Page 2 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2019, 12:27 pm

Jensen wrote:
In my opinion ASD should be called ASC - Autism Spectrum Condition.

Noted. (and lots of thoughts)

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2019, 12:57 pm

No 2 spectrumers are the same or have the exact same set of symptoms, and the symptoms you have don't define how high or low functioning you are. What defines your functioning level is how your symptoms affect your daily life.
For example my set of symptoms (as an adult) are very complex, and to other people I come across as a quirky NT, probably because I am sociable, make eye contact, can engage in conversation, can display correct tone of voice and facial expressions, and I can express my emotions like an NT. Even when I get panic attacks, highly anxious or bouts of depression, I can still function as in interact, go to work, do shopping, etc.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2019, 9:57 am

firemonkey wrote:
There are those with developmental delay.
There are those without developmental delay , but with what in the USA would be called learning disability
There are those without developmental delay or learning disability .

The 2nd and 3rd would fall into what is/was Asperger's . To my mind those in 2 would be more impaired than those in 3, despite sharing the same diagnosis .

That is actually incorrect. Everyone who has any kind of ASD has to have developmental issues. I think you mean intellectual delay as in what used to be called mental retardation. You can't get an Autism or an Asperger's diagnosis without some kind of developmental issue. That is what a developmental disability is. You don't have to have mental retardation for an ASD diagnosis but you must have developmental issues.

Wreck It Ralph

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2019, 10:29 am

skibum wrote:
firemonkey wrote:
There are those without developmental delay , but with what in the USA would be called learning disability

The 2nd and 3rd would fall into what is/was Asperger's . To my mind those in 2 would be more impaired than those in 3, despite sharing the same diagnosis .

That is actually incorrect. Everyone who has any kind of ASD has to have developmental issues. I think you mean intellectual delay as in what used to be called mental retardation. You can't get an Autism or an Asperger's diagnosis without some kind of developmental issue. That is what a developmental disability is. You don't have to have mental retardation for an ASD diagnosis but you must have developmental issues.

I personally don't see development delay as occurring universally for those on the spectrum . For me it's about whether you reach certain milestones within a 'normal' age range . I accept that your definition differs on this matter , and encompasses a wider range than mine .

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2019, 10:45 am

firemonkey wrote:
skibum wrote:
firemonkey wrote:

I personally don't see development delay as occurring universally for those on the spectrum . For me it's about whether you reach certain milestones within a 'normal' age range . I accept that your definition differs on this matter , and encompasses a wider range than mine .
I am just speaking from a purely clinical view. ASD is a developmental disorder. You can't have a developmental disorder without developmental issues.

Wreck It Ralph

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2019, 10:58 am

Quote:
In the papers reviewed, autism was
sometimes defined as a disease or a disability or, in the case of mild autism or Asperger’s syndrome,
a difference which has, next to challenges, also advantages, a view also shared by Simon Baron-
Cohen who states that in subjects with autism without developmental delay, such as Asperger
syndrome, systemizing is either intact or superior (Baron-Cohen, 2004, 2000).
page 12

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... JjpNHue0mf

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2019, 11:02 am

I am not able to open that page. I am not arguing with you at all but I think that Simon Baron Cohen is using the wrong descriptive. I have never heard of anyone who has Asperger's who does not have at least one developmental issue. The entire diagnostic criteria requires it.

Wreck It Ralph

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2019, 12:00 pm

State an example of a developmental delay other than speech.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2019, 12:02 pm

Are you younger emotionally than your chronological age? Are you younger socially than your chronological age? Do you have deficits in your executive functioning abilities? These are some examples of developmental issues.

Wreck It Ralph

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2019, 12:07 pm

There are delays in both gross and fine motor skills.

Rainbow_Belle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Dec 2019, 12:11 pm

It is a cruel sick joke to claim that Aspergers is a mild form of Autism implying it is less of a disability. Having average IQ or high IQ does not change the fact that people with Aspergers are just as unemployable and socially disadvantaged as people with low functioning Autism. There is more support and funding for low functioning Autism than there is high functioning people with Aspergers. When you have Aspergers you are on your own to suffer in your own misery and no support to find employment. Still got Aspergers and still unemployed 10+ years since graduating with a worthless college degree. I wish I had low functioning Autism and more access to support.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2019, 12:23 pm

Rainbow_Belle wrote:
It is a cruel sick joke to claim that Aspergers is a mild form of Autism implying it is less of a disability. Having average IQ or high IQ does not change the fact that people with Aspergers are just as unemployable and socially disadvantaged as people with low functioning Autism. There is more support and funding for low functioning Autism than there is high functioning people with Aspergers. When you have Aspergers you are on your own to suffer in your own misery and no support to find employment. Still got Aspergers and still unemployed 10+ years since graduating with a worthless college degree. I wish I had low functioning Autism and more access to support.
I totally relate. I am so glad that I was diagnosed in 2014 and not before the DSM took Asperger's out. I can't tell you how infuriating it is to have people say to me, "You JUST have Asperger's," as if I have no challenges. Well, I don't have to tell you Belle, that's preaching to the choir. I am sure you have to deal with the same thing. If people had any idea what my challenges actually are, they would be ashamed to say what they say. People who really know me are amazed that I am even able to stay alive.

Wreck It Ralph

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2019, 12:55 pm

So I'm a textbook example of "mild autism" or "high-functioning" yet I have to be lumped with autism, which really means "selfism"?

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2019, 12:57 pm

Joe90 wrote:
So I'm a textbook example of "mild autism" or "high-functioning" yet I have to be lumped with autism, which really means "selfism"?
What are you saying exactly?

Wreck It Ralph

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2019, 1:30 pm

skibum wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
What are you saying exactly?

That I don't want to be lumped with autism because I generally don't identify fully with autism even though AS is a form of autism. I feel more comfortable knowing that I have a "mild form of autism". Yes I don't receive as much support as those with low-functioning cases but that's life. It's no point denying your functioning level just to receive more help or attention. That's what my brother has done.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2019, 1:38 pm

I understand what you mean now. Maybe you could say that you have very mild Autism and are not affected severely.

How does your brother deny his functioning level to get more help and attention?

Wreck It Ralph