Are all autistic individuals very intelligent?

Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Spede
Raven
Raven

01 Oct 2019, 2:33 pm

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2019, 2:36 pm

No.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2019, 2:38 pm

Please try to avoid using "all" and "autism" in the same sentence. I know I'm not 'very intelligent' and I don't care to be either.

Spede
Raven
Raven

01 Oct 2019, 2:41 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Please try to avoid using "all" and "autism" in the same sentence. I know I'm not 'very intelligent' and I don't care to be either.

Okay, sorry My Bad.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2019, 2:51 pm

Sometimes I think that I'm intelligent, while other times I feel like I'm barely average.

I'm not even a high school graduate. If I hadn't been bullied constantly, put on medication that only made my anxiety worse, and was actually diagnosed with Asperger's it might have been different?

Most things I do know a lot about is stuff people don't *need* to know about.

Some people have said that I'm intelligent, but should I really have believed them? They also once said I a "bright future ahead of me". Yeahhh right. :roll:

Donald Morton
Toucan
Toucan

01 Oct 2019, 3:07 pm

I think that ppl on the spectrum are the same as you find in the general NT population. There are some very intelligent, some of moderate intelligence, and still others at the lower levels. I can only speak for myself as having above average intelligence.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2019, 3:10 pm

I actually think that they all might be

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2019, 3:12 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Sorry to disappoint you Joe, but I think you are quite an intelligent person.

Wreck It Ralph

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2019, 3:18 pm

On what terms exactly?

Because I'm hell sure that the majority of autistics grew up severely mismanaged and brought up wrongly, even with all the support, services and accomodations available. I won't be surprised that the majority of the world IS...

All I know is that autism itself is not for the rigid and weak minded, it's not for the faint of heart and cowards.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2019, 3:22 pm

Edna3362 wrote:
All I know is that autism itself is not for the rigid and weak minded, it's not for the faint of heart and cowards.
I love this. Can I quote you all the time?

Wreck It Ralph

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2019, 3:26 pm

skibum wrote:
Edna3362 wrote:

I don't mind. :lol: Go on.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2019, 3:41 pm

Edna3362 wrote:
skibum wrote:
Edna3362 wrote:

I don't mind. :lol: Go on.
Thank you, it's brilliant and so true. :D

Wreck It Ralph

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2019, 3:46 pm

Spede wrote:

That is like asking "Are all NT's (People not on the autistic spectrum) intelligent".

It is a good question to ask, as if you never ask you will never know! :mrgreen:

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2019, 3:55 pm

MG, just to be persnickety, NT actually means people with a typically developed neurological system. There are lots of people who are not Autistic but who are also not NTs because they have neurological systems that are not typically developed. They just don't have Autism. The word for not Autistic is actually Allistic.

Wreck It Ralph

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2019, 3:59 pm

skibum wrote:
MG, just to be persnickety, NT actually means people with a typically developed neurological system. There are lots of people who are not Autistic but who are also not NTs because they have neurological systems that are not typically developed. They just don't have Autism. The word for not Autistic is actually Allistic.

Ooh. These terms are all new to me. Ok. Allistic.. Lets see if I can remember that one! Haha!

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2019, 4:01 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
skibum wrote:

Ooh. These terms are all new to me. Ok. Allistic.. Lets see if I can remember that one! Haha!
No worries! They were new to me too a few years ago! :D

Wreck It Ralph