Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2019, 6:18 pm

I've not been one to talk to myself . However recently I've found myself doing so quite a lot. It seems to be a reflex action but one I'm aware I'm doing it as I'm doing it . It involved quite a lot of swearing. It's not in response to external or internal auditory hallucinations.

It could be because I was stressed about the back and hip pain I've been having. I saw the GP today. I was anxious as I waited as I was thinking something serious was going on. As per usual when I'm especially anxious and I'm sitting I was moving one leg up and down. It has a certain calming effect.

As it was it was nothing serious. The GP did some basic testing and ruled out arthritis . He did say it might be a little wear and tear at the base of my spine.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2019, 6:26 pm

I talk to myself all the time.

I also growl, meow, and howl to myself.

I am legendary as the Wolfman at my full-time job.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 05 Nov 2019, 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2019, 7:12 pm

I used to talk to myself whenever I was alone and it took quite an effort to stop. I've relapsed a few times, when things were really bad, the last time was a few weeks in 2014.

Edit: I still say one word out loud sometimes, it pops out pretty randomly and isn't necessarily a symptom of stress anymore.

Last edited by Sahn on 05 Nov 2019, 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2019, 7:14 pm

My boss at the library always says “what?” when I talk to myself. She thinks I’m nuts lol

JimSpark
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Nov 2019, 7:18 pm

I talk out loud (to myself) all the time when I'm alone. I do it to a limited extent out in public, often just mouthing the words silently, but if I know there's someone watching me, I won't do it. Perhaps it's a "stim."

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2019, 2:39 am

I just cuss and make noises. Fortunately I usually do it pretty quietly.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

06 Nov 2019, 2:47 am

I talk a lot to myself. And recite poems. And sing. And hum jingles. And sigh.
Probably a kind of stimming. Relatively acceptable in most environments but I can't work on complex problems in one room with my husband - I talk to myself in deep focus and he can't tune me out.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2019, 2:23 pm

I do this almost all the time. My sister thinks it's funny. In fact, she does it too sometimes breaking the "fourth wall" like me, as if I am speaking to an audience.

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2019, 5:52 pm

And also do I--it seems to help get the busy thoughts to quiet down.

GonHunter
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Nov 2019, 5:57 pm

I end up doing it in public and become a joke

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2019, 8:22 pm

I do it too much at work. It gets worst when I am facing a lot of stress at home. I have two teenage girls so the stress is often :lol: . And of course this is bad when my coworkers are already wondering what planet I'm from :( . I think it's a stim.

jordanalmokdad
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Nov 2019, 9:17 pm

yup... i talk to myself. i've always been happier entertaining myself in my own space without anyone's input. if i get over stimulated by something, if making music on my own for example, i will talk, shout, dance and laugh to myself or with an imaginary version of someone. sometimes i talk to myself in fear of forgetting how to speak... it's easy for me to get lost in something and lose touch with people, my surroundings and to become detached from the world so talking to myself can bring me back down to earth, vice versa, i talk to myself to distract myself from people, my surroundings and to become detached... i've created other peoples voices in my head before to talk to = ended up in a mental hospital.... i've been laughed at, questioned, nicknamed, criticised... they thought i was doing the things i do to entertain them... no. i do what i do and i am who i am for my own self. happy days, mint and sage. ( :

Studebacher_Hoch
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Nov 2019, 4:41 am

I get a lot of intrusive thoughts ("you're stupid", "you're ugly", "you're fat, "you're a burden", etc.) and sometimes I will involuntarily just say "shut up" to myself or curses, or hush myself, or some kind of sound like "hrsht" like I just bring it back to the real world. When I'm reliving bad memories in my head (or sometimes even normal memories), I find myself talking, gesturing, making faces as if I'm back there in the memory, which usually snaps me out of it.

Or when I'm happy I'll talk to myself and make dumb jokes and noises. Animal noises or dumb voices. My mother does these things as well and she struggles with ocd/anxiety/autism.

All of this in an appropriate setting if I can help it.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2019, 3:01 pm

I talk to myself a lot, and sing or hum. The talking helps me to jog my lousy memory, and to organize my thoughts. I live alone, so it doesn't bother anyone at home. When running errands I sometimes talk to myself about the errand, like what I am looking for in a store aisle, or that the door to the doctor's office is just a little farther (have bad knees and bad back, so this matters). As long as the outside talk is related to the errand, it isn't a problem. People usually understand that sort of talking to one's self, and it's not really that strange. Lots of people do it, because lots of people have so much going on in their lives, that they need this method to help organize their thoughts and jog their memories, so don't worry about it.

It's the other kind of talking to one's self that means something might be wrong. One time, at a place where I was staying, in the morning there was another guest outside having a violent argument with people who weren't there. It went on for a while. The people running the place realized that he wasn't playing with a full deck and arranged to have him stay at a facility for people with mental health issues, so he could get treatment.