Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Marjatta
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Jun 2020, 6:58 am

Is there anything written on the subject of growing up with aspie parents, when you yourself is an NT?

I have this idea - I can't really know, of course. But I think that possibly my sister is the only NT in the family. If so, that must have put a lot of stress on her, growing up.

Does anyone relate to this?

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2020, 7:56 am

In this forum, there are accounts in Parents' Discussion...

Then some:
Goggle search engine, type exactly as is:

Code:
"autistic parents" "NT child"

This should be one of the results:
https://aspar.wordpress.com/response-to-critics/

I'm not one myself.
I'm one of those sole aspie in both sides of the family.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2020, 9:48 am

A few years ago I was going to do a dissertation project about autistic people in positions of power. Life had different ideas for me and I didn’t get to go forward with my plans.

I have not looked lately, but as of 2-5 years ago, there was nearly nothing. I can speak loosely and non-authoritatively on the subject, but so can anyone else here.

The environment would depend on the specific autist in power. It could be very positive, with the natural objectivity and honesty of the autistic(s) in power creating a safe world for the neurotypical to live or work in. However, it could also be hard for a neurotypical person to not have other neurotypicals to mirror off of or groupthink with. The neurotypical person may feel that they are wrong or can never measure up. Pretty much the same as an autistic person in an NT dominant household or workplace.

I always like to use gender and race to think about autism. A male growing up in a family of only females. A black person in a workplace of only whites. It would have both positive and negative effects on the person who is different.

I love that you are thinking about this stuff. You are obviously a kind and thoughtful person. Your sister is lucky to have you.