Dietary interventions in most cases found ineffective

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2019, 2:26 am

Analysis finds little evidence to support dietary interventions for autism

Quote:
Special diets that eliminate certain foods or contain added supplements have minimal impact on autism traits, according to a review of data from 27 clinical trials1.

Many families with autistic children ask their doctors about these interventions, believing they can help improve autism traits such as repetitive behaviors. However, the analysis shows that there is little to no scientific evidence to support the bulk of these diets. Only a few supplements, such as omega-3 fatty acids and vitamins B6, B12, C, D and folate, appear to offer small improvements relative to placebos.

The new study is the first to quantitatively evaluate the benefits of diets for autism. Experts say the analysis is a valuable resource. “The research literature has been all over the place with regard to dietary interventions and supplements for autism,” says Bradley Ferguson, assistant research professor of health psychology at the University of Missouri, who was not involved in the study. The new work “lets us begin to home in on which ones might be efficacious.”

he researchers searched three large international databases — Ovid Medline, Embase and PsycINFO — for clinical trials of dietary interventions for autism. Their final analysis included 27 studies and 1,028 autistic people aged 2 to 60 years. About half of the participants received nutritional interventions; the rest received placebos. The diets lasted an average of 10.6 weeks.

Parellada and her colleagues grouped the diets into those with added supplements and those that eliminate specific foods. They analyzed the impact of these diets on core autism traits such as repetitive behaviors, as well as related traits such as anxiety and impulsivity.

Only omega-3 and vitamin supplements seem to work marginally better than placebo in easing these traits. The results appeared 4 October in Pediatrics.

But the analysis lumped supplements together in one category; identifying which are most effective and at which doses will require further studies. Overall, 75 percent of the studies didn’t account for participants’ food intolerances or existing nutritional deficiencies. And finally, the trials spanned different age groups, making it difficult to pinpoint at what age people respond best.

“The same behavioral intervention doesn’t have the same effect in pubertal children versus very young children,” Parellada says. “We need to do more to study nutritional interventions in very young children as well.”

Eliminating gluten and casein are among the most common dietary changes that families with autistic children make, she says, but only one study in the analysis looked at these nutrients.

Because the cumulative data cover a diverse range of interventions and behavioral traits, the findings should be interpreted with caution, says Zachary Warren, associate professor at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee, who was not involved in the work.

Overall, the studies in the analysis used more than 200 different instruments to measure the effects of cocktails of supplements.

“This study strikes me as a call for better-designed clinical trials,” Ferguson says. “Future clinical trials looking at the effects of dietary interventions need to collect other biomarkers.”

For instance, measuring biomarkers of inflammation — which can decrease in response to omega-3 — could reveal why these supplements ease traits such as anxiety and who is most likely to benefit from supplements.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2019, 2:08 pm

I agree with this. I hate when people bang on about dieting to help lessen symptoms of autism, ADHD and depression. I understand the effects from caffeine or alcohol, but other than that I don't believe diet is the answer for emotional problems or disabilities. I can maintain a very healthy diet but still suffer greatly with depression on and off, and my ADHD affects my day to day life, and my sh***y AS is just part of who I am.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 Oct 2019, 2:18 pm

Not surprising.
How would dietary changes reverse differences in neurology?
If someone's diet was unhealthy, improving it is likely to improve overall functioning but that's all.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2019, 9:42 am

About 10 years ago, I remember people in the Parents' Forum raving about and swearing by the Gluten Free Casein Free (GFCF) diet. Many of them claimed that it helped put their kids' autism symptoms into remission. Then the GFCF trend faded out into obscurity. While there's nothing inherently bad about helping your child's autism, anything done "for the child's health" often degenerates into a power trip, presented in the guise of "caring". Things like food, drink, sleep/naps, exercise, schoolwork, etc. Especially considering that bread (gluten) and cheese (casein) are one of most kids' favorite foods.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2019, 3:39 pm

I reported on here before some temporary benefits in taking creatine and magnesium, that wasn't just placebo, unfortunately they were short lived.

Im convinced from personal experience sometimes amino acids can have a positive effect, maybe just a matter of type & combination, anyone else experience this?

- George Bernie Shaw

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

31 Oct 2019, 2:03 am

My main intuition is - if some treatments like diet or supplements improve overall functioning, they also make autistic traits more manageable.
Nothing more to it.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2019, 4:16 am

I was a guinea pig for different types of diets. Never made any difference whatsoever.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2019, 11:02 am

For the actual article in downloadable PDF, and the official video abstract that goes along with it, check this link instead: https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2018-3218

Also, to be fair, the study found that some vitamins and omega-3 has a small but significantly positive effect on select ASD-associated symptoms. So the result is not exactly no-effect of diet. That being said, omega-3 and/or vitamin deficiency can have negative neurological and other health effects on NT's too, so this isn't terribly surprising.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2019, 11:15 am

Aspie1 wrote:
About 10 years ago, I remember people in the Parents' Forum raving about and swearing by the Gluten Free Casein Free (GFCF) diet. Many of them claimed that it helped put their kids' autism symptoms into remission. Then the GFCF trend faded out into obscurity. While there's nothing inherently bad about helping your child's autism, anything done "for the child's health" often degenerates into a power trip, presented in the guise of "caring". Things like food, drink, sleep/naps, exercise, schoolwork, etc. Especially considering that bread (gluten) and cheese (casein) are one of most kids' favorite foods.

Personally, my mom was into herbalists. She took me to this one place where they prescribed me drops to be put under my tongue three times a day and forbade me from eating any kind of refined sugar, dairy, or carbs in general (this was before the gluten-free craze, but high-time for Atkins dieting). I ended up so sickly thin that my school almost called protective services. I would faint a lot. I started hiding bread in my closet to eat at night when everyone else was asleep.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2019, 3:59 pm

Fern wrote:
Personally, my mom was into herbalists. She took me to this one place where they prescribed me drops to be put under my tongue three times a day and forbade me from eating any kind of refined sugar, dairy, or carbs in general (this was before the gluten-free craze, but high-time for Atkins dieting). I ended up so sickly thin that my school almost called protective services. I would faint a lot. I started hiding bread in my closet to eat at night when everyone else was asleep.

My parents did something similar, but with water. They somehow, out of nowhere, decided that I was drinking too much water, and started limiting it with the ruthlessness of Navy SEALs. I was allowed to have one glass and one glass only at meals, and that's it. Any time they saw me reach for water at other times, they ran screaming, pushed me away from the water, and sometimes spanked me. When I complained about feeling thirsty, they didn't believe me. The few times they did let have water between meals, it was only small sip, and I was sometimes told to only swish it in my mouth and then spit it out. I took to sneaking around, like pretending to need to go to the bathroom, then chug water out of the tap.

The city I lived in at the time, had intermittent water quality issues, so the tap water tasted nasty. My parents kept a water cooler in the kitchen for cooking and their own drinking. They drank from it as much as they pleased, and so did my older sister. But not me. So at school, I often spent most of the recess time gulping water out of the fountains. I'm grateful my teacher didn't rat me out to my parents, even though they told me not to drink too much water at school, either.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2019, 4:01 pm

Now....that totally sucks!

My parents did similar things----but not so drastic.