How do you deal with stress of change

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

lvpin
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2020, 11:14 pm

Even when change is positive, as it thankfully is now, I tend to get stressed and freak out and it is very annoying. How on earth do I explain that the stress is because I'm happy to someone? I'd rather not have it but because that is probably not possible, I will settle for wanting just less.

I am very grateful/lucky to be in a nice environment where I am allowed to do things that make me feel comfortable more than ever and, as I am surrounded by people with similar interests, the amount of social interaction I now do has spiked to being a crazy amount higher and I am encountering many situations I have never dealt with.

I first had no friends, then went to a school where my friends were the outcasts so I was barely remembered and then to a girls school where I made my first decent sized group of friends. Now I'm in a mixed sixth form college, there are a lot of situations I must now navigate through that I never had to think of before. It's a big change.

How do you guys make peace with change if that has been possible for you?

timf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2020, 10:00 am

A new environment can be overwhelming. It can be helpful to "pepper" your time with familiar activities (reading, computer game, hobby, etc.) so that you can derive the comfort of the familiar until such time as you new surroundings become less alien.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2020, 1:34 pm

The Chinese write "Change" as "Danger + Opportunity." I look for the best of the possible new situations, and focus on getting there. The old ways become like a place to which I will never return.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2020, 4:59 pm

I'm not good at dealing with change. I need to know at least a few days in advance that I have an upcoming appointment, or that I am invited to a family gathering. I've always hated moving to a new home, as I hated the packing, and the change in place, and having to learn a new neighborhood, and new stores, etc.

In November 2018 I applied for a govt subsidized handicapped appointment. Regular govt subsidized apartments have a wait time of 18 months to 2 years to get in, so I naturally thought there'd be a long wait for the handicapped apartment. Boy was I wrong! Less than a month later the manager at the apartment complex notified me that a handicapped unit was available. She said I could move right in or wait till the beginning of January. I had no packing done at that point, so I took the January date, and my relatives helped me pack, and move. Think Beverly Hillbillies style.--My brother's loaded one of their pickups and made several trips to the new apartment.

I still hated the move, but in this case, at least it was a positive move, as I really like my new apartment.

Funny thing. I moved up here to a trailer home in 2005, and used the Beverly Hillbilly method then, too. My stuff was overloading my younger brother's pickup, and my Jeep Cherokee, but we got it all done in one trip. It was a long drive then, but my latest move was a much shorter distance.

I still hate change, but if I have time to deal with it I handle it better.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2020, 12:15 pm

Moved from NY to GA, wasn't right for 2 years. The only reason why my mental state improved was because I went back north to visit with some family back in the tristate area. I'm not kidding when I say I was messed up though. My period was even off beat in that 2 year time span and literally took that long to get back to normal.