Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Cloudman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Oct 2019, 9:38 am

I’m trying to get my license I’m a new driver been practicing a long time got better, but still need more work. Do any of you drive? How good are u? What are some of your experiences, strengths weaknesses what helps you cope and how did u pass the test?

harry12345
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Oct 2019, 11:37 am

Drive sensibly, but don't dawdle.

Leave your self plenty of room in front, but not so much that every one pulls out of side streets on you.

Don't drive into closing gaps, and make sure if you are driving into a constricted space you have room to escape to if needed.

On your test especially - make the examiner aware (by clear head movement) that you are checking your mirrors and looking around. They cannot see your eyes move, but they can see your head move.

And one thing that everybody should take on board is "the right of way". Whilst you can claim the right of way (or the high ground) - according to the highway code - sometimes it is prudent (and considerate) to cede that right of way to others.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2019, 11:49 am

I'm learning from my dad, practicing in a big parking lot at the local community college when classes aren't in session so it's empty. Mostly it's just been turning and keeping straight, but on my last lesson, we added in trying to stay in a lane. I'm still driving super slowly, barely touching the gas, kind of scared to go any faster. Not sure if I'll ever be able to pass the written test due to memory issues caused by ECT, I may not be able to remember the rules of the road adequately, but we're at least giving it a shot.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2019, 12:21 pm

There is an old saying "Practice makes perfect".
The more you drive the more natural driving becomes.
I have driven over a million miles in my lifetime and it is very natural and not very stressful.

As an Aspie I generally apply a couple rules.
1. I always put my full focus on driving. I avoid all distractions (cell phones, conversations). I practice being aware of everything around me (in front, behind, to the sides) at all times.
2. I practice defensive driving techniques. And I always allow one car length distance for every 10 miles of driving speed between my car and the car in front of me.

harry12345
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Oct 2019, 12:33 pm

jimmy m wrote:
I have driven over a million miles in my lifetime and it is very natural and not very stressful.

1. I always put my full focus on driving. I avoid all distractions (cell phones, conversations). I practice being aware of everything around me (in front, behind, to the sides) at all times.
2. I practice defensive driving techniques. And I always allow one car length distance for every 10 miles of driving speed between my car and the car in front of me.

I've started being a lot more defensive in my driving. There are so many impatient people about, more so than ever before.

I mean the other day I was driving up the left hand lane of a two lane slip road accelerating upto 50mph, which is the speedlimit of the road at the top. I was signaling right.... I knew there was a BMW behind me and I knew they were going to try and get past. They would have arrived level with me just at the point when I was trying to join the dual carriage way. They would have taken away "my space" and more importantly "my sight lines". So I moved across on them. They didn't like it and as soon as we were on the DCW they blasted past, and then a quarter mile later they exited the next slip road off the DCW.

I could have driven up the slip road in the RHL, but then all they would have done was undertake me on the left.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2019, 12:59 pm

harry12345 wrote:
I've started being a lot more defensive in my driving. There are so many impatient people about, more so than ever before.

I mean the other day I was driving up the left hand lane of a two lane slip road accelerating upto 50mph, which is the speedlimit of the road at the top. I was signaling right.... I knew there was a BMW behind me and I knew they were going to try and get past. They would have arrived level with me just at the point when I was trying to join the dual carriage way. They would have taken away "my space" and more importantly "my sight lines". So I moved across on them. They didn't like it and as soon as we were on the DCW they blasted past, and then a quarter mile later they exited the next slip road off the DCW.

I could have driven up the slip road in the RHL, but then all they would have done was undertake me on the left.

That may be true. But there were many individuals driving crazy when I was a mere lad of 16. That was 65 years ago. (If truth be told, I was probably one of those crazy drivers way back then.) I am only responsible for my actions on the road. I avoid accidents. If I see someone driving too slow and then too fast, or someone weaving from one side to the other, it automatically triggers me to think they might be drunk - so I give them plenty of space. If I see someone talking on a cellphone while they are driving I give them more space. I try and avoid being pulled into an accident. I am cautious and I avoid potential dangers including other bad drivers.

mrpostman_7901
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Oct 2019, 1:28 pm

How long have you been practicing for? I have a New York state driver's license, and I passed my test on the 2nd try back in April 2018 after eight months of practice. My parents were very supportive, and they let me drive their cars, so I practiced quite a lot with their supervision. As a result of New York's strict GDL requirements (6 months to earn a junior license plus 50 hours of mandatory practice) and my experience driving in nine other states (Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, and Washington D.C.) often on long stretches of highway or busy streets, my driving skills are improved at home. In the beginning, I was not that skilled and had several close calls, one where I turned left and passed IN FRONT of a truck, but I didn't get into an accident. Some people where I live tend to drive aggressively, so that incentivizes me to pay attention and communicate with other drivers. I've never been pulled over or involved in a single accident in over two years of driving, and that's a result of the attention to detail and of course, Waze police reports. Practice with a driving instructor, don't drive distracted (the roads are busy enough already), and be consistent.

Dimples123
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Oct 2019, 2:19 pm

I would look into seeing if there's some sort of program for autistic drivers.

Cloudman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Oct 2019, 2:40 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:
I'm learning from my dad, practicing in a big parking lot at the local community college when classes aren't in session so it's empty. Mostly it's just been turning and keeping straight, but on my last lesson, we added in trying to stay in a lane. I'm still driving super slowly, barely touching the gas, kind of scared to go any faster. Not sure if I'll ever be able to pass the written test due to memory issues caused by ECT, I may not be able to remember the rules of the road adequately, but we're at least giving it a shot.
prgress is progress ypu should pass its just about reviewing the questions if you can its best to get the exact test question then keep quizzing yourself untill you pass. You also can't be nervous just warm up and drive. It just ends up holding you back
I also have bad memory the key is just do what you see others do which is not illigal and sturdy the laws more than others cirlcle every law question tgen restudy them good luck. We just need to accept we wont be perfect drivers but will be safe and get to our destination

Cloudman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Oct 2019, 3:15 pm

harry12345 wrote:
Drive sensibly, but don't dawdle.

Leave your self plenty of room in front, but not so much that every one pulls out of side streets on you.

Don't drive into closing gaps, and make sure if you are driving into a constricted space you have room to escape to if needed.

On your test especially - make the examiner aware (by clear head movement) that you are checking your mirrors and looking around. They cannot see your eyes move, but they can see your head move.

And one thing that everybody should take on board is "the right of way". Whilst you can claim the right of way (or the high ground) - according to the highway code - sometimes it is prudent (and considerate) to cede that right of way to others.
your right the examiner told me i was too focused on the back up camra and not looking around

harry12345
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Oct 2019, 3:40 pm

jimmy m wrote:
harry12345 wrote:

That may be true. But there were many individuals driving crazy when I was a mere lad of 16. That was 65 years ago. (If truth be told, I was probably one of those crazy drivers way back then.) I am only responsible for my actions on the road. I avoid accidents. If I see someone driving too slow and then too fast, or someone weaving from one side to the other, it automatically triggers me to think they might be drunk - so I give them plenty of space. If I see someone talking on a cellphone while they are driving I give them more space. I try and avoid being pulled into an accident. I am cautious and I avoid potential dangers including other bad drivers.

You and me both..... :lol: :lol: I was very much a boy racer when I was younger, but I never did (and never do) intentionally break the speed limit. There are some crazy narrow country roads near were I live, and I used to "explore the limits" so to speak.

I am amazed sometimes when I am really concentrating how much information I can take in about my surroundings. I am sure it is more than most.

You are right though, drivers should be aware all the time and not put themselves in a position that is dangerous. As an example. The other day I was on the Motorway in "monsoon" rain. Poor visibility and lots of standing water. So I found myself a coach and stopped behind it in it's wheel tracks that were cleared of a lot of the standing water..... :wink:

Cloudman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Oct 2019, 5:09 pm

mrpostman_7901 wrote:
How long have you been practicing for? I have a New York state driver's license, and I passed my test on the 2nd try back in April 2018 after eight months of practice. My parents were very supportive, and they let me drive their cars, so I practiced quite a lot with their supervision. As a result of New York's strict GDL requirements (6 months to earn a junior license plus 50 hours of mandatory practice) and my experience driving in nine other states (Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, and Washington D.C.) often on long stretches of highway or busy streets, my driving skills are improved at home. In the beginning, I was not that skilled and had several close calls, one where I turned left and passed IN FRONT of a truck, but I didn't get into an accident. Some people where I live tend to drive aggressively, so that incentivizes me to pay attention and communicate with other drivers. I've never been pulled over or involved in a single accident in over two years of driving, and that's a result of the attention to detail and of course, Waze police reports. Practice with a driving instructor, don't drive distracted (the roads are busy enough already), and be consistent.
not long only a few months it’s been off and on for me my mom has no car and my father does not help much. I have a cousin but the thing is when he criticizes me it’s sometimes things which I already know and feel like I’m being reminded more of my disability rather than solutions. I also noticed that this instructor started to give up on me. He gave me this you should know this vibe and got different once he seen I was learning at a different pace like I wasn’t learning. I can just afford lessons but, not many about once every 2 weeks and I drive less than that about once a month

Cloudman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Oct 2019, 5:13 pm

Dimples123 wrote:
I would look into seeing if there's some sort of program for autistic drivers.

I’m not diagnosed so it’s difficult, but I found a program tho they take two months just to get me approved for more lessons. I can only get one sometimes. Then have to wait for the next fiscal year.

Cloudman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Oct 2019, 5:20 pm

jimmy m wrote:

thanks I’ve thought about defensive driving great ideas. your right I need more practice

Canadian Penguin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Oct 2019, 10:24 pm

Driving is one of those things where experience counts for a lot, so the more you practice the better it will be.

One of the things I like to do is to assume that the other driver is going to do something stupid. I believe that that makes you more alert and better able to react.

Staying focused on driving isn't difficult but that requires practice as well. I find it exhausting to drive. You're sitting and not really doing much physical activity, but remaining focused is tiring.

Cloudman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Oct 2019, 9:27 am

Canadian Penguin wrote:
Driving is one of those things where experience counts for a lot, so the more you practice the better it will be.

One of the things I like to do is to assume that the other driver is going to do something stupid. I believe that that makes you more alert and better able to react.

Staying focused on driving isn't difficult but that requires practice as well. I find it exhausting to drive. You're sitting and not really doing much physical activity, but remaining focused is tiring.

Yea I understand I feel like as I drive my stamina to focus gets better. That makes sense you need to have a way to keep your mind alert not a bad idea at all