Do morbid interests make me a bit of a weirdo ?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2020, 2:08 pm

I seem to think that my interests and fascinations in morbid subjects such as reading books on crimes and criminals (serial killers), wars and disasters in history etc make me feel sometimes like I am a bit strange and that if other people find out that's what you are into to be strange. I don't know why and I probably shouldn't be, because surely there is nothing wrong with being interested in reading about that stuff as I have seen other people reading that stuff and shops sell books on topics like that. Should I start being into more lighter subjects or just be interested in whatever interests me ?

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2020, 2:15 pm

I have no idea but i am also interested in disturbing and morbid stuff like serial killers. I want to understand "evil" people and how their mind works :?

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2020, 2:33 pm

I seem to go through phases. I used to completely immerse myself in WWII books as a teenager(it haunted my dreams). I then moved on to horror, eventually on to people’s biographies, then read “The Red Ripper” and quite a few Stephen King and lots of Jeffery Deaver. Then, it was lots of books re bad relationships eg Sleeping with the Enemy, Gone Girl! I reached a point where I realised it was pretty unhealthy for me, so moved onto some fun novels, with a few lighthearted romances thrown in. I used to be a poet, have written 2 books. Love books! Prefer to create, art, train layouts... designing/sewing lately. I used to worry what would be thought of me for reading such dark books, but when I brought it up with others, discovered they’d read these books as well, so, from a psychology point of view, it was fascinating getting into the heads of those who are so far removed from my reality. Still, it does reach a point, when you need to question “Is this doing me more harm than good?”

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2020, 3:01 pm

Probably because most serial killers are found out to have an interest or fascination in serial killers or murdering. It does not mean you are a serial killer though and it also doesn't mean you are a bad person.

I want to write a story about disturbing things like school shootings, torture, murders, gore, Nazis, horror and death, but I'm afraid of people calling me insensitive if I did, even though my characters will all be fictional.

So, pretty gardens and flowers and peace and love my stories shall be.

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2020, 4:18 pm

Of course it does! Welcome to the club :D

I’m looking round my room, and there are piles of bones and skulls on the shelves, multiple books on the holocaust, Mao, Stalin: military histories of wars no-one remembers even happened, Victorian medical textbooks full of engravings of dissected cadavers...
Relax :D

You have an appreciation for the darker side of existence. :D
So do many people. :D
It’s fine. :D

My wife has framed insect specimens in the front room: “why can’t it be dead” is her wail of anguish upon seeing a live butterfly on the ground (apparently they almost never die with their wings open so you can see the markings)

Smile, be happy, and keep an eye out for dead birds!

Such elegance and grace in their skeletons... amazing, beautiful, a wonder of nature

:mrgreen:

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2020, 12:13 am

What does it say about the people that research and write these books?

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2020, 6:34 am

Additional thought in a less bouncy and bumptious frame of mind:

Morbid interests are only a problem if they are your only interests.

Eimaj98
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Feb 2020, 7:24 am

Not particularly, I love watching true crime shows about serial killers/murder investigations as I find the whole process quite fascinating but that's about as far as my interest goes. Once said show has finished I generally no longer think about whatever it was the show was about.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2020, 8:27 am

As long as they don’t affect the rest of your life, macabre interests shouldn’t be indicative of a problem.

And as long as you don’t object to those who don’t share those macabre interests.

If one starts idolizing people like Charles Manson or some dickhead like that, then there’s a problem.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2020, 9:58 am

By the way

I was always a bit of a weirdo; I am a bit of a weirdo today; I will certainly be a bit of weirdo tomorrow and beyond.

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2020, 10:10 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I was always a bit of a weirdo; I am a bit of a weirdo today; I will certainly be a bit of weirdo tomorrow and beyond.

A positive mantra to live by if ever I saw one. :D

collectoritis
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2020, 12:44 am

Saw a show about a man who killed a baby , 6 yrs later when he was released from jail he rented out a cabin in the woods , the two (a man & woman) who lived with him were tortured : burned underneath the feet with blow torch , bitten by two dogs then to top it off he tried to put the blame on the man for killing the woman , forcing him to write a suicide letter where he confessed to killing the woman....but the man did not have guts to commit suicide.

They burned the woman in a car.

He also thought they would not find deleted pics of the torture on the digital camera (they did)

Scary thing is it happened in Sweden and not in some Hwood film , he was busted in 2002

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2020, 11:47 am

As long as you don't act on your interests and hurt people or animals, there is nothing wrong with being a weirdo. A lot of people who have careers in forensics started out with such interests.

Wreck It Ralph