Meltdowns are always due to sensory issues?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2020, 8:03 am

Right or wrong ?

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

01 Feb 2020, 9:37 am

"Always" - likely not.
"In most cases" - likely.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

PoseyBuster88
Toucan
Toucan

01 Feb 2020, 9:47 am

For me, they seem to always be due to stress. That stress could be sensory, but often times it's too many requests/expectations/questions on top of the stress from sensory input. I might be able to deal with a screaming baby, but if you add in a spouse asking me questions about why the baby is screaming, what I plan to do to fix it, etc, that is usually the tipping point.

Or if I haven't had a chance to be alone and quiet all day and when I finally think I have some time someone tells me about ANOTHER responsibility I have to do...that can be the catalyst as well.

So does that count as sensory?

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2020, 3:07 pm

Stimuli leading to meltdowns are not necessarily sensory, but all forms of it.
Not only external but also internal. Not only physically but also emotional and mental overwhelm.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2020, 3:31 pm

Wrong. They can be caused by sensory issues and by other issues as well. I have plenty of meltdowns from conversations with people

Wreck It Ralph

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2020, 3:37 pm

No. Mine can be from:

- sensory
- frustration
- emotional flashbacks
- bullying or poor treatment
- executive dysfunction / disorganisation
- exhaustion and fatigue
- impatience
- verbal demands (I'm selective mute)
- fear and anxiety
- lack of control in a situation
- change in routine
- insecurity
- confusion
- agoraphobia
- alexithymia (not knowing how I feel)

Just to name a few ...

Basically, any time demand exceeds capacity.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2020, 3:44 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:

Basically, any time demand exceeds capacity.
This!

Wreck It Ralph

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2020, 3:53 pm

Mine also seem to be due to an accumulation of stress, which can be because of sensory issues or not. Frustration from communication issues or other things, strong emotions, being yelled at, having too many things to do at once and/or not knowing how to address a task, not having enough time to myself, and probably a bunch of other things I'm not coming up with right now can all lead to meltdowns or shutdowns, in addition to sensory issues.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2020, 3:59 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:
not having enough time to myself

THIS!

Whale_Tuune
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2020, 6:06 pm

I have only had meltdowns from violations in my established routines. I have sometimes had mild shutdown from sensory issues, but not frequently. I am much more tolerant of sounds and lights as I get older.

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2020, 10:32 pm

My meltdowns have been only from extreme emotional stress for as far back as I can remember. I should ask my family if I had sensory meltdowns when very young. As a teenager, I remember having sensory problems when in noisy, crowded places. I would feel anxious and wanted to get out of the situation as soon as possible. Is that more of a shutdown, since the result was I wasn't functional while in the situation?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2020, 12:31 am

Ive always heard that meltdowns are caused by stressful situations. That's the norm. And that's what the above posters all confirm.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2020, 5:19 am

Thanks all of you for your informative replies . I asked the question based on remarks by a person on a mental health forum I go on . He said

Quote:
It is pretty normal to shut down when you have stress, when it is not normal is when it is becuase of taste or smell or noises.

The thread was started by someone who had recently been told he might be on the spectrum . The poster I quoted was claiming that meltdowns and shutdowns were only autism related if due to sensory issues .

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2020, 5:35 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Ive always heard that meltdowns are caused by stressful situations. That's the norm. And that's what the above posters all confirm.

Exactly.
What is stressful for one autistic person may not be for another.

I've usually leaned towards shutdowns, meltdowns have happened only when there are multiple sources of stress at the same time, beyond my coping abilities.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2020, 5:53 am

One thing I used to do when things got too much was to drink as much booze as I could , as quickly as I could, to crash out .

Aspie With Attitude
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Feb 2020, 6:41 am

Here's this one video that I did a while ago on my autistic YouTube channel "Aspie With Attitude".

This video content may not answer the question about meltdowns are due to sensory issues.

What I have mentioned in the video about this sad story when I once shared my home with my sister back in 2013 with some of unemployed friends, I had an experience I had meltdown triggers when I was in a very small kitchen. Each and every time I did have my kitchen clean and tidy, it drew in a crowd of deadbeat hippies who wanted to live on top of me and due to my anger issues at the time, I wasn't entitled that kind of space since I had problems doing my own cooking with their messes left behind.

I also make fantasy test card animation and mix my own music.

Please follow this link to subscribe to my YouTube Channel "Aspie With Attitude" --> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL2iDI ... Hb4eeYlodQ