Page 1 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2019, 12:30 am

Based on the responses, I'm guessing no one here is actually using/has used the stuff. I'm considering it.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2019, 7:54 pm

I'd use that stuff just to guard myself from osteoporosis.

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2019, 1:42 am

Can't work because 'autism' is a collective term for many different problems which cause people to be on their own. But of course it's nothing wrong with eating some more cabbage. :wink:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2019, 2:41 am

We need our veggies anyway.

And ...with some autistics a more balanced diet might indeed clear up their heads in a way that might cause them to be more socially successful (ie to act less autistic).

But I cant believe that autism would be banished from the earth if everyone on the planet just started taking sulforaphane capsules and ate more broccoli.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2019, 2:43 am

I eat lots of broccoli. I’m still nuts :mrgreen:

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2019, 8:15 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

lol

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2019, 11:01 pm

MannyBoo wrote:
Sulforaphane, a chemical found in cruciferous plants has been shown to clearly reduce Autism symptoms.
Well I guess it’s time to take in some Sulforaphane.

Uhm.. YUP ... AND maintain healthy gut microbiome . That and a a bottle of powdered boswellia and neem. And you could even think there is a improvement . Having done all these things and more and added many nootropics . And presto chango .
, my autism is still prevelant . But i remember more stuff. Occasionally better stamina if i add regular exercise. Wait this all smart NTs DO FOR,longer life spans and ward off brain fog and stuff , oh yes and healthy cancer pateint diet too. Hmm. Did i miss something ? :?:

where ever you go ,there you are

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2019, 11:02 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

Extra LOOOLz

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2020, 10:36 am

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4217462/

Quote:
Autism spectrum disorder (ASD), characterized by both impaired communication and social interaction, and by stereotypic behavior, affects about 1 in 68, predominantly males. The medico-economic burdens of ASD are enormous, and no recognized treatment targets the core features of ASD. In a placebo-controlled, double-blind, randomized trial, young men (aged 13–27) with moderate to severe ASD received the phytochemical sulforaphane (n = 29)—derived from broccoli sprout extracts—or indistinguishable placebo (n = 15). The effects on behavior of daily oral doses of sulforaphane (50–150 µmol) for 18 wk, followed by 4 wk without treatment, were quantified by three widely accepted behavioral measures completed by parents/caregivers and physicians: the Aberrant Behavior Checklist (ABC), Social Responsiveness Scale (SRS), and Clinical Global Impression Improvement Scale (CGI-I). Initial scores for ABC and SRS were closely matched for participants assigned to placebo and sulforaphane. After 18 wk, participants receiving placebo experienced minimal change (<3.3%), whereas those receiving sulforaphane showed substantial declines (improvement of behavior): 34% for ABC (P < 0.001, comparing treatments) and 17% for SRS scores (P = 0.017). On CGI-I, a significantly greater number of participants receiving sulforaphane had improvement in social interaction, abnormal behavior, and verbal communication (P = 0.015–0.007). Upon discontinuation of sulforaphane, total scores on all scales rose toward pretreatment levels. Dietary sulforaphane, of recognized low toxicity, was selected for its capacity to reverse abnormalities that have been associated with ASD, including oxidative stress and lower antioxidant capacity, depressed glutathione synthesis, reduced mitochondrial function and oxidative phosphorylation, increased lipid peroxidation, and neuroinflammmation.

(...)

Rest at the above link.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2020, 10:57 am

So what WP member has actually tried this stuff?

Apparently it is a dietary food supplement, so I do not think it is prescription medicine. I suspect it is available at a health food store or on Amazon. A quick search showed several types. Here is one of many.

Sulforaphane Supplement 75mg

I am not sure how to make the conversion from µmol to mg, to see if the supplement is in the right range of concentration.

Anyways if any WP member has tried this stuff, what effects did they detect? Will you give it an overall thumbs up or thumbs down?

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2020, 11:10 am

I have not yet. But I am considering it. So I am interested in the experiences of any members that have experimented with it and what their experiences where/are.

leahbear
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Jan 2020, 4:40 pm

I took sulforaphane daily for years as part of a supplement to help me metabolize estrogen. The supplement worked really well for that, which is why I took it for so long. The study above involved only men (moderate to severe) and mentioned that they thought it might work better in autistic people who experience a decrease in symptoms when they have a fever, and that’s not me. I was taking it when I was still deeply in denial about my social problems and masking was all I knew (I am undiagnosed). While I was taking it I had a lot going on: multiple chronic conditions flaring up, gut dysbiosis, my first job where I had to work in an office. My stress and anxiety levels were super high, my sensory issues were the worst they’ve ever been and I had a burnout/regression that lasted over a year. Did it help? I don’t know. Maybe things would’ve been worse if I wasn’t taking it. I’m over my burnout now but I don’t have estrogen dominance anymore either so I’ve stopped taking that supplement. Sorry this isn’t very helpful but I can say it wasn’t some magical cure for my issues.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2020, 12:09 am

awe jesus they are actualy thinking to cure something thatis inhereted genetically .
am not thinking this is a smart thing , yes i know , wanting to cure this stuff for a long time .
but am not sure a number of genetic strings are /is going to be very well altered by a supplement.
find myself not appreciating the logic paths of a NT person .. and yes amgoing to say , it appears as a defect in the human condition . if am hypersensative so be it... do not enjoy watching others struggle or in pain...my condition has allowed me largely abilities am not readilyseeing in NT population .Irrefutable logic paths not appparently noticed by NT people . TYVM US stock Market.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2020, 11:19 am

Well, I am an experimenter by nature, that is part of being an INTJ. I bought a bottle of Sulforaphane (Broccoli Seed Extract) + BioPerine from Smoky Mountain Nutrition using Amazon. It arrived yesterday and I took one capsule last night.

My initial observations were
1. Visually, everything seemed brighter with finer detail.
2. I had a really good nights sleep.

Those observations are very subjective.

Granted I am an extremely poor subject for this experiment because I shed stress very quickly and efficiently.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2020, 5:47 pm

jimmy m wrote:
Well, I am an experimenter by nature, that is part of being an INTJ. I bought a bottle of Sulforaphane (Broccoli Seed Extract) + BioPerine from Smoky Mountain Nutrition using Amazon. It arrived yesterday and I took one capsule last night.

My initial observations were
1. Visually, everything seemed brighter with finer detail.
2. I had a really good nights sleep.
please jimmy keep me / site up todate with your experiences with this supplement . am not able to shed stress so easily , and any hope of improvements of any kind ,? would give valuable info. as it would be first hand info . Thank you for sharing your experiences thus far .

Those observations are very subjective.

Granted I am an extremely poor subject for this experiment because I shed stress very quickly and efficiently.

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2020, 8:24 pm

Good luck. At least it's a capsule form. If you were just getting it from cruciferous vegetables you might be the first people to ever fart their autism away--and all your friends, too.