Autistic Motor issues not thought about enough

Page 3 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2019, 4:55 am

Borromeo wrote:
At one point I had awful handwriting, so bad I could barely read it, and couldn't really type. .

My handwriting was so bad that at the age of 11-12 I had to have handwriting lessons . I think my handwriting now is legible, but crudely formed. I'm a slow writer though, and trying to write much faster significantly deteriorates the quality ,

As for typing , I can do about 15-20 wpm .

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2019, 12:41 pm

firemonkey wrote:
Borromeo wrote:
At one point I had awful handwriting, so bad I could barely read it, and couldn't really type. .

My handwriting was so bad that at the age of 11-12 I had to have handwriting lessons . I think my handwriting now is legible, but crudely formed. I'm a slow writer though, and trying to write much faster significantly deteriorates the quality ,

As for typing , I can do about 15-20 wpm .

Uh oh , this sounds painfully familiar to me.

Yaah for typing speeds

where ever you go ,there you are

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2019, 1:00 pm

I can type at words per minute too. I don't know how many though as I can't watch the clock and type at the same time.

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2019, 3:40 pm

The funny thing is, it started changing. I don't know why it changed or how, but I got to the point where I mastered a decorative modification of the 1894 Palmer Method of Business Writing. Had to switch from ball-point pens to fountain pens or the old steel-pens and inkwells but at least I have pretty nice handwriting now.

Typing--I don't know of the speed but I learnt how to touch-type. Computers used to confuse me but I learned how to type quickly on typewriters, then switched back to computers after I figured out the QWERTY keyboard and off I went. The first typewriters I used was a 1970s Olympia portable, then an old Smith-Corona daisywheel from the 80s, then a 1950 Royal KMG. After a succession of 1920s and '30s machines I'm down to a 1941 Royal KMM (Project machine, not yet running,) a 1927 Remington Paragon (beat to death on romance novel, needs overhauling) a 1922 Corona 3 Folding (backspace key sheared off, needs new bolt) and a 1930 Royal Model P. (Runs great.)

Computer keyboards are literally hit or miss for me. Right now I have an old Apple laptop from like 2009 and the keys on it aren't great for marathon writing sessions but they at least feel good to type on, until they don't. That's why I still use my typewriters for serious stuff.

The computer is for keeping up with all y'all!

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2019, 3:44 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
I can type at words per minute too. I don't know how many though as I can't watch the clock and type at the same time.

Me neither .. but , think was at one time doing 12 words a minute . With many mistakes , but blazingly fast for me .

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2019, 3:54 pm

Borromeo wrote:
The funny thing is, it started changing. I don't know why it changed or how, but I got to the point where I mastered a decorative modification of the 1894 Palmer Method of Business Writing. Had to switch from ball-point pens to fountain pens or the old steel-pens and inkwells but at least I have pretty nice handwriting now.

Typing--I don't know of the speed but I learnt how to touch-type. Computers used to confuse me but I learned how to type quickly on typewriters, then switched back to computers after I figured out the QWERTY keyboard and off I went. The first typewriters I used was a 1970s Olympia portable, then an old Smith-Corona daisywheel from the 80s, then a 1950 Royal KMG. After a succession of 1920s and '30s machines I'm down to a 1941 Royal KMM (Project machine, not yet running,) a 1927 Remington Paragon (beat to death on romance novel, needs overhauling) a 1922 Corona 3 Folding (backspace key sheared off, needs new bolt) and a 1930 Royal Model P. (Runs great.)

Computer keyboards are literally hit or miss for me. Right now I have an old Apple laptop from like 2009 and the keys on it aren't great for marathon writing sessions but they at least feel good to type on, until they don't. That's why I still use my typewriters for serious stuff.

The computer is for keeping up with all y'all!

Btw , Thank You .

Ink well pens ,, uh.. oh ... but those did calligraphy styles of writing much better , i thought. Just from my own experiences . Growing up with those too, in school.
Had problems with finger strength and coordination for using older typewriters .. newer portables where a little easier. . Lucky enough to practice , learning to type on ibm selectrics . When actually had a course in typing. You have great
Repetoire of typing machines , ( typerwriters) you have experience with .
TY

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2019, 4:02 pm

Aw thanks Jakki--they're one of my special interests. I fix them, run them until they break, and fix them some more.

My first "good" one was the 1950 Royal. I bought it when I was in high school--teaching myself because I never went to school & both parents worked. It was home schooling. As I got too distracted on the computer and got bad eyestrain (didn't know I was autistic at the time) I bought the Royal for $15 and it was totally rusted down solid. Nothing really moved and animals had made nests inside it--the mechanism was full of leaves and red rust.

Within two hours I had gotten it to move a little and in two weeks it was typing fast enough to sound more like a lawnmower at low idle. I gave it a new platen (rubber roller) made out of a bicycle inner tube, and when the draw band (strap that pulls the carriage along--it's powered by a big mainspring) when that broke I made a new one from a shoelace.

Typewriters make sense to me and I think they are ready for a new life in this century as adaptive technology for us Aspies, not for hipsters and up-cyclers.

About the pens--yes, those are better for calligraphic writing. Palmer Method is derived from Spencerian script, which is a form of English Roundhand. You want pointed pens, not stub nibs, for cursive work. Fountain pens from as far back as the 1910s can be easily restored for general writing--I carry a Conklin "Conklinetta Senior" that is a copy of a 1930s design equipped for standard cursive work. It looks like a regular fine-point pen when you write with it.

I am VERY CURIOUS, Jakki, about your thoughts on co-morbidities in general. Sounds like you have really put some thought & study into it.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2019, 4:54 pm

I'd start a poll about comorbidities , but I'm not sure what to put /think someone else doing it would do it better , and get more people responding .

Then there's issue of what you strongly feel you have, but have not been dxed with vs that which you've been officially diagnosed with . The former being very applicable to the older ones among us .

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2019, 5:26 pm

Borromeo wrote:
Aw thanks Jakki--they're one of my special interests. I fix them, run them until they break, and fix them some more.

My first "good" one was the 1950 Royal. I bought it when I was in high school--teaching myself because I never went to school & both parents worked. It was home schooling. As I got too distracted on the computer and got bad eyestrain (didn't know I was autistic at the time) I bought the Royal for $15 and it was totally rusted down solid. Nothing really moved and animals had made nests inside it--the mechanism was full of leaves and red rust.

Within two hours I had gotten it to move a little and in two weeks it was typing fast enough to sound more like a lawnmower at low idle. I gave it a new platen (rubber roller) made out of a bicycle inner tube, and when the draw band (strap that pulls the carriage along--it's powered by a big mainspring) when that broke I made a new one from a shoelace.

Typewriters make sense to me and I think they are ready for a new life in this century as adaptive technology for us Aspies, not for hipsters and up-cyclers.

About the pens--yes, those are better for calligraphic writing. Palmer Method is derived from Spencerian script, which is a form of English Roundhand. You want pointed pens, not stub nibs, for cursive work. Fountain pens from as far back as the 1910s can be easily restored for general writing--I carry a Conklin "Conklinetta Senior" that is a copy of a 1930s design equipped for standard cursive work. It looks like a regular fine-point pen when you write with it.

I am VERY CURIOUS, Jakki, about your thoughts on co-morbidities in general. Sounds like you have really put some thought & study into it.

Wait .. you repair typewriters ...! That is very cool. Yes , mechanical things have
Their very own life .. am soo impressed that you restore old ones .
When was very little . 6 or 7 .This may sound odd, but noone stopped me. Or saw me i guess . But would periodically go through others peoples trash cans , if they weren't too yuckie if something looked interesting . Guess , did not know any better but people threw away old watches , ink pens . Which is what , i looked for . No too big , to carry . Fixed some watches .. inspected them .
Did not know to change parts , but examine and clean. And they would work.
Father saw this and encouraged alittle bit . Mom wouldnt let me learn her valuable sewing machine. And mechanical things worked or not , if could not
Fix the parts . So am very impressed with your work. And hated my pens drying out . Ball points too . After leaking one all over inside of purse. Cartridge pens made me mad. Have very small collection , but do not know model names. .a couple of older typewriters too .

Borromeo on topic of co morbidities , it was actually a accidentally course of study over , a great deal of my life . Trying to find answers . The Doctor , i had written of , was the straw that drew all my studing , learnings , all together into one cohesive . Fact .. comcept , i should have written . But can now document
Mostly from memory and reference materials . Based on things that were
Also based in factual experimentation. And double blind tested things that were repeatable. NOW alot of this stuff is all over the net . Just in different places . All research based.
None of this stuff changes a aspie into a N T if that what you might think am driving at. The body of research is amazingly large. But very cohesive. Not hard to follow if you have previous understandings of psysiological / biological processes. Homeostasis and disease process. (Even basic understanding)
Actual co morbidities boil down to , in great commonalities to genetically inherited things and also tick bourne disease issues , tick bourne and mycoplasmas are closest to explain current Similiarities . To being able to provide best description ( most apt) to correlate what the co morbidities are about. And their processes in human beings and other mammals. And this is a overly simplified form.
When co morbidities are thoroughly addressed . There can be a incredible difference . In any person or mammal in which the co-morbidities are reduced or controlled. Without being more specific. When the taxing on the immune function is reduced or eliminated .( Consequential reduction in inflammation) Entire body ( brain ) benefits . Like a poorly lubricated typewriters or dirty watch mechanisms , you may need to look more closely , had Read a book written by dr dirk pearson,& Sandy Shaw, "Life Extension" caused me to use myself as a guinee pig early on , based on their research. Had noted deficits between myself and others , aswell later on advantages . Caused me to follow , health course of self discovery with direct application to others. If you need or are curious , about this more feel free to pm me. ( ONLY if serious interst in this topic )