Did you have a lot of tantrums as a kid?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2019, 11:03 am

I was prone to temper tantrums as a kid. I didn't take disappointment very well, even as a teenager. I remember one time when I was 13, I was really excited about a sleepover with my cousin, but then the sleepover got cancelled, and I lost it. I jumped around the living-room, screaming and crying. I finally calmed down when my mum quickly arranged for another cousin to stay for a sleepover (she was a younger cousin). I think my mum did that because I was rather socially isolated at that age and she knew I craved company. So she wasn't angry with me for having a tantrum (she wasn't the one who cancelled the sleepover).

I remember having a tantrum when I was 10, when me and my family were staying in a beach house for a weekend. The beach house had 3 bedrooms, which meant me and my brother had one bedroom each. But I didn't want to sleep in a bedroom on my own, I wanted my brother to share with me, as there were 2 beds in each room. When I asked him and he said no, I threw a tantrum. I laid on the couch, screaming and kicking, hoping he would give in, but he didn't. In the end I calmed down and accepted that I had to sleep on my own.

Anyway, did you have a lot of tantrums as a kid?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2019, 11:12 am

I had quite a few. Yes.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2019, 11:22 am

I remember being sullen, withdrawn, shy and shut down, always wanting to be alone. I didn't like answering questions or having any change in my routine (e.g., travel) and I had a lot of sensory issues. Despite this I don't remember having demonstrative meltdowns. My mother surprised me by saying that I was a very moody, stubborn child and that I did have a lot of tantrums even in my adolescence. I was quite shocked to hear this because I don't remember tantrums or meltdowns. My brother agrees they happened.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2019, 11:29 am

I could be quite bolshy and sulky compared to my brother and sister . I'm not sure it ever reached tantrum level though.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2019, 11:40 am

never .

I didnt speak til i was 8 but i didnt have any tantrums or meltdowns either
I was mute and the only time i ever cried was when was I hurt myself

otherwise i just let everything soak in and was just in my own world and very happy

I didnt always like getting dressed (my mum dressed me
but I didnt scream or cry when she tried to dress me i just wriggled away crossly

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2019, 12:27 pm

To the point of disability... And I still get them. For a time in my 20's mostly I had few meltdowns, but now they are getting worse under the stress of being married to someone with some severe problems of his own.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2019, 12:40 pm

Well yes, most do, but I'm not sure which ones were normal tantrums and which ones meltdowns caused by sensory issues and such. I definitely had both, though.

psychogirl
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Sep 2019, 1:01 pm

I remember being told I was very whiney. I was shy and cried a lot, but don’t think I really had tantrums when younger. I didn’t really start to lose it until I was in my teens.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2019, 1:36 pm

psychogirl wrote:
I remember being told I was very whiney. I was shy and cried a lot, but don’t think I really had tantrums when younger. I didn’t really start to lose it until I was in my teens.

I did whine a lot too. I think it was related to my anxiety though, or maybe I used whining as a way of stimming perhaps. But at the time I didn't know I was whining, then everybody got into the habit of saying 'stop moaning'. I got so sick of being told those same words, that I finally managed to work on differentiating what is whining and what wasn't and when it's an appropriate time to whine and when it isn't. So I rarely get told to stop moaning or complaining any more.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2019, 1:44 pm

I once threw a tantrum in front of my dad.

Once.

After that, I did as I was told.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2019, 1:45 pm

I cried a lot when I was a kid and also couldn't handle hurt feelings and when I had no control of a situation and whenever I thought my mom wasn't listening to me when I would be upset, I would attack her. I didn't attack other kids unless provoked. It was a matter of see things my way or I would get very frustrated and start crying and argue with you until you understood me. I think now it was a matter of an adult not agreeing with me but to me they were not listening. But I am sure I was not listening to them as well because I also didn't agree with them so I kept on telling them my side and would get louder and louder and cry and argue. Probably another reason why my school decided I had behavior problems.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2019, 1:54 pm

I once reacted very badly to a babysitter that she said she'd never babysit for my parents again . That was probably my biggest tantrum . She was reckoned to be the best babysitter in San Francisco . It was the only time I can remember that my father spanked me .

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2019, 2:26 pm

What I had weren't really tantrums, I don't think, but rather meltdowns because I couldn't handle my emotions. I never did it deliberately to try to get my way or anything, but it probably did look like that was what I was doing because sometimes I just couldn't handle being told "no." I remember as an older child, I'd even go up to my room to do it because I knew what I needed was some time alone to get it out.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2019, 2:50 pm

I was prone to crying when I was in grade school and middle school in part because I was bullied a lot.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2019, 3:24 pm

I had tantrums more at home though, not so much out in public. I went through a phase of tantrums when I was 4-5 at school, but I grew out of having tantrums at school when I got to 6. But the tantrums carried on at home. But I didn't have tantrums every day. I was also very hyperactive.

CubsBullsBears
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2019, 4:29 pm

Between the ages of 9 and 12 was when I melted down the most. And oooh, boy were there a lot of them.

Had a meltdown a few times for losing in sorry or trouble.

Twice in my 4th grade year, I punched 2 different paras over silly reasons.

Got angry at my gym teacher when we didn’t play the game I wanted to play in adaptive PE.

Melted down at my grandparents house because my parents couldn’t pick me up at 5 when I had a baseball game at 5:30(I should’ve just asked my grandma to take me to my parents house to get my stuff, and then to the game

We’d have adaptive PE AND regular PE every Wednesday of my 5th grade year. One Wednesday I was sick, and when I came back the next day and it wasn’t a gym day at all, I threw a fit about it. I even remember going to the principals office that day.

Had a meltdown when a field trip in 6th grade got cancelled.

So much more.