Why bother when the odds are stacked up against you?

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 7:20 am

jimmy m wrote:
I suspect the problem with these particular statistics is that there is a sizable percentage of the population that is undiagnosed. They made it through school, have found a job and are not interested in obtaining a diagnosis. Many do not even know they are Aspies or on the spectrum.

When I first started learning about ASD's, I went to see a psychiatrist and he told me that by definition, only people who struggle with steady employment can be diagnosed with Aspergers/Autism. Aside from how ridiculous that is and is NOT anywhere in the DSM, he never seemed to clue in that if I had a high paying job where I was respected and good life prospects, I wouldn't have come to see him in the first place because I wouldn't have identified anything as being wrong!

I knew someone who was probably on the spectrum but he landed a high paying Engineering job and started a family before 25 and doubt he feels 'held back' in life. Having said all that, I wish I knew BEFORE I started going to university what I know now as I would have either not bothered or gone for a more Aspie friendly field like science or engineering.

Rainbow_Belle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Dec 2019, 7:31 am

I would never have wasted years on a worthless College degree that lead to debt and regret and stuck on welfare. Sticking with a low paying dead end job may have been better than taking the gamble on doing a College degree. College worst experience of my life, I struggled with bad marks and I did not make a single friend at college. College made my mental health issues worse. I can not change the past and stuck with debt and a worthless Business degree.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2019, 1:03 pm

"The last shall be first, and the first shall be last."
- That gave me a reason to stick around when I was young. I've lost more friends to suicide than anything else, and thought of it myself on several occasions, but I really only had to let go of a stubborn idea and find a higher truth. Exercise and plenty of sleep are almost necessary for a cheerful mood, and that, in turn, can lead to a break in the odds you see. Even the lottery has a winner. Almost every decade, I'm in a situation I could not have even imagined in the one before.
These days, you have a front-row seat for the onset of the anthropocene, and a unique opportunity to reduce its impact by using your life wisely.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2019, 1:04 pm

The odds were stacked against me....but I BEAT the odds!! !! !

We have too many of these goddamn threads about how people should "give up!"

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2019, 1:14 pm

dear_one said: but I really only had to let go of a stubborn idea and find a higher truth.

How true that is. I've never seen it expressed so elegantly before.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2019, 1:16 pm

The "higher truth"----is that there are ways to achieve success which do not consist of following the conventional path.

Many people are able to get "through the back door."

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2019, 1:27 pm

I bother to prove those people wrong. I bother to prove my parents wrong. I bother so that I can make myself happy. I bother because my life is worth living. I bother because it's easier and healthier to get on with it, than it is to wallow in self-pity. I bother because I want a job and a good life and I'm willing to do everything I can in order to make that a reality for me. I bother, because statistics are just numbers.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2019, 1:47 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
autismboy wrote:
Why bother when the odds are stacked up against you?
I bother to prove those people wrong. I bother to prove my parents wrong. I bother so that I can make myself happy. I bother because my life is worth living. I bother because it's easier and healthier to get on with it, than it is to wallow in self-pity. I bother because I want a job and a good life and I'm willing to do everything I can in order to make that a reality for me. I bother, because statistics are just numbers.
And like you, I bother because I can!

:D

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2019, 7:54 pm

Because slim chances are better odds the no chanch.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

notcreativename11
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Dec 2019, 9:22 pm

Yup. The statistics are currently very dismal. Long story short they prove that society is not doing its job to support and include people on the spectrum. Many of these trends have personally affected me as well. BUT autistic people are also currently doing amazing things without society there to catch them. Like other marginalized groups, we need to continue to push the boundaries to create a better tomorrow for us and the generations that follow. I think one ticket to mental well-being as an autistic person is to find the right environments and social groups. This can make a world of difference from exclusion to belonging. I can’t say I’ve found mine yet, but don’t give up hope, because it’s out there.❤️

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2019, 10:29 pm

The cost benefit analysis is not worth it

When I try to do something, the cost for me is higher than the cost for most precious lil "people"

The benefit, for me , is lower than the benefit for most precious lil "people"

Why bother , is a good question

Failure after failure