Are we more likely to have different beauty standards?

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

lvpin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2019, 1:52 pm

Of course, nothing can cover every single type of person on the spectrum but, as we can have some things in common I wonder if this could be one of them.

I know personally my idea of what looks good/beautiful is very different from the norm. I like traditional beautiful things, yes, but it feels like for me something has been switched in my head so things seen as gross to others, also are seen as beautiful to me. I love looking tired for example and go out of my way to do make up that makes me look like that, I also think bruises are beautiful and do the same. I actually found out some people think that my knuckles look bruised because I punch stuff when I'm stressed which is amusing. I am beginning to think when I finally like how I look it shall be very unappealing to most.

I am also told people who I think are attractive, really aren't, or at least aren't to other people which can sometimes be upsetting when I'm teased for it or people give me a 'what an earth are you thinking face'. Some are slightly more subtle though and suddenly go on about the importance of personality at least. I also don't see the point in most beauty standards and think they are rather silly such as the importance of height to some people. I'll never understand that.

My aspie friend also has ideas of what is visually appealing that are different from the norm but she is only one person. In general, my neurodiverse friends tend to like what is different from normal. I was just wondering if anyone else here is like this or appreciates the beauty in what should be grotesque? I'm kind of hoping I'm not alone because that part of me tends to weird people out but luckily I'm friendly and nice so they can overlook it... so far..