Self Dxers Who Don't Want a Diagnosis; Why Not?

Page 6 of 7 [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2020, 7:52 pm

B19 wrote:
You've certainly been a support to me through some challenges. (Replying to APOM)

You to me also.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

I love belko61
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2020, 7:16 am

I read that by our mid 30's that most autistic people - whether aspie or not - have very similar needs and end up in a similar place. That an aspie had an easier early start in life but because they lacked supports we all end up having very similar issues with employment, mental states, our relationships, etc.

That is the main reason Aspergers was added to the DSM-5. Doctors decided we all need supports and early intervention, so hopefully young people in the system today can avoid our difficulties.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

15 Feb 2020, 8:59 am

I love belko61 wrote:
I read that by our mid 30's that most autistic people - whether aspie or not - have very similar needs and end up in a similar place. That an aspie had an easier early start in life but because they lacked supports we all end up having very similar issues with employment, mental states, our relationships, etc.

That is the main reason Aspergers was added to the DSM-5. Doctors decided we all need supports and early intervention, so hopefully young people in the system today can avoid our difficulties.

Depends on the kind of the intervention...

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

I love belko61
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2020, 10:19 am

I listened to ebook Neurotribes and autism has a terrible history for sure. Education and time...

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2020, 12:36 pm

Here is a link that provides a summary of coverage for autism related diagnosis, treatment, therapies in each state in the US.

https://www.asha.org/Advocacy/state/Sta ... -Mandates/

I only got through the middle of the alphabet, but the vast majority of states cover services only for children and some states cut off coverage as early as age 5. Others, were ages 7, or 14, or 18, or 21.

Only a couple of states had language not limiting coverage to children.

BTW, @StarTrekker, I read your OP as wanting to understand, and not wanting to pass judgment. Autism has such a, well, spectrum, of characteristics, the ability to get an overall perspective is limited. I am really glad that, whatever supports you need, you are able to get online and participate in WP.

goatfish57
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In a village in La Mancha whose name I cannot recall

16 Feb 2020, 7:59 am

I gave this some thought over the last 24 hours and came to a few conclusions. There is the obvious cost-benefit type of reasons, given my age, social and financial situation. But that is not the real answer.

First, I am deathly afraid of exposing myself to another person, especially, mental health professionals. Both of my parents were mental health professionals and I saw therapy as punishment for being different.

The other reason is my fear of being told that I am a flaming as*hole and autism is just an excuse for my failures.

As you may gather, avoidance is my main compensation technique

Not Diagnosed and Not Sure

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2020, 8:38 am

goatfish57 wrote:
The other reason is my fear of being told that I am a flaming as*hole and autism is just an excuse for my failures.

My ASD coach kindly tells me I am very "genuine" (and, yes, I am aware that a*hole is the other perspective). I don't like being the "cause" of my failures regardless of diagnosis. But I get you: I have family members who will criticize me like that. But really they'll criticize me regardless, it's just that's an easy one "making an excuse", before diagnosis it would just be "you're on your pity pot". I prefer to "make an excuse" to being on my "pity pot". And my ASD coach suggests perhaps I prefer not to interact with them at all. But then that would make me an a*hole and we're back to where we started. Oops.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2020, 9:24 am

So they can come on WP and troll,mock belittle and berate the more disabled members of WP,or particularly more the middle functioning,the lower functioning gets somewhat protected.

To mock and belittle people with more comorbids and people like me who because of years on high doses of Ativan(lorazapam)have some cognitive issues,like I can't post links or post my own avatar picture.

I have no problem with self DX'ers at all but there are those who come to WP just to troll,we all know who they are.

goatfish57
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In a village in La Mancha whose name I cannot recall

17 Feb 2020, 9:51 am

SharonB wrote:
goatfish57 wrote:

My ASD coach kindly tells me I am very "genuine" (and, yes, I am aware that a*hole is the other perspective). I don't like being the "cause" of my failures regardless of diagnosis. But I get you: I have family members who will criticize me like that. But really they'll criticize me regardless, it's just that's an easy one "making an excuse", before diagnosis it would just be "you're on your pity pot". I prefer to "make an excuse" to being on my "pity pot". And my ASD coach suggests perhaps I prefer not to interact with them at all. But then that would make me an a*hole and we're back to where we started. Oops.

Thank you for the honesty, we all have demons that will not let us rest. I am glad you have a good coach.

Not Diagnosed and Not Sure

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2020, 11:53 am

At the end of the day we have to trust that the vast majority of people here are genuine whether officially or self diagnosed .

Also that the more astute members and the moderators here will be quick to spot and deal with the trolls .

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2020, 12:19 pm

firemonkey wrote:
At the end of the day we have to trust that the vast majority of people here are genuine whether officially or self diagnosed .

Also that the more astute members and the moderators here will be quick to spot and deal with the trolls .

And I have the Hoosac tunnel for sale for $100 :lol:

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

17 Feb 2020, 12:38 pm

vermontsavant wrote:

How about love potions?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2020, 1:03 pm

magz wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:

How about love potions?
The freight trains running through the Hoosac tunnel are carrying love potions and the love potions are made with real water from the Hoosic river.And it's all $100.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2020, 1:25 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
firemonkey wrote:

I am not sure I understand this post, vermontsavant.

Just asking. I could really be wrong here. Is it supposed to be sarcastic? A criticism of the mods? A put down of autists lacking a professional diagnosis? Or just funny and I missed the point?

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2020, 1:40 pm

blazingstar wrote:

I am not sure I understand this post, vermontsavant.

Just asking. I could really be wrong here. Is it supposed to be sarcastic? A criticism of the mods? A put down of autists lacking a professional diagnosis? Or just funny and I missed the point?[/quote]

1.It's not really a put down of the undiagnosed,for most of the unDXed on this site are nice,only a small few have been condecending or rude to me or others.

2.It's not really a put down of the moderators because there job is to complex and demanding to weed out all trolls,no website no matter how vigilent the mods may be will have trolls.But this is why from time to time I speak out against trolls on WP.

3.Of coarse I was being sarcastic,I obviously don't own the Hoosac tunnel and don't have it for sale,I was just having fun there.And being that there is a railroad switchyard across the street from my house and I can see the Hoosic river from my window,I thought the Hoosac tunnel was a better joke than the Brooklyn bridge.

Callisthenes
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Feb 2020, 2:24 pm

I am afraid I'll be discriminated against. Applications for certain privileges ask whether you have any mental illnesses/disabilities. If this goes on my file I am afraid I might lose such privileges. A while back I heard a US couple's application for Canadian residency was rejected because their son was autistic. I do want a formal diagnosis though just for personal closure. Seems risky though...