Are all autistic individuals very intelligent?

Page 4 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 5:49 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
I'm not even annoyed anymore when people are genuinely confused about "how can somebody so smart be so stupid" - I know they have a point.

I'm less annoyed but more frustrated and puzzled that even psych professionals have difficulty picking up on why you might be smart in some ways and much less smart in other ways .

Yet another pdoc called me intelligent today. It was the typical ,fairly short interaction where verbal skills are to the fore . I wouldn't use the R word but I'm definitely much nearer being intellectually disabled in some ways than intelligent .

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2019, 2:06 am

firemonkey wrote:
BenderRodriguez wrote:
I'm not even annoyed anymore when people are genuinely confused about "how can somebody so smart be so stupid" - I know they have a point.

I'm less annoyed but more frustrated and puzzled that even psych professionals have difficulty picking up on why you might be smart in some ways and much less smart in other ways .

Yet another pdoc called me intelligent today. It was the typical ,fairly short interaction where verbal skills are to the fore . I wouldn't use the R word but I'm definitely much nearer being intellectually disabled in some ways than intelligent .

I know what you're saying - when I was younger I would get in trouble with people who thought that since I was obviously intelligent, behaviours that they considered inappropriate, defiant etc must be deliberate. Most people operate on such assumptions. On the other hand, NTs of my intelligence would not have made the mistakes I did and neither myself or others knew back then that I wasn't NT.

As for the "R word", I use it like skibum, not in its pejorative sense but the actual one: delayed.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2019, 2:08 am

BDavro wrote:
Our brain development is somehow ret*d, compared to the normal brain, average.

I am rather fond of our particular retardation.

Yep on the first and on the second one too, although it has been a pain in the back too. Seems to keep me young though :P