Even a “geeky” Meet Up group didn’t work out for me

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2019, 1:06 am

Pedant wrote:
maybe you could start your own group and advertise it in your area. You can publish details in the classifieds and on bulletins at nearby libraries (I've often seen groups advertised in this way). Taking the lead will force you into the center of things, at least.

I agree with this suggestion. I've started several small groups of my own at various times throughout my adult life.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2019, 11:42 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
Pedant wrote:
maybe you could start your own group and advertise it in your area. You can publish details in the classifieds and on bulletins at nearby libraries (I've often seen groups advertised in this way). Taking the lead will force you into the center of things, at least.

I agree with this suggestion. I've started several small groups of my own at various times throughout my adult life.

It’s too late for me to do that.

DorkyNerd
Raven
Raven

03 Dec 2019, 11:39 am

I live in NYC, where people pride themselves on being huge freaks.

Even here, I don't fit in anywhere.

Such is life. Even the other dorks reject you when you have Asperger's.

A horrendous disability.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2019, 1:03 pm

It's really not THAT horrendous.

For God's Sake....we are not lepers!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2019, 3:52 pm

Marknis wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:
Pedant wrote:

Why is that?

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2019, 6:31 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Marknis wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:
Pedant wrote:

Why is that?

I’ve fallen too far behind socially. I can’t hang out with people in their 20’s or even 30’s because I am a “creepy loser” in their eyes and people older me think I am a “stupid kid”.

Even when I tried to make myself like trendy things like mainstream hard rock and metal (Disturbed, Godsmack, Killswitch Engage, Chimaira, Slipknot, Mudvayne) and violent FPS games, those didn’t translate to social success. Even if I got into Five Finger Death Punch or Imagine Dragons, played Call of Duty or GTA on a regular basis, and watched Game of Thrones just so I could fanboy about the blood and sex (the people I know who watch it don’t talk about anything else about it nor read the original Song of Fire and Ice novels), I doubt it would change anything. The fact I prefer the Melvins and Napalm Death when it comes to music, Guilty Gear and Final Fantasy when it comes to video games, and Berserk when it comes to dark fantasy gets me considered to be a “weirdo” but it’s too late to try to be part of the crowd.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2019, 1:08 pm

I’ve been told I should live well instead of trying to prove those who hurt me wrong but I don’t even live ok.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2019, 8:50 am

DorkyNerd wrote:
I live in NYC, where people pride themselves on being huge freaks.

Even here, I don't fit in anywhere.

Such is life. Even the other dorks reject you when you have Asperger's.

A horrendous disability.

I had an anime club back in high school and by the time I shut it down I fell out with every single one of them. Some of them fell out with anime and weren't into it anymore and others were simply just not friend of mine period.