The answer to your question: NO

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2020, 4:26 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
The answer to your question: NO

Kraftie has lots of jobs.

My job is very social so I can do 16 hours a week. When I was younger I did 25-35hours but it was a huge struggle and all of my time off was spent on recovering. I've grown kinder to myself as I've aged.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2020, 4:55 pm

Taranos262 wrote:
Im i ungrateful if i reject money from the government ( disability benefits) because i dont want to be dependent in others and lose my freedom? I just dont want to work in a protected workplace and live in assisted living, or in german "betreutes wohnen" because i value freedom very much.

As Dear_one put, you are looking at this in a very black and white way. No one is completely independent or free. We are all interdependent to different degrees and on different things. Also unless you never interact fully with other people it is impossible to be free from other people's expectations.

I live alone, work at a job where they don't know I am on the spectrum, pay my rent, cook my food, clean, I am rewriting the novel I wrote, collect history and fiction books, keep an eye on my dad, and manage my finances well. But my earnings make up 2/3 of my income and the guv gives me the rest because otherwise I would not be able to live. Even when I used to work more hours and paid for everything, I paid very little in tax so I have always been subsidised when it comes to healthcare and paying for things like the police and army and everything else.

It would be very hard to go out and get a full time job that will give you enough money to rent somewhere on your own normally, as things are right now it would be impossible, but that does not mean you can not work towards that goal, or that your life would be worthless if you do not make it to being fully financially independent.

It is a good feeling to contribute to society but it can be achieved in many ways. The job I have as a shop assistant is in a shop with many elderly customers and we look after them and I know for some I might be the only person they speak to that day, that is very important so I try to make them smile and we have a chat.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2020, 8:23 pm

Taranos262 wrote:
Are all Autists unemployed?
No. Definately not. Except for about 17 months in the late 1980s, I have not been unemployed for more than a few weeks since 1975.
Taranos262 wrote:
It seems to me that most autists are unemployed, live either by their parents, live on welfare, or disability payments.  My question is why is that?
They either (a) have a condition that prevents them from holding down a job, (b) believe that their condition prevents them from ever holding down a job, (c) have a condition that makes it difficult to get through the interview process, or (d) believe they have a condition that makes it difficult to get through the interview process.
Taranos262 wrote:
Why is it so Hard for most Autists to get even a simple job?
See answer to previous question. Also, they either (a) set their expectations too high, (b) have too few skills for the job, (c) are unwilling to travel, (d) are unwilling to work with people, (e) are unwilling to follow directions, (f) are victims of sensory overload no matter what jobs they do.
Taranos262 wrote:
What makes it exactly so difficult?
See previous answers.
Taranos262 wrote:
And what would have to change that more autists could find a job?
Cure autism.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Taranos262
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Mar 2020, 2:47 am

fluffysaurus wrote:
Taranos262 wrote:
Im i ungrateful if i reject money from the government ( disability benefits) because i dont want to be dependent in others and lose my freedom? I just dont want to work in a protected workplace and live in assisted living, or in german "betreutes wohnen" because i value freedom very much.

As Dear_one put, you are looking at this in a very black and white way. No one is completely independent or free. We are all interdependent to different degrees and on different things. Also unless you never interact fully with other people it is impossible to be free from other people's expectations.

I live alone, work at a job where they don't know I am on the spectrum, pay my rent, cook my food, clean, I am rewriting the novel I wrote, collect history and fiction books, keep an eye on my dad, and manage my finances well. But my earnings make up 2/3 of my income and the guv gives me the rest because otherwise I would not be able to live. Even when I used to work more hours and paid for everything, I paid very little in tax so I have always been subsidised when it comes to healthcare and paying for things like the police and army and everything else.

It would be very hard to go out and get a full time job that will give you enough money to rent somewhere on your own normally, as things are right now it would be impossible, but that does not mean you can not work towards that goal, or that your life would be worthless if you do not make it to being fully financially independent.

It is a good feeling to contribute to society but it can be achieved in many ways. The job I have as a shop assistant is in a shop with many elderly customers and we look after them and I know for some I might be the only person they speak to that day, that is very important so I try to make them smile and we have a chat.

I dont live in England. Where i live its still possibility to live independently in a normal salary. Therapie thing ist they dont think im actually able to work. Atleast thats what the IV Invalidenversicherung thinks. Maybe its Vetter when the useless die Off? Natural Selection.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2020, 3:19 am

Taranos262 wrote:
I dont live in England. Where i live its still possibility to live independently in a normal salary. Therapie thing ist they dont think im actually able to work. Atleast thats what the IV Invalidenversicherung thinks. Maybe its Vetter when the useless die Off? Natural Selection.

Therapie isn't hiring. What do the employers say? There are many jobs where everyone has to work as a team, but there are others that can be done in an individual manner. A very good way to find out if you could work is to start as a volunteer. Even better is if you can find something that needs doing, and volunteer yourself for that. That sort of thing can turn into self-employment, the best kind.
You could also impose a way of earning your welfare on yourself. Find your talent and use it to help others even if they can't pay. If you demand a job, you might get to sort recyclables, replace a machine, or just have your work thrown away. It costs an employer a lot more than your salary to have you there - you have to fit somehow.
You would also sound far more employable if you would mention a particular job that you have some interest or aptitude in.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2020, 3:27 am

Many of us do struggle with finding employment, but many of us are employed, some of us even gainfully employed.

Two words: Bill Gates

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2020, 9:03 am

Taranos262 wrote:
I don't live in England.
You live in Switzerland; Bern, perhaps?
Taranos262 wrote:
Where i live its still possibility to live independently in a normal salary.  Therapie thing ist they don't think I'm actually able to work. At least that's what the IV <disability insurance> thinks.
That explains your unemployed status.
Taranos262 wrote:
Maybe its better when the useless die Off? Natural Selection.
Uh-oh ... is this a "Master Race" philosophy of yours? After all, you have chosen the screen name of "Taranos", which is a mythical Celtic divinity of evil principles.

By the way, "Google Translate" is a very useful tool. "Invalidenversicherung" comes out as "Disability Insurance".

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2020, 10:44 am

I could have been on disability. I had a catastrophic injury which would have allowed me to easily collect SSDI. And my benefits would have been quite adequate to live on. But, I chose not to. Which means I have my own fully paid for house and a retirement portfolio that hopefully will weather the current uncertainty. It is good that I had already diversified with bond funds.

Normal people typically put together rules on predicting stuff like permanent diability. I think they work most of the time. But, not always. Which is why sports is entertaining. We never know who will win until the game is played.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2020, 11:22 am

I could have organized my life around collecting benefits, but then I'd have had to entertain myself artificially. I like making things and solving problems, and sometimes it pays. I got much better toys when it was for business, not hobby.

Taranos262
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Mar 2020, 11:50 am

Dear_one wrote:
Taranos262 wrote:

Therapie isn't hiring. What do the employers say? There are many jobs where everyone has to work as a team, but there are others that can be done in an individual manner. A very good way to find out if you could work is to start as a volunteer. Even better is if you can find something that needs doing, and volunteer yourself for that. That sort of thing can turn into self-employment, the best kind.
You could also impose a way of earning your welfare on yourself. Find your talent and use it to help others even if they can't pay. If you demand a job, you might get to sort recyclables, replace a machine, or just have your work thrown away. It costs an employer a lot more than your salary to have you there - you have to fit somehow.
You would also sound far more employable if you would mention a particular job that you have some interest or aptitude in.

They think. German autocorrecture.

Taranos262
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Mar 2020, 11:53 am

Fnord wrote:
Taranos262 wrote:
I don't live in England.
You live in Switzerland; Bern, perhaps?
Taranos262 wrote:
Where i live its still possibility to live independently in a normal salary.  Therapie thing ist they don't think I'm actually able to work. At least that's what the IV <disability insurance> thinks.
That explains your unemployed status.
Taranos262 wrote:
Maybe its better when the useless die Off? Natural Selection.
Uh-oh ... is this a "Master Race" philosophy of yours? After all, you have chosen the screen name of "Taranos", which is a mythical Celtic divinity of evil principles.

By the way, "Google Translate" is a very useful tool. "Invalidenversicherung" comes out as "Disability Insurance".

What? I didnt know that it is a celtic god of evil. No pure coincidence, really. Well im somewhat of a social darwinist.

Taranos262
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Mar 2020, 11:55 am

BTDT wrote:
I could have been on disability. I had a catastrophic injury which would have allowed me to easily collect SSDI. And my benefits would have been quite adequate to live on. But, I chose not to. Which means I have my own fully paid for house and a retirement portfolio that hopefully will weather the current uncertainty. It is good that I had already diversified with bond funds.

Normal people typically put together rules on predicting stuff like permanent diability. I think they work most of the time. But, not always. Which is why sports is entertaining. We never know who will win until the game is played.

I dont want it either. I dont think im unable to work, atleast not forever.

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2020, 12:16 pm

Taranos262 wrote:
Well im somewhat of a social darwinist.

I thought I was one of those!
Also when I was about your age.
Turns out believing that when you have ASD is a form of intellectual self-sabotage.
I’d recommend dropping it: I did and I’m much happier and more productive (I even have work to go to now!) :D

Velorum
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2020, 3:45 pm

No

I have been in continuous employment as a Registered Nurse for 35 years

Non-binary member of the LGBTQ+ community

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2020, 4:15 pm

Dear_one wrote:
People are hired not just on the basis of ability to do the work, but also to maintain the feeling that the workers are a friendly team. Since there are not enough jobs to go around, that leaves out the misfits. Still, my main barrier to employment was wanting to do good work, not just survive. This led to considerable self employment.

This undoubtedly is prolly best outcome for most Aspies , but finding that niche thing , that allows for self employment may ? go beyond average aspie experience , but certainly is not unattainable.. congrats on your self employment.
In the age of blogging and u tube many people have managed a virtual self employment , it seems to me.

If engaging the retail world , some may need a higher degree of masking or just
trying to find work arounds and see what interests yourself , With that same written above thing , as following the lead of a team , with training , am feeling this can be done.

where ever you go ,there you are