Boston Pops host first-ever sensory-friendly concert

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2019, 2:34 am

TV 25 Boston

Quote:
On Saturday, the Holiday Pops held their first-ever sensory-friendly concert designed specifically for children with autism, giving families the opportunity to have a unique experience they can share.

The sweet-sounding tones coming from Symphony Hall Saturday morning were shared in a more relaxed environment. It's the same beautiful holiday music put on by the Pops but with modifications designed for children and adults with autism or sensory sensitivity.

The program of the day was designed to be interactive as well, letting kids play with instruments before the performance then giving them room to get up and dance during the show and sing along.

The next sensory show at the Boston Pops will take place in February.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

strings
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Dec 2019, 7:59 am

That is a nice idea.

One of my main issues with going to a concert or performance (I am very fond of opera) is the applause and cheering. It drives me crazy. I will only go to a performance if I can get an aisle seat, and that allows me to escape at the end before the final applause gets going. But it doesn't really help with the "spontaneous" applause or cheering in the middle of an act. It is one of the main reasons why I rarely go to public concerts. I'd much rather listen to a recording in the peace and comfort of my own home.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2019, 8:58 am

I would have loved that. I just wish they would stop advertising these kinds of events as, "for families with Autistic CHILDREN." That pisses me off to no end. Why can't they just say for Autistic people? Otherwise, I think it's fantastic.

Wreck It Ralph

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2019, 5:22 pm

I think this is a wonderful idea. It should be open to all autistic people instead of just families with autistic children.