Spending on hobbies/special interests ?

Page 2 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2020, 9:33 am

Fnord wrote:
If I had purchased all of my astronomy and ham gear when it was new, it would likely have cost around ten grand.  As it is, I bought used and/or damaged gear at about a tenth of the original price and repaired/refurbished it to be at least as good as new.  Some of the other hams poke fun at my "antique" equipment; but if their shiny new toys get broken, they either ship their toys off to the factory in 臺灣, buy something new, ask me to fix it for them, or do without.

My brother does that. He was an electrician. He has recently had his radioham licence. He wants me to get one but I rarely go on the CB as I am a bit nurvous to speak to people. Also I doubt I would pass the exams lately due to having been in a "Fragile" state, but I am improving now as I can do my modelling again.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2020, 9:40 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
Fnord wrote:
If I had purchased all of my astronomy and ham gear when it was new, it would likely have cost around ten grand.  As it is, I bought used and/or damaged gear at about a tenth of the original price and repaired/refurbished it to be at least as good as new.  Some of the other hams poke fun at my "antique" equipment; but if their shiny new toys get broken, they either ship their toys off to the factory in 臺灣, buy something new, ask me to fix it for them, or do without.
My brother does that. He was an electrician. He has recently had his ham radio license. He wants me to get one but I rarely go on the CB as I am a bit nervous to speak to people. Also I doubt I would pass the exams lately due to having been in a "Fragile" state, but I am improving now as I can do my modelling again.
Passing the test is not about how you feel; it is about what you know.  Besides, there are digital modes that inherently do not use voice -- CW, Packet, et cetera.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2020, 10:54 am

If you asked me to learn something a few weeks ago, I would not be able to take any new information in because my brain was in fragile mode. I had been slipping in and out of this mode on and off since the summer before last when I hit the last burnout. My ability to concentrate on learning was gone.

Now I am not in the fragile stage as I write, I am improving. The fragile stage effected more then my ability to learn and study. It effected my concentration and my physical abilities as well.

I do not want to rush this recovery as I know through past experience that rushing leads to another major burnout, so I am taking it easy to let myself fully heal before I take on new things. In other words, I need to take it easy. :)
Several months ago I could not play computer games when asked. Now I can.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2020, 11:11 am

firemonkey wrote:
...things like the DNA side of genealogy...
This is a recurring cost for you? I'm confused.

I bought genealogical DNA tests for my Dad and for my mother's sister (since my mother was deceased). I could've gotten just about the same info, except Dad's mtDNA, by testing myself--but I figured this way (a) it would be clear which side of my family the data applied to, (b) the data would be one generation closer to Adam & Eve, and (c) I could amuse Dad. The only subsequent expenses were optional (and not-really-needed) upgrades on Dad's Y-DNA test. So, pretty much, I paid, I got results I could use, and my only obligatory cost was the original payment.

You have on-going, non-trivial expenses?

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2020, 1:31 pm

I don’t spend much but then again my parents don’t exactly give me money to spend. In the past when I have had money from birthdays and stuff I usually save it up for a while then just end up spending it on things.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2020, 1:33 pm

Pieplup wrote:
I don’t spend much but then again my parents don’t exactly give me money to spend. In the past when I have had money from birthdays and stuff I usually save it up for a while then just end up spending it on things.

That is what money is for.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2020, 1:38 pm

I'm a few $k in the hole right now from putting together my recording rig, but this time around it should sound exactly like what I've had in mind for ages instead of just sounding tolerable. The problem with my POD is that all the amps it could model were tube amps and I just wanted an Ampeg VH-140C and a Marshall Valvestate 8100.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2020, 2:08 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
Pieplup wrote:

That is what money is for.

I mean like months-years

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2020, 2:27 pm

When I was earning a lot, I used to spend quite a bit on CDs, DVDs, books, model railway stuff, and tools. Plus a few one-off things, like a bass guitar and an R/C car kit. But I never really had much time to enjoy them. Consequently I have a huge stockpile of unused things I "comfort bought" and I could quite happily stay at home for the next decade without running out of things to do.

The problem now is my ADHD (if that's what it is) seems to be getting worse and I can't concentrate on much for long anyway. I've been off work for almost 6 months now and I've started about 5 books but only finished one. I can't imagine I'll have the patience for learning the bass either! Seem to spend most of my time distracted online, or filling out forms :-s

My biggest weakness by far is cars, I've owned over 20 and only had a driving licence for 22 years. Most of them weren't particularly flashy, indeed some were absolute sheds, but I like the variety and the challenge of getting to know a new vehicle. I have 3 cars at the moment, they're all defective in some way or another, and I'm skint. Ah well.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2020, 2:43 pm

Redd_Kross wrote:
When I was earning a lot, I used to spend quite a bit on CDs, DVDs, books, model railway stuff, and tools. Plus a few one-off things, like a bass guitar and an R/C car kit. But I never really had much time to enjoy them.

What kinda bass do you have? 8)

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2020, 2:57 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
What kinda bass do you have? 8)

It's an SDGR bass, identical to this: Pinterest shot I've just borrowed

I am a complete noob though. Bought it off a friend who was buying a house, partly cos I wanted to try learning, but also partly to help them out without it seeming obvious...

martianprincess
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2020, 3:05 pm

I'm not nearly as impulsive as I used to be. I tend to refrain from spending on my hobbies. I spend most of my money on necessities and sometimes I'll buy something for myself. I make decent money but I hesitate to spend money on myself most of the time. I also don't have space for many things.

Most of the hobbies I've engaged in recently are running, books, and video games. I've only purchased one new game lately and I've been content with playing that, or old games. I don't have much free time anyway though. I love to go hunting for antiques but I haven't done any of that this year due to the pandemic.

I like wild orchids and neighbors with wide orbits

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2020, 3:31 pm

This may help some cut down costs. The idea of making things yourself for budgeting reasons.

Offset
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Dec 2020, 9:17 am

It can be. I still try to work in moderation and limits.

I really love collecting vinyl music records and albums/LP's. Especially from the 70s and 80s, and pop, disco, funk, soul, hip-hop, jazz, R&B, soft rock, new wave, new age, dance and electronic, and alternative/grunge music. I just look at the covers, and just to have to collect another one. (I didn't even know Jim Nabors who played Gomer Pyle, had albums, he does, and I picked one of his albums on vinyl up. lol.)

I just try to limit myself, but I do lose myself, and it's a hobby I have that I like. I just do it moderation, and set limits.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2020, 6:36 am

For a pure hobby, I work mostly with scrap. For house repairs and improvements, I'll buy new material when that's the only way forward. For a project involving career development, more than once I have split my last $20 between groceries and hardware. Some supplies, such as glue or sandpaper, are bought on sale if possible, but seem as essential as bread.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2020, 7:07 am

I stick to my budget very well. Everyone I know trust me with money (and their lives). :) I do go through phases with collectibles. I made sure I only buy the ones I know will resell easily, so they don't lose their value. This has worked very well for many years and I actually made money on my hobbies, until one day our house got broken in and my stuff stolen. My insurance didn't cover a lot so that was quite a blow. Now I try to play with some cheaper stuff.