Autistic Motor issues not thought about enough

Page 2 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2019, 12:47 pm

firemonkey wrote:
I did 5 years of piano as an extra curricular activity at prep school . I was so bad at it I never even took the grade 1 exam. My drawing ability is around an average 6-7 year old level.

At school I was usually the last one picked for a team at sports . I've never been a strong person .

Just a thought perhaps at that time your preception of strength , was askewed. ( different)

where ever you go ,there you are

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2019, 1:03 pm

^ Maybe , maybe not . My strength limit is about a relatively heavy shopping back in one hand and a quite light one in the other.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2019, 1:34 pm

firemonkey wrote:
^ Maybe , maybe not . My strength limit is about a relatively heavy shopping back in one hand and a quite light one in the other.
understood clearly , similiar weirdness between hands , albeit , one previously disabled , clearly strength and already almost no dexterity , seems to go completely away. For up to a week . But actually was referring to other strengths as , whatever it is your good at . Maybe extraordinary .? Or not ?
Just thinking outloud. 8O

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2019, 2:06 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
While I agree with the Neurodiversity movements idea that a lot of the problems autistic people face are caused correctable societal misunderstanding and discrimination of the way we think and express ourselves via body language, this is why I can’t agree with those that posit autism is just a gift. Motor problems are not a invisible disability, but a traditional physical one that can be mitigated but not eliminated by societal understanding.

Actually, some neurodiversity activists have been in the forefront of pointing to motor difficulties as (1) one of the things researchers should pay more attention to developing treatments for, in lieu of searching for a total radical "cure," and (2) one of the reasons why ABA can do more harm than good (e.g. by punishing or rewarding kids for things that they literally cannot control due to unacknowledged motor issues).

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2019, 12:53 am

lvpin wrote:
I also wonder how many of our health problems are caused by stress because every health issue I've had in the recent years, including an autoimmune disorder were all linked to stress. If the ND movement made things less stressful (ie. less need to mask, more understanding of sensory needs etc.) I wonder what else would be affected because I do think some parts of autism can be beneficial.

Very important points here. Many autistic people have various co-occurring conditions. How many of these co-occurring conditions intrinsically tend to accompany autism, vs. how many are caused by the stress of being autistic in an un-accepting NT-oriented world? At the very least, certainly, many of them are worsened by stress, if not caused altogether by stress in the first place.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2019, 5:28 am

Jakki wrote:
firemonkey wrote:
understood clearly , similiar weirdness between hands , albeit , one previously disabled , clearly strength and already almost no dexterity , seems to go completely away. For up to a week . But actually was referring to other strengths as , whatever it is your good at . Maybe extraordinary .? Or not ?
Just thinking outloud. 8O

I'm good at not being good at anything .

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2019, 5:34 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
lvpin wrote:
I also wonder how many of our health problems are caused by stress because every health issue I've had in the recent years, including an autoimmune disorder were all linked to stress. If the ND movement made things less stressful (ie. less need to mask, more understanding of sensory needs etc.) I wonder what else would be affected because I do think some parts of autism can be beneficial.

Very important points here. Many autistic people have various co-occurring conditions. How many of these co-occurring conditions intrinsically tend to accompany autism, vs. how many are caused by the stress of being autistic in an un-accepting NT-oriented world? At the very least, certainly, many of them are worsened by stress, if not caused altogether by stress in the first place.

This is purely anecdotal , but I'll add it to the thread . My wife always said I walked funny, and my stepdaughter has said I walk like I'm drunk. I tend to veer from side to side . When I'm anxious/stressed it tends to be worse than when I'm not .

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2019, 10:43 am

I have not read every post on this thread yet, just the first few. But I am glad that this thread was started. I was thinking about starting one that relates to this but I will just ask my question here. I have hypertonia which means that my muscles get super tight and I am not as flexible as other people. I don't have normal range of motion and have to work much harder at flexibility than anyone else and no matter how much therapy I get, the condition never gets better. I also know that some Autistics have cerebral palsy. I have always had some type of motor issue. I believe that the tightening of the muscles, the hypertonia, is a Autism related. Every singe Autistic person that I have spoken to IRL has some hypertonia to a degree. Mine is extremely severe, to the point where my neck can be so tight that I can become asphyxiated. But everyone IRL that is Autistic that I know, has some kind of physical issue and it usually has to do with having less natural flexibility than normal people. Even when I was very flexible, when I was on a competitive Tae Kwon Do team in high school, it took me a lot longer to get my flexibility than it did the other kids and I had to work at it to keep it and there were some things that they could do that I could never do.

Do any of you have similar issues? I am also wondering if there is a link between the hypertonia that most of us seem to have and the cerebral palsy that some Autistics have.

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2019, 10:45 am

I believe that a lot of our health problems are caused by stress or at least magnified by stress. As Autistics, we live experience very high levels of stress all the time just from trying to exist. That definitely affects everything about our health.

Wreck It Ralph

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2019, 2:42 pm

^^ I'm not sure about my flexibility. I tried the one by the Brazilian doctor mentioned at https://edition.cnn.com/2017/08/30/heal ... index.html . I couldn't do the first part . I wonder how anyone can do it!

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2019, 4:19 pm

Thank you for that link. I am going to try it out!

Wreck It Ralph

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2019, 9:27 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
lvpin wrote:

Strongly Agrees with this , co-morbidities in autistics , Is strongly documented
But no one seem to be directly addressing them , Last doctor , was being a patient of , became highly victimized by CDC dept under infectious disease.
Guidelines . Demanded legal prosecuetion of her practise ,Under direction of Infectious disease Society of America , privately held organization three seperate times . Till she finally had to go out of practise .
Under her care was the healthiest had ever been.

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2019, 9:48 pm

At one point I had awful handwriting, so bad I could barely read it, and couldn't really type. Even two-fingered hunting-and-pecking was full of errors.
I still get a little bit clumsy when I'm moving--people get mad at me and always have for moving too dramatically. I walk stiffly when I'm trying to get somewhere in a hurry, almost peg-legged sometimes. I get told I need to learn to chill out, but how can I, it's just how I walk when I'm moving fast. In a crowd I close in on myself.

Then I learnt how to write--how to type--and how to do a lot of things but I still walk funny. It looks like a clip from an early photoplay.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2019, 10:25 pm

GoldenMom wrote:
This is very interesting. I am a bit clumsy, but like some of you, my motor issues aren’t necessarily very obvious. I feel like we could add muscle strength impairment to this list too. I was never as strong as my peers growing up. But I could play instruments and draw, skip, hop, etc.

I could never throw a basketball as far as my classmates did, or hit a volleyball for a proper serve. I was just not as strong or very coordinated with my gross motor skills relating to sports.

Growing up, every now and then I would have decreased strength on my hands in the morning. So much so I could not open the cap on the toothpaste. My mom thought I was joking or imagining things, so nobody really looked into it. The strength would come back to my regular level after some time, but I never knew why it had happened in the first place. I’m convinced now it has something to do with my autism.

Uhmmm. Over the last few years, on and off I have lost strength in my hands. It coincides with the last few burnouts I have had.

From an early age, I have never been what you call quick in the motor sense of things. I have been powerful, but not quick. Cycling requires strength, but not speed as in motor speed, so I got on well there.

If I was ever picked on and the rare event it turned out to be a fight, I was never able to throw a punch as I could never get any speed into it. Oh, I could really kick if I wanted to, but not punch. I had really strong and powerful legs.

I was known by the name "Tip it all" and my brother who is 3 years younger was known as "Spill the lot". We both seemed to be a little clumsy in that way. :D

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2019, 10:49 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
GoldenMom wrote:
This is very interesting. I am a bit clumsy, but like some of you, my motor issues aren’t necessarily very obvious. I feel like we could add muscle strength impairment to this list too. I was never as strong as my peers growing up. But I could play instruments and draw, skip, hop, etc.

I could never throw a basketball as far as my classmates did, or hit a volleyball for a proper serve. I was just not as strong or very coordinated with my gross motor skills relating to sports.

Growing up, every now and then I would have decreased strength on my hands in the morning. So much so I could not open the cap on the toothpaste. My mom thought I was joking or imagining things, so nobody really looked into it. The strength would come back to my regular level after some time, but I never knew why it had happened in the first place. I’m convinced now it has something to do with my autism.

Uhmmm. Over the last few years, on and off I have lost strength in my hands. It coincides with the last few burnouts I have had.

From an early age, I have never been what you call quick in the motor sense of things. I have been powerful, but not quick. Cycling requires strength, but not speed as in motor speed, so I got on well there.

If I was ever picked on and the rare event it turned out to be a fight, I was never able to throw a punch as I could never get any speed into it. Oh, I could really kick if I wanted to, but not punch. I had really strong and powerful legs.

I was known by the name "Tip it all" and my brother who is 3 years younger was known as "Spill the lot". We both seemed to be a little clumsy in that way. :D

Very cute nicknamess .. strength for me is still variable on various days. Even hand to hand . Sometimes for a week at a time.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2019, 4:55 am

Borromeo wrote:
At one point I had awful handwriting, so bad I could barely read it, and couldn't really type. .

My handwriting was so bad that at the age of 11-12 I had to have handwriting lessons . I think my handwriting now is legible, but crudely formed. I'm a slow writer though, and trying to write much faster significantly deteriorates the quality ,

As for typing , I can do about 15-20 wpm .