Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

nomiboy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Dec 2019, 1:00 am

Hello!

I am Elian he/him/his. I'm a college student studying vocal music and theatre :) I feel like I am Aspergers. What's really frustrating is, I am 23 and don't have a diagnosis.

I've been hyperverbal since I was an infant. I've always been overly obsessed with my interests. I've also always been overly obsessed with guys I've been romantically attracted to, since second grade. I say extremely awkward things without trying to, all the time. This can bother people. I used to have trouble with eye contact when I was younger. Most guys I've been interested in and most people I've dated have had autism or Aspergers. My aspie friends think I'm Aspergers. I have perfect pitch, which is associated with Aspergers. For sensory stuff, I have misphonia from mouth sounds and eating noises which often makes it unpleasant to eat dinner with my family.

I mean, I'm like 110 percent sure I have Aspergers. I was never diagnosed because it never caused serious problems in anything. I was a bright little girl (I'm a transgender man now) who didn't have any major behavior issues. I know that women and trans men go under-diagnosed.

So, can I identify as Aspergers? Or would that be inappropriate since I don't have an official diagnosis?

I just hate not having a diagnosis. It would be so much easier to explain to people my awkwardness and obsessiveness if I had a name to it. I also feel like a freak, and having a diagnosis would make me less freaky, if that makes sense.

I have schizoaffective disorder and generalized anxiety disorder already, so I do plan on talking to my psychiatrist about a diagnosis at some point, soon. Do you folks have any advice on pursuing an adult diagnosis?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2019, 3:34 am

At your college there might be a disability office or a psychology department that would know where to refer you.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman