Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2016, 9:12 am

Sorry if I'm starting to annoy people with my questions , my thirst for knowledge only been whetted.

Can being frugal be an ASD trait e.g. Buy the cheapest pair of trainers even if you could buy a more expensive pair.
My GF says it false economy but I cant help it :roll:

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2016, 9:14 am

It's a person who likes to, or must, save money sort of trait LOL

I don't find this to be an autistic sort of trait.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2016, 11:10 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
It's a person who likes to, or must, save money sort of trait LOL

I don't find this to be an autistic sort of trait.

Thanks kraftiekortie , I'm just a tight git then :lol:

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2016, 12:14 pm

There is nothing wrong with being frugal unless it interferes with your life that is comes to a point it makes you a cheapskate. Look at Extreme Cheapskates. Or if it makes you feel distressed and you would like to do more but can't because you are so worried about money.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Jute
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Sep 2016, 12:30 pm

I economise on necessities such as food and household items, so that I can spend money extravagently on things which I don't actually need but which I simply want.

Somewhere completely different:

Autism Social Forum

I am no longer active on this forum, I've quit.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2016, 4:35 pm

League_Girl wrote:
There is nothing wrong with being frugal unless it interferes with your life that is comes to a point it makes you a cheapskate. Look at Extreme Cheapskates. Or if it makes you feel distressed and you would like to do more but can't because you are so worried about money.

Just watched an episode of Extreme Cheapskates ( Some woman made a "churkey" for xmas ) and felt a whole let better. If I was single and could handle the shame/embarrasment I could go to extremes.

GenX
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Sep 2016, 5:30 pm

I think the frugal life might actually be a second hand trait. Many of us are quite different to the "Normal" people out there and don't really care or have any great need to follow. The world places a lot of pressure on hyper consumerism. I feel much of the modern world is focused on removing money from the wallets of "Normal" people and allowing big business to thrive. I have no burning desire to be "Normal" so end off pocketing (and investing) a significant portion of my income.

goaszw1997
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Nov 2019, 2:12 am

I used to spend money like crazy when I was in college. Soon after I graduated, I took out a loan for a newer car, and racked up 2000 in credit card debt. Back then I didn't care about anything because I was living at my parents. Eventually I moved into an apartment and my whole mindset on money changed. I started saving the majority of my income and leaving some only to pay the bills. I had a 4 year car loan and was able to pay it off in 2. I paid off all of my credit card balance and have decent credit. I'm currently in the process of purchasing my first home.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2019, 6:03 am

No, plenty of NTs can be frugal. Others not so much. It depends on what type of person you are. Not everything you do is linked to having ASD. It's just a personality trait of yours.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2019, 7:12 am

Frugal could be related to obsessive compulsive disorder or paranoid personality disorder

Ocd comorbid with autism

However plenty of NTs are frugal

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2019, 12:17 pm

I can sometimes get incredibly geeky about saving pennies. Holding off buying a small item until I've analyzed the alternates to death. This probably satisfies my autism in a socially acceptable way :lol: .

However, I try to have a general philosophy to avoid being too frugal. A friend once stated "money is like manure, it doesn't do any good unless you spread it around". Since I'm my big cause is fighting climate change, it is usually easy to make choices that drive that effort. Often this is the more expensive choice. But usually it's just the choice not to buy something like some gas engine adult toy. You could buy the electric alternative, but to not buy it at all is the best choice.

Last edited by CarlM on 17 Nov 2019, 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2019, 12:18 pm

Frugality is just plain, ordinary common sense.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2019, 12:30 pm

Experience has told me that you get what you pay for, and that if you get a cheap pair of sneakers they are likely going to fall apart in only a few days.

Cheap stuff is not only of questionable quality, but it could be made with things that are toxic or harmful. I've seen about a million recalls for cheap, dollar store quality toys that have scary-sounding chemicals in the plastic they're made with or have parts that become detached and can get swallowed by your kid. 8O

Of course, this hasn't stopped me from buying dollar store toys that are obvious bootlegs of popular and better quality toys, mainly because of their weirdness. :lol: