Would a society of aspies be more successful?

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Would a society consisting primarily of aspies ultimately be more successful than the one we currently live in?
Yes 19%  19%  [ 10 ]
No 40%  40%  [ 21 ]
Maybe/Unsure 40%  40%  [ 21 ]
Total votes : 52

qbit
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Apr 2007, 6:00 pm

I say yes, because:
:arrow: Most of the negative characteristics of AS are in fact bad only in the context of a neurotypical-run society.
:arrow: Aspies are, on average, smarter than NTs.
:arrow: In modern society, people typically need to be good only in one specialized field.

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2007, 6:01 pm

I would say no based at least on how people in this forum act towards each other. In real life, who knows.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2007, 6:08 pm

I am undecided because, periodically, we might need assistance from NTs for a variety of things.

Tim

kiki3
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Apr 2007, 6:09 pm

I have to say that I think it would be nicer if Aspies were the norm and NT's were uncommon. I think, in general, Aspies are nicer to outsiders. It would be interesting, though, to see if Aspies are only this way, because of being outsiders all their lives. Wonder what would happen if it were the other way around. Hmmm.

It's funny, because my boys and I were talking about this yesterday. They commented on how nice the owners of the comic book shop are. The owners seem to be typical outcasts, possibly Aspies. They never seem aggravated by kids browsing or asking stupid questions, like some popular NT would. I told the boys that they should take that as a lesson in life. Weirdos are usually some of the nicest people you will meet.

RadiationHazard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2007, 6:13 pm

Unsure.

I had a.... I dunno.

Dr. Chase: I'm Australian.

Dr. House: You put the Queen on your money, you're British.

RTSgamerFTW
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2007, 6:27 pm

A world without bigotry,hypocrisy,imcompetence and idiots is good enough for me.

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2007, 6:36 pm

I'd say not necessarily and I'm not sure that Aspies are actually 'smarter' on average-
it's true that we probably store more knowledge but that doesn't always a guarantee
wisdom.
Apart from the fact that it's good to have a balance between acting logically and instinctively,there's an Aspie trait of sometimes finding it a little more difficult to be assertive in running our own lives,so it's possible we could struggle to run a whole society together.
It might be interesting to give it a try,though !

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2007, 6:37 pm

Yes. Because we'd stay out of one another's hair.

Apatura
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2007, 6:38 pm

I don't think so :(. Though I would like to see school designed only for HFA and AS kids... no mainstreaming at all.

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2007, 6:45 pm

No. We'd be uncomfortable around each other. I'm sure that some of us would annoy others with sensory issues; we're far too sensitive; and the majority of us would be unwilling to do some of the day to day work that is required to keep a settlement afloat.

Three years!

RadiationHazard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2007, 6:53 pm

I wish I could change my vote... I'm too paranoid and untrusting of people.

All my life I'd been taken advantage of due to my gullibility, so I did a u-turn and became a paranoid recluse to stop it from ever happening again.

Dr. Chase: I'm Australian.

Dr. House: You put the Queen on your money, you're British.

JonnyBGoode
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2007, 7:02 pm

A society of aspies would be picked on by other societies around it, just as we as individuals are picked on. We'd constantly be at war.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

10 Apr 2007, 7:27 pm

JonnyBGoode wrote:
A society of aspies would be picked on by other societies around it, just as we as individuals are picked on. We'd constantly be at war.

There would be internal conflicts as well. Our sensory issues, sensitivities and sensibilities are
out of balance. That alas, is one of our defining characteristics. Also dyspraxia slows many of us down
making unforeseen crises more dangerous. I function by keeping my distance from people.
Only through the internet can I communicate with others with ASD. My relations with NTs are
minimal and superficial.

Last edited by richie on 11 Apr 2007, 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

qbit
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Apr 2007, 7:27 pm

JonnyBGoode wrote:

I meant the entire world.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2007, 7:29 pm

I voted no.

I'd also like to add that I think your post is very narrow minded.

Imagine us trying to run a country.. everyone will say the wrong things, people will take it the wrong way, and won't pic up emotional cues.

qbit
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Apr 2007, 7:35 pm

hale_bopp wrote:

Imagine us trying to run a country.. everyone will say the wrong things, people will take it the wrong way, and won't pic up emotional cues.

First, remember that "saying the wrong things", is based on the neurotypical definitions. In an AS-based society, everyone will be expected to behave as aspies do. It will be different from the very core. Indeed, it is NTs who will be "saying the wrong things".
Also, how can someone fail to pick up emotional cues, if there are none?