Do you have a continuous monologue in your head? (w/POLL)

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Do you have a continuous monologue running in your head, as if you were talking to yourself?
Of course, doesn't everyone? 68%  68%  [ 27 ]
Of course, and I wish it would shut up! 28%  28%  [ 11 ]
What do you mean "internal monologue"? How can I "hear" anything if I'm not talking? 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
I only hear whispering demons. 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 40

Catlover1975
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Jan 2020, 12:30 pm

Borromeo wrote:
Catlover1975 wrote:
Not a monologue, but music playing constantly. But then I listen to my music almost every opportunity I get. It keeps my mind off other things.

Interesting. Is it new music you come up with or is it music you heard before?

Always music I've heard before. I am not musical in the slightest myself :)

PeachyKeenPeach
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

31 Jan 2020, 1:55 pm

Yes, though I usually just pretend to talk to someone else!
Ever since I started talking to someone other than myself, I can’t even remember what loneliness feels like anymore!
〃^▽^〃

darkwaver
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Jan 2020, 9:12 pm

I have an internal monologue that is fragmented and repetitious. Bits of phrases that I think or say, or things I hear other people say will replay over and over, involuntarily. Gradually it will vary enough to finish a thought or be replaced by another repetitive fragment. This has been going on since I began thinking in words, about second grade. I wish it would stop.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2020, 10:33 pm

magz wrote:
BenderRodriguez wrote:
For those who do: do you also have an internal voice while reading? (as in can you hear the words you're reading in your head while doing it?)

I do.
And my internal monologue is a very book-like narration.

When I read I see the scene like a video except with the addition of smells and textures. I have an audio narration going on in my mind accompanying it. However, my main pitfall is that my internal character voices don't vary much. So when I read it's a bit like watching a film where every character has the same voice actor. Certain characters might have a lower or higher voice, or speak quickly or more slowly. However, they tend to sound like different variations of my voice in one way or another rather than unique speakers. I'm used to this and don't pay it much attention. How the characters look and move tends to be easier for me to imagine than their voice. I might give them a certain tone (mocking, cheerful, pretentious etc) alter their speaking speed and pitch a bit but otherwise they sound like me. Usually I'm focusing on what they say rather than how they say it. Unless they're being overtly sarcastic.

It's rather fitting that I am bad at verbal impressions, and sometimes have a difficult time recalling what certain accents sound like. Weirdly, if I am not paying attention to a person's accent I may forget what accent they spoke to me in. I remember what they said, but not at all how they said it. Yet I can recall other kinds of sounds easily. Bird calls, wind chimes, a dog panting, etc yet the sound of a person's voice is by far the most forgettable thing about a person to me most of the time. I'm more likely to remember small details on the edges of someone's glasses than their accent. Numerous times I've been asked in my life "What kind of accent did they have?" and I've completely blanked. Sure, I could tell you about their body language in detail, the fact they had several specks of mud on their shoes, the subject they talked about...but accent? Apparently I don't remember most of the time. :lol: I question my mind's priorities.

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2020, 9:16 pm

My mother tongue is English, but I am sort of ( :roll: ) fluent in French and have high school German. I often conduct my mental monologue in a mix of those languages, especially French. I don’t think the voice ever stops, but it doesn’t bother me. In fact I think I find it calming.

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2020, 9:18 pm

magz wrote:
BenderRodriguez wrote:
For those who do: do you also have an internal voice while reading? (as in can you hear the words you're reading in your head while doing it?)

I do.

And most definitely yes to this!

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2020, 9:20 pm

AnneOleson wrote:
magz wrote:
BenderRodriguez wrote:

I do.

Yes, I hear the book. I honestly don't know how people read without hearing it?

I don't hear different voices for different characters, though. Everyone sounds the same.

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2020, 9:38 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
AnneOleson wrote:
magz wrote:
BenderRodriguez wrote:

I do.

I don't hear different voices for different characters, though. Everyone sounds the same.

They sound the same to me too. If I was reading out loud to someone I might vary the voices, but that’s different I think. I hear the voice as I write too.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2020, 9:41 pm

AnneOleson wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
AnneOleson wrote:
magz wrote:
BenderRodriguez wrote:

I do.

They sound the same to me too. If I was reading out loud to someone I might vary the voices, but that’s different I think. I hear the voice as I write too.

Same here!

@ Dr Darmok,
My best friend was raised Spanish but he has only spoken English for the past 50 years.

He said he thinks and dreams entirely in Spanish -- which I think is really cool. I don't know if that's common for all
/ many bilingual people?

pyrrhicwren
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2020, 10:44 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
AnneOleson wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
AnneOleson wrote:
magz wrote:
BenderRodriguez wrote:

I do.

Same here!

@ Dr Darmok,
My best friend was raised Spanish but he has only spoken English for the past 50 years.

He said he thinks and dreams entirely in Spanish -- which I think is really cool. I don't know if that's common for all
/ many bilingual people?

I've had dreams in which things were said or things were on walls in different languages

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2020, 11:47 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
@ Dr Darmok,

/ many bilingual people?

Difficult to judge. All your human languages sound alike to me.

There Are Four Lights!

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2020, 2:59 pm

I voted yes with the first option, although like someone else posted, it's not like I suspect everyone else must also... it was just what I felt was the closest answer to mine.
I also have an actual voice speaking all my thoughts and reading outloud what I'm reading from an external source.
I have always had people tell me I'm, 'talking to myself'.
Sometimes it's outloud, sometimes it's just my lips moving.
I don't really notice this at first, but sometimes realize I am speaking my thoughts outloud.
When I'm just silently forming the words with my mouth as I think them... I don't realize I'm doing it.
Usually it's my girlfriend who lets me know. hahaha
I'm trying to quell the more negative conversations in my mind, though. The ones I'm having with another person.. typically arguing with them over something they've done that I don't like.
I see it as a a waste of time and energy, personally. More of a self-confidence issue... fantasizing about an argument with someone else that I will eventually win! :roll:
Driving a Public Transit bus... due to me sitting up front by myself and with our policy of drivers not talking too much while driving... I often have long events going on in my head... and sometimes wonder if I'm talking outloud and/or mouthing the words. Wonder if any riders have watched me, thinking, "Why is there a crazy guy talking to himself, driving this bus?" hahahahahaha

thaiboxgirl
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Feb 2020, 3:11 pm

I thought everyone experienced this also. Right now I would say I am experiencing more intrusive thoughts with dialogue that I can "shut off," only with another to pop right back up again. Furthermore, I am suffering from the radio station playing continually in my head!

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2020, 10:11 am

I have a continuous music sound track in my head. They change randomly, often curiously suitable for my thoughts and situations. I memorize songs very easily so I remember countless numbers of them in three languages. I do have monologue sometimes, too but it runs in addition to the sound track. 8O The only time it stops is when I get immersed in listening to music, otherwise it runs from morning to night.

According to my limited survey, all my family members have this. Though I seem to have the greatest collection of music as I used to be a singer.

I never listened to music on my phone. Listening to my head is enough. :lol:

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2020, 10:55 am

Ticked option one because I definitely have a flow of words, sentences, paragraphs and on running continually.
There’s rarely a ‘voice’ however, I’m just aware of their meaning and their passing, same goes for when I’m reading just the continual flow of words, words without end or sound.
When I focus on how to phrase something I want to say just right, or on something I’m reading back to make sure I understood it however the words gain a voice: it’s always my fathers.
I can also ‘see’ the structure of thoughts like an internal 3D visual. Not all the time: it just comes when I focus on how a series of ideas or propositions fit together to make a whole concept.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2020, 5:24 pm

Yes, I seem to have a constantly running stream of thought monologue going on in my brain, and also some imagery, and "video" at times. Some of it is automatic, and sometimes I actively run it on purpose, to follow threads that are more interesting at the given moment. I also make voice memos with my phone to allow myself to vent my thoughts, I only save memos with important info that needs to be kept for a while. The "vent" memos get deleted after a day or two. I have always had this stream of thought thing going on in my head. At times it fades out into the background, so I don't hear it upfront for a while, while I am engrossed in something, but it's always there. I find that after I've been watching TV/movies, or listening to audio stuff, like audiobooks, podcasts, and streaming radio for a while, I need to not listen to audible programming for a while, as my brain needs a rest from the external noise. I have always been able to handle long quiet times, because of this need. I would probably listen to less programming if I wasn't able to hear the unpleasant high pitched electronic squeal of things like monitors and radios. Many people can't hear that sound because it's very high, but I can. Listening to programming helps to drown it out for a while. By the way, most people can't hear the low end of a bat's vocalizations because even the low end of their range is too high for most people, but there are a few people who can hear that low end, including me. A dog I used to have needed to be walked at every home we lived in while we had him--an apartment with no yard, then a house with no fence around the yard. Anyway, sometimes I walked him when the bats were out hunting bugs. If it was just a little after sunset, the sky would still be light enough so I could see them, and I could also hear their low-end calls. Even many years before we had this dog I knew I could hear the bats, as I would hear and see them snatching moths from the glow of the street and door lights. I wonder if this extreme ability is part of my being on the spectrum.

Anyway, I do know that the quiet time I take after listening to stuff for a while is a help to me, and it also gives my internal dialog a chance to be heard better for a while.