Page 3 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2019, 12:39 am

According to the Sped teacher who knew me enough, my case is supposedly detectable by age 3.

Yet my official time of diagnosis is at age 10-14, on Asperger's side of the spectrum.
I cannot blame my parents for not able to afford any diagnosis earlier, let alone any services even until now.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2019, 12:55 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I was diagnosed very young—but I’m not really severely affected.

Thus, I go against the apparent correlation.

That's also my experience. I was diagnosed at the age of 5 but was never severely affected.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2019, 1:19 am

carlos55 wrote:
In light of british actress stephanie davies coming out as hfa at a late age.

Just wondered is there a link between severity and age of diagnosis?

I mean if you can go up to your 40's without anyone mentioning autism then surely the symptoms must be mild in comparison to a 2-3 year old that is suspected of being autistic?

Is there truth to this or is it really no one was spotting the signs decades ago?

I have known a LOT of females that seemed fully autistic! WHY weren't they considered to be autistic? Because THEY WERE WITHIN THE FEMALE NORM! THAT is REALLY why it is so hard to diagnose them.

Look at Lucy Ricardo. That character seemed like a little arrogant selfish spoiled child, and yet nobody called her autistic. GRANTED that was a show, but women like that actually exist. And people treat them the same that lucy's friends treated her.

Besides, many things are hidden in a way.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2019, 5:57 am

2ukenkerl wrote:
carlos55 wrote:

I mean if you can go up to your 40's without anyone mentioning autism then surely the symptoms must be mild in comparison to a 2-3 year old that is suspected of being autistic?

Is there truth to this or is it really no one was spotting the signs decades ago?

I have known a LOT of females that seemed fully autistic! WHY weren't they considered to be autistic? Because THEY WERE WITHIN THE FEMALE NORM! THAT is REALLY why it is so hard to diagnose them.

Look at Lucy Ricardo. That character seemed like a little arrogant selfish spoiled child, and yet nobody called her autistic. GRANTED that was a show, but women like that actually exist. And people treat them the same that lucy's friends treated her.

Besides, many things are hidden in a way.

Except for me - a female on the mild/high-functioning end of the spectrum with no speech delays diagnosed with Asperger's at age 8. Have I just broken a world record? :(

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2019, 10:15 am

2ukenkerl wrote:

Nobody called her autistic because it was the 1950s. Autism was not known much beyond psychiatric circles and what little if any was known to public was only the most severe kind, not anybody who would remotely have the ability to be spoiled and selfish.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2019, 10:17 am

Lucy Ricardo was, in no way, autistic.

I don't see any "autistic symptoms" in the Lucy Ricardo character.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2019, 10:31 am

I read somewhere that Lucille Ball, who played Lucy Ricardo, grew up in an era where girls were suppose to behave like a "proper lady", but she was anything but. She loved being funny and making people laugh, and she had a vivid imagination. But I don't know if she was aspie or had any other disorders.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2019, 10:51 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I was diagnosed very young—but I’m not really severely affected.

Thus, I go against the apparent correlation.
In contrast, I was diagnosed a month before my 48th birthday, in fact, exactly five years ago last week. But I tested at a GARS level three. But I am deceptively very severe because my severity levels do not manifest as people would stereotypically think of when they think of a severely affected Autistic person. You can be very severe and still not be noticed or recognized. It just depends on where your more severe levels lie and how they manifest. Just like someone who looks extremely severe at first glance can also be extremely high functioning in many ways but no one will ever realize that because they are only focusing on what is visibly obvious.

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2019, 10:54 am

Lucy Ricardo was not Autistic in the least. Not even a little bit. She was many things like manipulative, spoiled, hilarious, and tone deaf but definitely not Autistic.

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2019, 10:57 am

EzraS wrote:
I'm so autistic I was diagnosed in utero.
:D

Wreck It Ralph

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2019, 10:58 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
I read somewhere that Lucille Ball, who played Lucy Ricardo, grew up in an era where girls were suppose to behave like a "proper lady", but she was anything but. She loved being funny and making people laugh, and she had a vivid imagination. But I don't know if she was aspie or had any other disorders.
She smoked.  She also could not keep Desi from chasing after other women.  Otherwise, she was socially adept and physically graceful when she wanted to be.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2019, 11:00 am

firemonkey wrote:
The nearest I got to anyone realising something untoward was up was my first school in Thailand showing their concern . I was 5 or 6 then . I was assessed at Great Ormond street for what we now call cerebral palsy(the S word used to be used back then) The result was negative and no other possibilities were explored.

How much that was to do with my parents not wishing to explore things further I don't know. I'm not sure they looked beyond my being an awkward and badly coordinated child.
What is the S word?

Wreck It Ralph

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2019, 11:15 am

skibum wrote:
firemonkey wrote:
The nearest I got to anyone realising something untoward was up was my first school in Thailand showing their concern . I was 5 or 6 then . I was assessed at Great Ormond street for what we now call cerebral palsy(the S word used to be used back then) The result was negative and no other possibilities were explored.

How much that was to do with my parents not wishing to explore things further I don't know. I'm not sure they looked beyond my being an awkward and badly coordinated child.
What is the S word?

Spastic

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spastic#UK_and_Ireland

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2019, 11:36 am

carlos55 wrote:

The autism spectrum didn't exist until the 1990's so many went undiagnosed. Those who had moderate or severe AS were not diagnosed autistic but had other diagnoses instead. You had to be pretty severe to be diagnosed as autistic. If you had an imagination, were creative, were social, wanted friends, etc. you were not autistic and you had other diagnoses instead.

I think now the earlier you are diagnosed, the more severe it is. Of course even mild aspies will be diagnosed as children but I doubt they would be diagnosed at age 5 or be diagnosed as a toddler because everything they would be doing would be considered normal at that age and doctors don't like to put labels on kids when what they are doing is appropriate at their level. Only parents may notice something but they won't be able to get doctors to see it until there is a significant issue. Doctors don't care if it causes issues for you in the home. All kids cause issues for their parents and siblings.

Maybe someday in the future there will be better diagnosing where doctors will learn what to see to count as a symptom to diagnose autism in mild aspies unless society changes and mild aspies will no longer be autistic.

Asperger's was not considered autism when it was first put in the DSM but then shortly after about a year later, it became considered a form of autism.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2019, 11:51 am

Doctors only said I had language disorder and one social worker noted I had autistic like behavior. I was also diagnosed with ADD but it was always suspected from when I was around age 5 or either 7. But my mom said she always knew I had something. I was also diagnosed with auditory processing disorder, dyspraxia and I was eventually forced to be diagnosed with AS.

It's amazing how some get diagnosed with autism when they don't have typical symptoms and some with severe autism don't get diagnosed and god knows why. This is all very weird.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2019, 12:15 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Asperger's was not considered autism when it was first put in the DSM but then shortly after about a year later, it became considered a form of autism.

Aspergers has for the most part always been considered a form of autism among professionals. In the 1981 paper proposing the Aspergers diagnosis Lorna Wing argued that the Aspergers diagnoses was a way of getting people diagnosed with Autism without calling it Autism. At the time the stigma of autism as a no hope ret*d condition predominated. Wing’s theory was if you called it Aspergers parents would more likely accept the diagnosis. She was more correct than she ever imagined. The idea of adult autistics finding out later in life and self advocating was not anticipated nor was the role of the World Wide Web which was just in its infancy in 1994 when Aspergers was added to the DSM.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 21 Nov 2019, 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.