I got a vaccines cause autism scare when I was 10..

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2019, 10:43 pm

When I was 10 (which was in 2000), my whole school had to have this vaccination for meningitis or something. But the school nurse phoned my mum the day before, urging her to not let me have the vaccination because it will "make my Asperger's worse"....whatever that was supposed to mean. So everybody in the school had this vaccination except me, and I was then frightened that I was going to get meningitis and die.

But anyway, the point is what could have made the school nurse think that a vaccination will affect a 10-year-old Aspie? Was the scare about the MMR vaccination causing autism in babies big back then?
Also, if any of it was true, then surely all the kids in the country with undiagnosed Asperger's would have suddenly become "worse".

What do you think? It's just something that I've never found an explanation for so I thought I'd share it here and see if anyone here has any knowledge of how autism and vaccines were perceives 20 years ago.

Juljace
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Dec 2019, 11:34 pm

Interesting....I've wondered that myself. Thanks for posting.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2019, 11:36 pm

A 1998 study showed a connection between vaccines and autism.

The findings were found to be erroneous a few years later.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2019, 12:43 am

I still see a connection in my case. I inherited AS from my mother, a classic "cold mother." I had not bonded with her, and she did not try to comfort me over the experience of getting vaccinated. I'm sure that my trust in people was badly damaged that day, and it probably showed in classic withdrawal symptoms. Infant care had not been all pleasant, but at least it was familiar, and generally good for physical comfort. Going to the doctor's did not seem to be in my interest at all - it was painful madness, deliberately done to me.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2019, 3:06 pm

I don't know what she meant by "making my Asperger's worse", as though Asperger's was some physical disease I had that had the potential to get worse so had to be protected from vaccines or drugs. :roll:

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2019, 4:11 pm

Dear_one wrote:
I still see a connection in my case. I inherited AS from my mother, a classic "cold mother." I had not bonded with her, and she did not try to comfort me over the experience of getting vaccinated. I'm sure that my trust in people was badly damaged that day, and it probably showed in classic withdrawal symptoms.

Sorry for that. That ironically amuses me --- in my case that could be extended to:

Subway use increases Autism!! !! (my parents laughed at me when I was REALLY scared)

Spider webs increase Autism!! ! (my parent chewed me out for overreacting when I ran into a spider web full in the face at dusk)

Bowling Alleys increase Autism!! ! (my parent chewed me out for yawning repeatedly during a "fun" outing)

Exchanging items at a Craft Store increases Autism!! ! (I was treated poorly and rather than the parent comforting me, I was lectured on my insufficiencies of caring for the other person)

I felt invalidated and shamed. Surely this increased my traits (albeit I hid and masked). Really. STRESS. These are still hurtful memories for me... trying EMDR or hypnotherapy next...