Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2019, 7:20 am

I am currently claiming benefits. I have no idea how much they will be yet as I won't know untill the early part of next month. Now I have been informed that the benefits office will be assessing me with their doctors to see if I am fit for work or not. I have been told that this is likely to take place in a couple of months. While some dread this, I am happy because it is a way of having a quicker assessment instead of waiting a couple of years, because if they can assess me to see if I am fit for work, they will need to know if I have autism or anxiety or not (As in if it is something else). They call it an assessment. So they will be able to tell me what is going on. It may save me holding up the long assessment list.
Don't get me wrong. If they say I am ready to work and I am feeling fragile, I will just stop claiming benefits. I have been slowly selling posessions as to be honest, after a lifetime of collecting trains... Well. I do have a few too many so I could go for a short while like that. (I am keeping the narrow gauge ones I make anyway... Can't sell those. They are special to me!)
So, it will be a blessing in discuise. They will be able to assess me earlier then the long wait.
Initially I kind of expected one of my doctors to assess me and give me a yes/no answer but she said she wasn't able to do that. The benefits doctors might be able because they have to deal with people like me daily, so they will have far more of an idea. :)

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2019, 7:54 am

A benefit assessment will not result in you getting an earlier confirmation as to whether you are on the spectrum or not. It's solely to see if you're fit for work.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2019, 7:58 am

How would they know if I am ready to work without being able to know if it is anxiety or autism or both etc? Surely their doctors will have a rough idea as they need to know to assess? Uhmm. So I may have the long wait after all?