Page 1 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2019, 6:12 pm

Sulforaphane, a chemical found in cruciferous plants has been shown to clearly reduce Autism symptoms.
Well I guess it’s time to take in some Sulforaphane.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2019, 7:21 pm

It's an experimental treatment, but certainly not a total "cure." Better to look at academic journals and other professional literature rather than YouTube videos for info on stuff like this. See, for example:

- Sulforaphane Treatment of Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) – A Progress Report (N1.002) by Andrew Zimmerman, Eileen Diggins, Susan Connors, Kanwaljit Singh, Neurology, first published April 9, 2018.
- Sulforaphane for autism? Maybe by M. Alexander Otto, Clinical Neurology News, May 19, 2018
- Trial sprouts doubts about broccoli extract for autism by Nicholette Zeliadt, Spectrum News, 10 November 2014

TimS1980
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Oct 2019, 9:30 pm

I watched the videos and heard they language they scatter throughout.

I can see how this would look interesting through a medical model approach.

Personally, preferring the social model, there's a lot to disapprove of.

If the research can benefit some people despite the broken reasoning of spruikers, that might still be ok.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2019, 9:48 am

I looked into sulforaphane some time ago. On a trial one or two suffered epileptic fits that they didnt have before.

Was the epilepsy linked to this who knows?

More research needs to be done so tread carefully.

- George Bernie Shaw

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2019, 10:55 am

Sulforaphane is a chemical found in certain kinds of vegetables such as broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower. It is used for the prevention of prostate cancer and other types of cancer. It may increase the death of cancer cells.

Sulforaphane (SFN) is the most characterized isothiocyanate. SFN has received a great deal of attention because of its ability to simultaneously modulate multiple cellular targets involved in cancer development, including:

(i) DNA protection by modulating carcinogen-metabolizing enzymes and blocking the action of mutagens;
(ii) inhibition of cell proliferation and induction of apoptosis, thereby retarding or eliminating clonal expansion of initiated, transformed, and/or neoplastic cells;
(iii) inhibition of neoangiogenesis, progression of benign tumors to malignant tumors, and metastasis formation.

SFN is therefore able to prevent, delay, or reverse preneoplastic lesions, as well as to act on cancer cells as a therapeutic agent. Taking into account this evidence and its favorable toxicological profile, SFN can be viewed as a conceptually promising agent in cancer prevention and/or therapy. SFN is the hydrolysis product of glucoraphanin, particularly high in the young sprouts of broccoli and cauliflower. SFN can also be obtained by eating cruciferous vegetables such as brussel sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, bok choy, kale, collards, arugula, broccoli sprouts, chinese broccoli, broccoli raab, kohlrabi, mustard, turnip, radish, watercress and cabbage.

Source:
This Article from the U.S. National Library of Medicine's National Center for Biotechnology Information.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

GonHunter
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Oct 2019, 11:10 am

That's not going to work. When we cease to be ourselves, we end up corrupting ourselves, causing a Burnout.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2019, 11:36 am

GonHunter wrote:
That's not going to work. When we cease to be ourselves, we end up corrupting ourselves, causing a Burnout.
Many of us are already corrupted and burned-out.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2019, 5:53 pm

Fnord wrote:
Sulforaphane is a chemical found in certain kinds of vegetables such as broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower. It is used for the prevention of prostate cancer and other types of cancer. It may increase the death of cancer cells.

Sulforaphane (SFN) is the most characterized isothiocyanate. SFN has received a great deal of attention because of its ability to simultaneously modulate multiple cellular targets involved in cancer development, including:

(i) DNA protection by modulating carcinogen-metabolizing enzymes and blocking the action of mutagens;
(ii) inhibition of cell proliferation and induction of apoptosis, thereby retarding or eliminating clonal expansion of initiated, transformed, and/or neoplastic cells;
(iii) inhibition of neoangiogenesis, progression of benign tumors to malignant tumors, and metastasis formation.

SFN is therefore able to prevent, delay, or reverse preneoplastic lesions, as well as to act on cancer cells as a therapeutic agent. Taking into account this evidence and its favorable toxicological profile, SFN can be viewed as a conceptually promising agent in cancer prevention and/or therapy. SFN is the hydrolysis product of glucoraphanin, particularly high in the young sprouts of broccoli and cauliflower. SFN can also be obtained by eating cruciferous vegetables such as brussel sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, bok choy, kale, collards, arugula, broccoli sprouts, chinese broccoli, broccoli raab, kohlrabi, mustard, turnip, radish, watercress and cabbage.

Source:
This Article from the U.S. National Library of Medicine's National Center for Biotechnology Information.

Yes, in addition to easing Autism symptoms, it also lowers your risk of terminal Cancer. So you can hit 2 birds with 1 stone.

On the practical side, it is easy to obtain. You can get it in supermarkets, or grow broccoli sprouts yourself in your home. Plus it’s affordable. Sounds like a win win to me.

I’d rather do that than be a regular pill popper for the rest of my life.

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2019, 7:40 pm

Anything that has to words "brain inflammation" and "autism" sounds like complete bull**** to me.

Also, Youtube videos arent a trustworthy source of information.

I'll believe it when it's a scientific study that has been peer-reviewed

old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2019, 8:07 pm

I hear ducks...quack, quack...

languagehopper
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Oct 2019, 1:58 pm

Whilst I am sceptical about anything being an actual cure for autism itself I can testify to the beneficial effects of eating a vegetable based diet and avoiding processed and sugary foods. I function much better when I eat well and my background anxiety level falls away. I also become more social. For a while I was hoping for a more complete fix but have come to accept that being able to better manage my mood and anxiety load is about as far as it goes. Difficulty with planning remains, that need to know exactly what I am doing before I act meaning that planning ahead is impossible due to the sheer number of variables meaning that routine is essential to stop myself from getting bogged down in fresh detail every day. My sensitivity to vestibular challenges and noise remains too. I get dizzy from just looking at a computer game and my hearing is so acute I can hear everything as if it is at top volume. I eat lots of kale and other brassicas so I must be getting lots of sulphoraphane. I don't doubt it is good stuff, but a cure, no.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2019, 2:23 pm

Cure your autism by ...eating alotta broccoli?

Okay... Big Pharma doesn't control broccoli yet.

But still...sounds too good to be true.

Sandpiper
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Oct 2019, 12:48 am

Given the quantities of many of the above mentioned vegetables I have been eating for years I am surprised that my autism wasn't cured a long time ago.

:lol:

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2019, 4:27 am

Cruciferous vegetables are definitely good for the health, but I never trust the reductionist approach of hailing one compound as particularly beneficial.
Better just to eat a healthy diet with more veg and less processed food and sugar.
Not a cure for autism (as if there could be one), but good health makes it easier to function.

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2019, 6:24 am

old_comedywriter wrote:
I hear ducks...quack, quack...

LOL

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2019, 12:30 am

Based on the responses, I'm guessing no one here is actually using/has used the stuff. I'm considering it.