Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2019, 5:53 pm

I struggle to cope with changing/different ways of doing things . I've worked myself up about the touch screen cash machine outside Sainsburys . My stepdaughter has said she will show me , but I'm not good with spoken instructions . I really need such things written down. A few people have mentioned 'auditory processing disorder ' with regards to my difficulty with spoken information /instructions , but I'm not at all sure about that .

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2019, 5:55 pm

I think you're a cool guy.....

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2019, 5:56 pm

Let her show you how. Even if it takes a few times. :)

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2019, 6:00 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I think you're a cool guy.....

Thanks for that but I was never cool, not even in my younger days .

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2019, 6:02 pm

Do you know your ATM password?

All you have to do is type in the password, then press "enter."

Then enter how much money you want to take out.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2019, 6:07 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
Let her show you how. Even if it takes a few times. :)

I'll of course let her show me .

Your signature is interesting . My father being from Birmingham and into model railways/trains was a GWR enthusiast . When I lived at home he had a shed especially for his trains . He also had a fair number of books about the GWR .

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2019, 6:12 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Do you know your ATM password?

All you have to do is type in the password, then press "enter."

Then enter how much money you want to take out.

I know my 4 digit pin number , and have no difficulty using a non touch screen cash machine . The touch screen one outside Sainsburys though really flummoxed me .

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2019, 8:07 pm

Be brave Firemonkey. You can conquer the touch screen.

Things that first seem confusing become familiar.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2019, 8:11 pm

Marybird wrote:
Be brave Firemonkey. You can conquer the touch screen.

Things that first seem confusing become familiar.

I'm a lifetime member of coward's anonymous . There's not a brave bone in my body .

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2019, 4:00 am

firemonkey wrote:
I struggle to cope with changing/different ways of doing things . I've worked myself up about the touch screen cash machine outside Sainsburys . My stepdaughter has said she will show me , but I'm not good with spoken instructions . I really need such things written down. A few people have mentioned 'auditory processing disorder ' with regards to my difficulty with spoken information /instructions , but I'm not at all sure about that .

I have the same problem. It's hard to remember verbal instructions and too easy to get distracted by surrounding noise. I just started a new job and have to do some new things on a large workfloor in front of others, which I hate. But, I bet you can learn, like me, when shown the right way. I try to use these things as an opportunity to be okay with not being perfect, though something like a new ATM system would make me panic. I hope you feel better about it soon.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2019, 4:25 am

i useta hafta write instructions out for my late mother. i write instructions out for meself as well.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2019, 4:26 am

firemonkey wrote:

you are no stupider than me, IMHO. 'course i'm not the very sharpest pencil in the box but that is a discussion for another time. i wish this were a smaller world so i could help you with that machine.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2019, 4:30 am

Your not effing stupid lol...
Think about it
It's a shop (yuck)
It's got loads of
People
Noise
Movement
Lights
Colours
Tiny writing
Unclear queueing
Everything is unpredictable and you need to find things, kinda sound like a torture task.

Then you get to the self service till... she starts barking instructions at you from the outset, and boy o boy you wont forget to pack up quickly, cuz the verbal prompt to move on is repeated til you do... The amount of times I've wanted to shout 'shut the f up' at those machines. Lol
I prefer the human checkout sometimes, they are usually more polite.
Anyone with sensitivities is going to be in a heightened state by the time they reach the till. A stressed brain can't help but feel overwhelmed and we are least receptive to learning when in this state.
Edit
Forgot to mention... be kinder to yourself, you're comparing yourself to digital natives link

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2019, 6:24 am

I've only ever used the self service machines at the supermarket if someone is with me. Libraries in the UK are now self service , and I've only taken 1 book out of a library(again with someone with me) since then .

I'm very far from the most gifted person when it comes to anything at all technological. New things makes me anxious .

There's also the issue of holding up irate NTs if I struggle to use a self service machine etc .

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2019, 6:25 am

firemonkey wrote:
I've only ever used the self service machines at the supermarket if someone is with me. Libraries in the UK are now self service , and I've only taken 1 book out of a library(again with someone with me) since then .
I'm very far from the most gifted person when it comes to anything at all technological. New things makes me anxious .
There's also the issue of holding up irate NTs if I struggle to use a self service machine etc .

if any of those irate NTs had any brains, they would just help you get the thing done so as to save you and themselves time. enlightened self interest seems rare in today's world.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2019, 6:30 am

auntblabby wrote:
firemonkey wrote:
you are no stupider than me, IMHO. 'course i'm not the very sharpest pencil in the box but that is a discussion for another time. i wish this were a smaller world so i could help you with that machine.

Thanks for your kind words . I'm the typical spiky profile type. To use an analogy - I'm to fluid intelligence what the New York Mets were in the national league in the early 60s.