Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Zeke1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Jan 2020, 8:57 am

Hello,

Long story short, I'm a 28 year old diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic but I've been dealing with Aspergers symptoms my whole life. Growing up, the symptoms were pretty mild. I played sports, and had some friends. But I was very shy and very rarely had friends outside of my social circle (sports friends). Then, when I went to college, everything blew up in my face. I didn't know how to socialize, and didn't want to socialize. Some of this was due to my prodromal phase of schizophrenia.

Anyways, I've been doing some online testing from credible sites, and they've said I either have Aspergers, or need to get tested. I talked to my case manager about it, and he was supportive. Now I'm going to bring it up with my psychiatrist. She doesn't know me that well (I just changed pdocs about 2 months ago). My parents also think it's a good idea to get tested.

I'm currently on SSDI for schizophrenia, although I start a job next week! First job in 8 months, so I'm excited. Anyways, any insight or thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

EstelleTenebrica
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Jan 2020, 3:56 pm

Congratulations on your new job.
I've found that team sports keep me just social enough, and helps me form bonds that there's no way I could or would otherwise. Now in my 50's I find it a struggle to leave the house, as sports make my body hurt. The obvious answer for me is to pick up something else, maybe pickleball, that older folks can do, but it's tough to get started because I don't like people. Kind of a catch-22.
You might look for a community-oriented sport to try. I started ultimate frisbee at the age of 23 and it probably saved my life. If you're near a city, you can usually find at least softball and soccer, though I found ultimate frisbee more welcoming to neurodiversity than more traditional sports.
Thanks for teaching me a new word. I had to look up prodromal.

"I am 39 years old, and I still wake up every morning really excited I don't have to go to school." - Sarah Silverman
"There are still a few animals left out in the yard, but it's getting harder..." Jim Morrison

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2020, 5:27 pm

Hello. Welcome to Wrong Planet.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2020, 6:24 pm

Hi Zeke
Welcome to Wrong Planet. I would love to learn more about your paranoia schizophrenia as a relative of mine has that as well. I also believe that this relative is also Autistic but he has not been diagnosed. I got my Autism diagnosis at the age of 47 five years ago. Sometimes it can be difficult to tell if you are Autistic or not but if you think you might be, I would definitely suggest getting tested. It has really helped me to get tested. And if you are tested and you find out you are Autistic, that will be very helpful because it will help you distinguish between Autistic issues and PS issues and you can tailor the services that you are getting to suit your needs better.

I think it is really fantastic that you found a job. I hope that you love your job and that you have great success in it.

Wreck It Ralph