Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

FallingDownMan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Mar 2020, 5:37 pm

It's a term we are all hearing on the news these days. Social distancing. I think it is funny that for the most part, they are recommending people live a life similar to what I live daily.

The only big change in life style for me is I'm actually leaving the house more often than normal in order to find some toilet paper... hahahaha

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2020, 6:42 pm

I saw no reason to cancel a blood test and doctor's visit. My social contact is so sparse that I'll likely know whether I contracted the disease before I have a chance to spread it!

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2020, 9:47 pm

finally! I have an excuse to politely get out of some events I didn't want to attend anyway!

I think I'm going to save money cooking at home this month. It's fun to plan out my meals- even better to actually have time to cook them! :)

HacKING
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Mar 2020, 11:42 pm

I don't visit people much anyway, like many of you. The thing is that for some people who unlike some of us don't have consuming hobbies that can be done solitarily, they source all of their enjoyment in life from socializing and basically doing the opposite of social distancing. Deprived of this, they may feel at a loss for what to do.

Alterity
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2020, 11:57 pm

Ditto that. It was kind of a strange feeling that the everyday life I've generally lived is called "social distancing". Now all of a sudden everyone has my social anxiety lol

AddiAddisionH
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Mar 2020, 12:17 am

I work with children (well not anymore I've been laid off for the time being) I have a doctors appointment today and my doctor was coughing on the phone so fingers cross I don't catch this crap.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2020, 12:23 am

Feels like a very productive vacation to me.
Funny, it's a type of change that I happened to like despite the current situation or it's circumstances.

It's just this whole time that my mind always have to distract itself from any defined end-date, other half tries to binge said time because it's 'limited' time.

Now there's no defined end-date nor said limited time is specifically defined, I've been more relaxed and productive as ever.
It means the back of my mind doesn't have to hold a damn date 'when it ends' and 'wanting it to end'. :lol:

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2020, 4:18 am

The counseling clinic is closed for three weeks

But I usually only go one hour a week

The library is closed until further notice

The largest change. Can't apply for job or check out books or Facebook or print. But many companies are closed because Coronovirus so whatever

The Building of Psychobabble Uppity Extroverts is closed three weeks

But I wasn't getting better anyways

Rolando penis had the nerve to tell me that he talked to :evil: "sensei" :heart: about "what happened". :idea: and pretty much gave me ultimatum. :mrgreen: :D so whatever :x

"Much Ado about nothing"

I think it's an overreaction to close all non-essential companies, limit the number of customers in the grocery store at a time. Close schools.

The county where I live, shelter in place.

How they enforce it, I can't imagine

It says you can leave your house to.provide or receive essential service. Medical, grocery, pharmacy, laundry, whatever.

Homeless are fragile

warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2020, 10:24 am

It might be surprising, but I get lonely easily, even though I enjoy a lot of alone time. The whole social distancing thing and the fact that NONE of my friends are consistently available for digital communication makes me pretty sad.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2020, 7:19 pm

I probably sound like a broken record, but my hope is that after this pandemic ebbs the shaking of hands as a greeting becomes a thing of the past. It would be bizarre to me if it came right back into social acceptance.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2020, 9:57 am

The pendulum has swung from poo-pooing the problem to full-blown panic. The problem is serious for older and immunocompromised people, particularly older people packed together like sardines in nursing homes.

Here is my situation:

Job on hold
No tennis to play or even watch (except for vintage Nadal, Federer and Istomin clips)
No Toastmasters meetings (one club is dead and we can't even write a proper post mortem by going out and retrieving the supplies)
No church meetings (However, my pastor did call me, which was very nice)
I worry about family and friends getting sick
Not feeling too good myself at the moment and have to distance myself
Volunteer activities I planned are on hold as well.

Oh, well. This is technically my weekend. I will get started on projects I need to complete. I will do my normal chores and new ones in the morning and write during my traditional downtime hours.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2020, 10:05 am

Last night, we had our mid-week prayer meeting through a conference call. It did not go well because some people either did not know how to mute their phones, or they did know and simply refused to do so. This Sunday's regular service will be live-streamed from the church building with no one in the pews and only the pastors taking turns at the pulpit.

My employer has split our shifts so that each of us sees only one other co-worker the entire day. One of our customers' place of business is on lock-down and all of their employees are staying home until the end of March.

Even the neighbors have stopped greeting each other, but only wave from inside their homes or vehicles.

My gaming group's bi-weekly session is on hold until further notice.

:(

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

rundembear
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Mar 2020, 11:17 am

My office has gone to almost everyone working from home, which I do normally anyway. There are all of these people freaking out and figuring out how they are going to manage without all of their social interaction during the day. Sadly I think this is a problem for us as it illustrates how incomprehensible it is to a lot of non-autistic people that we actually prefer to avoid all that awkward social stuff. I also wish there were some way to point out to these people that this is yet another example of being autistic actually being a benefit under the right circumstances, but I'm pretty sure they would just think I was being mean.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

- Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2020, 2:31 pm

Rather paradoxically, I'm having the opposite problem - I can't get distant enough.

Since social distancing has been advised, and many social functions and institutions have been shut down, I'm really struggling to deal with the noise from neighbours who are home all day with their radio/TV blaring and who's kids are temporarily off school while poorly classmates are tested to check whether they may have spread the virus (a reasonable enough precaution, of course).

Even though it's still rather wintry here, I've seriously been thinking about packing my tent and camping up on the moors for a few days just to get some peace and quiet.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2020, 3:42 pm

At my local grocers, social distancing works better when people refrain from panic buying - that is collectively being mindful of our familiar environs can help reduce the density of people.

TheMikeFrom1980
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Mar 2020, 3:46 pm

FallingDownMan wrote:
It's a term we are all hearing on the news these days. Social distancing. I think it is funny that for the most part, they are recommending people live a life similar to what I live daily.

:lol:

SAME!