Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2020, 5:50 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
AmtrakFred wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
Since a child I just don't like cooked egg. I will eat it raw though I rarely do, but boiled, poached, fried etc... Errr!
It came to me thinking about it that it is the feeling of the white of the egg in my mouth that turns me and the smell, where though as a young child I did not mind the yoke, and if I should eat them raw the yoke is tollerable (And raw the white (Clear) is tollerable (I don't say I like them but I tollerate them in their raw form)), yet when cooked in things like pancakes and cakes I will eat them. Ooh. I hate omlette. Errr! But pancakes... Yummm!

But it it the texture in my mouth that turns on me and the smell of egg sandwiches! If an egg sandwich walks anywhere near me I am off!! !

Mountain Goat,

This could be related to your autism but just as easily not. I know a number of people who do not like and will not eat eggs.

I am not a picky eater and can eat just about anything with one exception. If something smells or tastes as if it's gone off just a little bit, I simply cannot tolerate that. I will gag on it. But is that caused by my autism? Possibly but probably not.

Regards,
Amtrak Fred

Thanks. You can see that I am trying to make sense of things. When I am assessed, I am not sure, but if I am on the spectrum, would the assessment be able to pick up on the things like this? I know this one is minor as one just avoids cooked eggs unless they are mixed in things so I don't notice them.

MG Before I did my assessment I was emailed a set of questions called a Developmental History. There were questions about food sensitivities (all sensory issues). I was able to make long lists of sensory issues pertaining to all my five senses in the areas of sleep, food, etc. I responded in point-form bullets with category headings, but my response to the sensory / food question alone was several pages long including smell, touch, taste, texture, sound.

I hope you will be given the same opportunity.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2020, 11:00 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
AmtrakFred wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
Since a child I just don't like cooked egg. I will eat it raw though I rarely do, but boiled, poached, fried etc... Errr!
It came to me thinking about it that it is the feeling of the white of the egg in my mouth that turns me and the smell, where though as a young child I did not mind the yoke, and if I should eat them raw the yoke is tollerable (And raw the white (Clear) is tollerable (I don't say I like them but I tollerate them in their raw form)), yet when cooked in things like pancakes and cakes I will eat them. Ooh. I hate omlette. Errr! But pancakes... Yummm!

But it it the texture in my mouth that turns on me and the smell of egg sandwiches! If an egg sandwich walks anywhere near me I am off!! !

Mountain Goat,

This could be related to your autism but just as easily not. I know a number of people who do not like and will not eat eggs.

I am not a picky eater and can eat just about anything with one exception. If something smells or tastes as if it's gone off just a little bit, I simply cannot tolerate that. I will gag on it. But is that caused by my autism? Possibly but probably not.

Regards,
Amtrak Fred

Thanks. You can see that I am trying to make sense of things. When I am assessed, I am not sure, but if I am on the spectrum, would the assessment be able to pick up on the things like this? I know this one is minor as one just avoids cooked eggs unless they are mixed in things so I don't notice them.

MG Before I did my assessment I was emailed a set of questions called a Developmental History. There were questions about food sensitivities (all sensory issues). I was able to make long lists of sensory issues pertaining to all my five senses in the areas of sleep, food, etc. I responded in point-form bullets with category headings, but my response to the sensory / food question alone was several pages long including smell, touch, taste, texture, sound.

I hope you will be given the same opportunity.

I would need prompting... I mean... Well. I will need to be asked the right questions before I can answer. Otherwize it is months of careful thought! :mrgreen:

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2020, 11:08 pm

MG
I wonder if you know who will be doing your assessment? If so you might be able to get a copy of the DH questions early, so you can start to work on it. Mine took me a couple of months. In the meantime, or even if you don't end up needing a DH, it's a good idea to start making notes about whatever comes to mind. If you don't do a DH you will still want your notes as personal prompts for when you speak to the assessment doctor.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2020, 11:20 pm

firemonkey wrote:
With me it's not that I dislike eggs , but things like creamed eggs( had this quite a lot in hospital), rich scrambled eggs and rich omelette can make me feel nauseous .
was

You're the only other person I've seen that has mentioned "creamed eggs". I'm very curious as to what you mean by "creamed eggs".

My grandfather was a milkman and he made a dish called creamed eggs and I've never seen a recipe anywhere that is similar to the way he made them.

I like eggs in all forms. I have never tried them raw and don't have a desire to. You like them raw, Mountain Goat??

AmtrakFred
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Feb 2020, 12:37 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:

M.G.,

You said "when I am assessed". Did you try taking a self-guided online quiz? Once I became really suspicious that I am autistic, I contacted "Autism Speaks" and explained my situation. I asked them how I could know if I had autism. They sent me URLs to two online quizzes. I scored poorly on both of them. So now I am reasonably sure to the point of being 99% sure that I do, in fact, have it.

At my age, I see no real point in seeking out a "professional" diagnoses by and "expert". In America, that would probably cost me at least several hundred dollars to find something out that I think I already know.

Cheers,
AmtrakFred

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2020, 12:56 pm

Magna wrote:
firemonkey wrote:
With me it's not that I dislike eggs , but things like creamed eggs( had this quite a lot in hospital), rich scrambled eggs and rich omelette can make me feel nauseous .
was

You're the only other person I've seen that has mentioned "creamed eggs". I'm very curious as to what you mean by "creamed eggs".

My grandfather was a milkman and he made a dish called creamed eggs and I've never seen a recipe anywhere that is similar to the way he made them.

I like eggs in all forms. I have never tried them raw and don't have a desire to. You like them raw, Mountain Goat??

What I know as creamed eggs are chopped boiled eggs with Béchamel sauce (similar to Alfredo, butter, flour and milk) usually served on toast, not sure if it's the same in the UK.

I love eggs in all forms too, including raw (just the yolk), or raw and mixed with other ingredients without cooking.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2020, 2:46 pm

AmtrakFred wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

M.G.,

You said "when I am assessed". Did you try taking a self-guided online quiz? Once I became really suspicious that I am autistic, I contacted "Autism Speaks" and explained my situation. I asked them how I could know if I had autism. They sent me URLs to two online quizzes. I scored poorly on both of them. So now I am reasonably sure to the point of being 99% sure that I do, in fact, have it.

At my age, I see no real point in seeking out a "professional" diagnoses by and "expert". In America, that would probably cost me at least several hundred dollars to find something out that I think I already know.

Cheers,
AmtrakFred

I did the online things which gave the results that are on my signature below if those make sense? Not sure how accurate they are.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2020, 3:13 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
MG
I wonder if you know who will be doing your assessment? If so you might be able to get a copy of the DH questions early, so you can start to work on it. Mine took me a couple of months. In the meantime, or even if you don't end up needing a DH, it's a good idea to start making notes about whatever comes to mind. If you don't do a DH you will still want your notes as personal prompts for when you speak to the assessment doctor.

Maybe an idea. I have taken a few notes when I found out I have traits as I was really surprized to find aspects of my character were traits. Haha. It is wierd to find that. I mean...From knowing hardly anything about autism to then finding I had quite a few traits... It was and has been quite a shock and a journey of discovery.

But going back to a puzzling question I have and a realization... Well.. If I am on the spectrum and looking to how I am now and back at my history, how was I able to function soo well over so many years? And how well masking was working! Oh, I know I was masking and I was good at it, but strangely, though masking is one big act, I find that I never wanted to be an actor as... Well. Masking is an act that one puts on because one has to. Acting is to me a false world that I am putting on top of a real world that I'm already acting in? It is the very thing that I want to get away from if that makes sense?
Anyway... Ok. I am thread drifting again now.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2020, 7:14 pm

I never did care for egg-salad - yet, I love eggs cooked as omelettes, over-easy, scrambled esp. with home-fries, gravy, biscuits, and sausage!

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2020, 3:26 pm

AmtrakFred wrote:

Both of the above are "related to autism" in the sense of being one of many possible sensory traits which, if you have enough of them (or if at least one of them is intense enough), add up to criterion B4 of the DSM 5 criteria for ASD, "hyper- or hyporeactivity to sensory input or unusual interest in sensory aspects of the environment." This is only one of the diagnostic criteria, and is one of the optional ones.