Help! I just met an autistic about to age out of system

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

marnster
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Feb 2020, 4:19 pm

I am 59 and just in the past few months found out that I am an aspie. Since then I met a 16 year old boy who was abandoned by his parents and has legal problems and dropped out of high school. He lives with his grandparents and they are trying to kick him out. He has no financial resources. How can I find help for him before it is too late? And if this is a topic already covered, please let me know how I may find the other places. Thanks

B19
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2020, 4:31 pm

It might help if you were more clear about what area and country he lives in. WA means Western Australia to me, and lack of specific information can cause confusion in international forums.

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2020, 4:35 pm

Have you tried anything through here?

https://www.commerce.wa.gov/serving-com ... elessness/

Apologies in advance if either you already have, or it’s not really what you had in mind.

Edit: I’ve autopilot assumed Washington State, USA, additional offer of apology if I’m thousands of miles out geographically.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2020, 12:17 pm

Assuming he has a diagnosis, the most important thing he needs right now is to apply for disability benefits, and get in touch with your local department of vocational rehabilitation (assuming you're in the US). They will support him in finding and keeping a job. Disability benefits can take upwards of two years to approve, but the wait may be shorter for him because autism is directly listed under "qualifying disabilities". I would also call child protective services and let them know what's going on, because they can help him find housing either by legally forcing the grandparents to keep him, or by taking him to foster care until he's 18.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2020, 12:49 pm

He’s in the US. There’s is no Burlington, Western Australia.

The 16 year old guy must be supported, at the very least, by Washington State. His parents, actually, probably have to support him, or his grandparents.

What sort of legal problems does he have? When he turns 18, the vast majority of juvenile convictions are automatically sealed or expunged.

The ideal situation would be you taking him in under a foster care sort of situation.

marnster
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Feb 2020, 12:05 am

Hello,
Moderator: I have never heard of Western Australia. I didn't know this is an international site. This is my first post other to just say "hi I am here."
Kar.Vel thank you for the link and I will look into it. Yes, Washington State, USA.
StarTrekkerVet: thank you for the extremely useful information.
Kra.KorVet thanks also. He is a registered sex offender. Nobody really cares about him; his grandparents want him to leave. From my observation he is definitely Autistic but I don't know him enough to see if he is Aspie. His Grandparents don't have a clue about this. I think they have never heard of autism. They don't see him as unable to take care of himself, but rather, unwilling. They think he is rebellious and that sort of stuff.
Summary: I will definitely call the CSS an hopefully they can help him. Two years to get on disability is the MINIMUM. This guy will probably be a suicidally ideationalized mess very soon. Thanks for your suggestions. I do appreciate.