ANXITEY. How does it effect you and how does it feel?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2019, 11:41 am

For me, I feel a feeling of an internal injectption of some sort of fluid... And then the anxiety takes effect flowing into a partial shutdown which if not dealt with, terminates in a compkete shutdown.
I actually feel this substance injecting itself downward into my body as if someone is emptying a syringe.

You will have already read how partial and full shutdowns effect me in a physical way.

I write this because we are all different. Does anyone else feel this injection of soe sort of fluid type feeling when you get anxiety?

What about your experiences? How does anxiety effect you? (It makes me end up on the floor in a partial shutdown or worse still, a shutdown).

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2019, 11:44 am

I sometimes get physical symptoms with anxiety----like stomach pains and muscle pains.

I also become unable to "do two things at once," and I make lots of mistakes.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2019, 11:52 am

One thing I want to ask. I can often feel the blood flowing through my veins. When I said this to a nurse who was going to take some of my blood, she told me off saying it is impossible and no one can feel their blood. It came up in conversation of why I sometimes end up with either fainting or shutting down. I can feel the blood leaving my body and being sucked into the syringe, which makes me shut down as it is such an unpleasant feeling. It feels horrible. The needle going in is bad enough, but the feeling of my blood being sucked up... 8O :mrgreen:
Was she right when she said that no one can feel that? I know I do.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2019, 11:53 am

What you're experiencing is called "palpitations."

It's a characteristic of anxiety to have "palpitations."

People can also have them when they are not anxious. But it is more common when somebody is anxious.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2019, 11:59 am

Aren't palpatations to do with the heart, where the heart flutters etc?
The feeling I get is different I think. It seems to come from the heart area though but it feels like a sudden release of fluid that drops downwards towards my stomache.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2019, 12:01 pm

I've never had that exact feeling.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2019, 12:04 pm

Emotions and Physical Feeling

Hi MG,

My therapist gave me an actual chart showing what each of the different emotions commonly feels like for our bodies. I will have to dig up the chart but in the meantime I thought you might find this link interesting, albeit scientific. The diagrams in this link are similar to what my therapist gave me. I find the diagrams useful when trying to name or describe the emotions I am having, or when I need to read my body signals as they occur.

I didn't even know what hunger felt like until I was taught. 8O

For me, anxiety is much like the diagram but I also feel like my arms shrivel up or cringe. My body feels like it wants to fold up into an origami cube, and disappear.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2019, 12:21 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Emotions and Physical Feeling

Hi MG,

My therapist gave me an actual chart showing what each of the different emotions commonly feels like for our bodies. I will have to dig up the chart but in the meantime I thought you might find this link interesting, albeit scientific. The diagrams in this link are similar to what my therapist gave me. I find the diagrams useful when trying to name or describe the emotions I am having, or when I need to read my body signals as they occur.

I didn't even know what hunger felt like until I was taught. 8O

For me, anxiety is much like the diagram but I also feel like my arms shrivel up or cringe. My body feels like it wants to fold up into an origami cube, and disappear.

Hunger. I know that. When your body tries to eat itself from inside.

I don't seem very good at associating feelings with colours.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2019, 12:48 pm

This might be weird coming from me, but I prefer feeling anxiety over depression (even though anxiety isn't pleasant). To me, depression feels like I'm in an isolated place with nobody or nothing around me except for tumbleweed blowing about, with no escape. Sort of like an empty, lonely feeling.
Anxiety to me is feeling helpless, overthinking, and overexpressing what I'm feeling. I do have a tendency to overthink and overanalyze. I can't help it. It seems to be the way my brain is wired. But at least with anxiety I don't get that horrible empty, isolated feeling that I get with depression. Depression often brings on other negative emotions like anger and self-loathing. Anxiety brings on panic, fear and begging for reassurance.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2019, 2:18 pm

I feel angry, frustrated, stressed, things easily annoy me and it doesn't take me long to be provoked. Extreme anxiety also changes me as a person and I am someone else, I become this mean violent person but that is very rare and it only happens if I am forced in a situation and I can't get out of it. I have no way of walking away. It's like entrapment.

Anxiety also comes with worry too and paranoid thoughts when I don't understand what is happening and why it happened so my brain starts to make things up because my brain is wired to want to know answers or else it makes things up for answers to fill in those holes. It also makes me overthink things because it wants answers to why it happened and my brain doesn't understand you won't ever know the answer because you cannot get inside that person's head to know why. I think it's just wired to know answers and find them. This pisses people off when I do it but I have no control over it. It does it automatically.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2019, 2:26 pm

I am concerned as earlier on today I had the anxiety experience. I am worried as it has not gone away, even though I am relaxing, and have been relaxing for a few hours. It started when my youngest brother asked me to fix the electrical light in the barn. I am not an electrician. Also I am not at all good with heights. He knows that, but he often claims I do nothing. (I have been trying my best to de-stress foe a few years). I am so fragile these days. I almoat had an instant partial shutdown and had to use the little strength I had to walk off and head into the house. But since then, I have been feeling the same. I tried lying down in our top field. Then I tried lying in our challet which we call a retreat. Then I decided to lie down on my bed, and about an hour ago I came downstairs for food. I still feel the same. I have not managed to shake it off. Ummm.
I don't like being fragile. This is how I felt in work. After about a week after leaving work, for a little while I became less fragile. But now it has returned. Just like that. I maybe over tired. Uhmm.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2019, 3:52 pm

If I can recall;

Impulsivity, inattention, more 'awkwardness', intrusive or unnecessary worrying, over thinking, procrastination, withdrawal, aversion of certain tasks and changes, sensory intolerance, mild tremors, stronger indecisiveness, certain degree of perfectionism or higher standards, 'need for assurance', increased 'rigidity', and strong yet effective fear based like motivation, worsen executive dysfunction, gastrointestinal sensations, heart palpitations, more frequent headaches, 'little to no intuition', less mental stamina, more prone to overreactions, rational overcompensations, degrees of alexithymia (anxiety as a muffling 'noise' and 'weight'), prosocial egocentrism...

It's also not an ideal mix in my current environments.
So many of these effects clashes with my 'paths', personality and preferences.
That I would have to overcome all of it before my adulthood instead of it being stuck with me while having to function with it; in other words, I cannot afford anxiety.
It makes me more 'unstable' and more consistently changed for the worse than I'm already been without it.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2019, 9:04 pm

Depending on the severity I can feel:

-Like my mind is a spinning wheel on ice that can't get any traction.
-A feeling of dread like something terrible is going to happen
-Rapid breathing
-A pain in my chest
-Tingling, numbness in my limbs
-An uncontrollable urge to shake my leg

Anxiety is hell. Never felt as helpless as I did when I was having panic attacks.

squiggle7
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Sep 2019, 12:17 pm

The only way I can explain anxiety is that it feels like my body starts buzzing with electricity, first in my chest area and then it spreads out over the rest of my body to the point of feeling sick and hard to breathe. I often get an urge to want to run as it feels like that would help but it doesn't (maybe because I suck at running).

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 3:34 pm

Antrax and Squighle7. You both have different feelings then I do when you feel anxiety. Totally different I think.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 3:38 pm

Edna3362 wrote:
If I can recall;

Impulsivity, inattention, more 'awkwardness', intrusive or unnecessary worrying, over thinking, procrastination, withdrawal, aversion of certain tasks and changes, sensory intolerance, mild tremors, stronger indecisiveness, certain degree of perfectionism or higher standards, 'need for assurance', increased 'rigidity', and strong yet effective fear based like motivation, worsen executive dysfunction, gastrointestinal sensations, heart palpitations, more frequent headaches, 'little to no intuition', less mental stamina, more prone to overreactions, rational overcompensations, degrees of alexithymia (anxiety as a muffling 'noise' and 'weight'), prosocial egocentrism...

It's also not an ideal mix in my current environments.
So many of these effects clashes with my 'paths', personality and preferences.
That I would have to overcome all of it before my adulthood instead of it being stuck with me while having to function with it; in other words, I cannot afford anxiety.
It makes me more 'unstable' and more consistently changed for the worse than I'm already been without it.

A few of those I get, but you have put so many details I can't think what it feels like even though I have had it today and am feeling it to a lesser degree now.