Considering acquisition of feliform companionship

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2019, 5:36 am

Nice one Wolfram.
I've been feeding stray cats, hoping to tame them just enough to get them spayed/snipped.
Dont want them to loose their semi feral ways, as I will move on at some point, but know they have fleas, worms and are destined for a life of constant fighting, injuries and pregnancy.
I've found just watching them or limited interaction with them to be therapeutic.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2019, 5:52 am

Pets have been common companions throughout human history, but times have changed, and now they throw nature even farther out of balance. We early boomers have been the first to ever see world population triple, while writing major extinctions into the fossil record, along with a toxic layer. Cats are carnivorous, so if you don't have enough mice and birds for them, they will probably feed on animals that have displaced wild cats. https://xkcd.com/1338/ All the wild species on earth now account for only a tiny percentage of life on land.
I took in a stray one winter, and searched for the best vegan cat food recipes. It ate enormous amounts, retaining almost nothing, and left after two weeks. I'd rather feed a refugee.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2019, 6:00 am

Dear_one wrote:
vegan cat food

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnivore ... carnivores

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2019, 7:18 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
Thank you all for your input! I am now on the mailing list for a litter of Angoras planned for early 2020 or so. :)

Your welcome. But angoras long haired beasties ..hope you have a adequate vaccum, to clean house? But seriously lovely kitties .

where ever you go ,there you are

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2019, 7:40 pm

Jakki wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:
Thank you all for your input! I am now on the mailing list for a litter of Angoras planned for early 2020 or so. :)

Your welcome. But angoras long haired beasties ..hope you have a adequate vaccum, to clean house? But seriously lovely kitties .

Oh, but the hair is so soft! You can sit all day running your fingers through an angora kitties fur. I spent the afternoon that way today. :heart:

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2019, 6:22 am

They are hairy little beasties, but from what I understand they shed a little less and require less fur maintenance owing to thier lack of an undercoat. Seems a fair compromise. Here are some more pics from the breeder.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3lv7VflIuH/?utm_source=ig_web_options_share_sheet

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzfplO6CupU/?utm_source=ig_web_options_share_sheet

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzNmHIgC1Kc/?utm_source=ig_web_options_share_sheet

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwE6ZT0Af5W/?utm_source=ig_web_options_share_sheet

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bw1bHLvH4J4/?utm_source=ig_web_options_share_sheet

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2019, 6:36 am

Jakki wrote:
wondering here if i could find out if am allergic to a Lynx .. they are pretty .. same dander as a feline. .? MAYBE NOT .? Plus i would n-t worry about it getting mauled by another cat? Prolly eats too much food ?
Do cats help you to remember to feed yourself ? Vicariously?

These are supposed to be hypoallergenic cat breeds: https://www.homeoanimal.com/blogs/blog-pet-health/14-hypoallergenic-cat-breeds There are even some long-haired ones there; I seem to remember reading that what causes the allergy in their saliva, not the coat/dander (just ends up there).

Wolfram, I remember from other threads that you're obviously a cat lover and would make a great companion for them. You seem to have it all sorted, just a bit of advice from someone who recently adopted a kitten: if at all possible, take a week or at least a few days off work when the little one arrives, it will help a lot with settling in and helping him or her get comfy and secure. They usually come from a house with several people, their mother and the rest of the litter and need a bit of time to adapt.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2019, 6:38 am

That is excellent advice, and I will certainly do that. Thank you.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2019, 6:43 am

Wolfram87 wrote:

My pleasure and if you need anything else don't hesitate to ask - I ended up with a super-fussy eater and had to get really creative at times :lol:

Oh, and btw, when you're not at home make a t-shirt you've been wearing accessible, the kitten will feel comforted by your scent :)

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2019, 7:48 am

BenderRodriguez wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:

My pleasure and if you need anything else don't hesitate to ask - I ended up with a super-fussy eater and had to get really creative at times :lol:

Oh, and btw, when you're not at home make a t-shirt you've been wearing accessible, the kitten will feel comforted by your scent :)

Our kitty loves my husband’s scent. She’ll rub all over his jacket when he takes it off and loves nesting in his part of the closet. She likes a shawl of mine, but it’s mostly “Papa’s” clothes.

I would call the Angora a mid-length fur. It is so soft, it does not mat like a Persian’s will. She does love to be brushed, but it doesn’t seem to be technically necessary.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2019, 7:56 am

AnneOleson wrote:
BenderRodriguez wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:

Our kitty loves my husband’s scent. She’ll rub all over his jacket when he takes it off and loves nesting in his part of the closet. She likes a shawl of mine, but it’s mostly “Papa’s” clothes.

Same here, he gets in the armpit and it's sniff sniff sneeze purr purr fall asleep :lol:

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2019, 1:22 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
AnneOleson wrote:
BenderRodriguez wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:

Same here, he gets in the armpit and it's sniff sniff sneeze purr purr fall asleep :lol:

Exactly! She loves burrowing in my husband’s armpit!

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2019, 5:18 pm

Fluffy cats are a unique thing to keep up with; my lady friend has some cats and one of them is a very woolly one that needs lots of brushing & care.

Be careful feeding them. They can't be outdoors much due to their heavy fur, and get fat if kept inside and allowed to eat unrestricted.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2019, 1:39 am