Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

goatfish57
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In a village in La Mancha whose name I cannot recall

21 Mar 2020, 8:56 am

For many of us here, grocery shopping has all ways been stressful. With the current health crisis, grocery shopping has gone nuts with long lines, empty shelves, stressed-out people and health safety concerns.

I am trying to change my shopping habits. Cut back on food a bit and only going out when I run low.

How are you coping? Be safe and be careful

Not Diagnosed and Not Sure

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2020, 9:31 am

Where I live I can use Amazon Fresh to order delivery from Whole Foods. The outbreak caused me to try this the other day and the results were disappointing - they simply cancelled some items and everything else they didn't cancel, they rather arbitrarily replaced with 'similar' items that I didn't really want. But, I suppose, food is food right now so I'll take it.

Beyond that, I've been trying to avoid the store as much as possible. There's often lines to even get in the stores and the people in line are not practicing 'social distancing'. Once inside the store, its not much better. I've found myself trapped in a narrow aisle with people on either end, and generally people are not going out of their way to avoid coming in to close contact with each other as they should be. My best advice is to just try and get in and out as quickly as possible. Know what you want, be familiar with where it all is in the store if possible, and just move with purpose, straight to each item that you are going to buy. I've decided to try and avoid the self-checkout at the stores that have them because everyone is touching the screens, scanners etc. Try to wear gloves of some sort and only touch the stuff you are going to buy.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2020, 9:42 am

I do my main shopping about once a month, but I'll stretch this one. If I lived near the stores, I'd ask a clerk when their least busy times are. The run on toilet paper is absurd. Half the world has none. I would use a lota, as I did in India, or cut up my large pile of rags.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2020, 9:49 am

I'm not too worried about grocery shopping at the moment. Sure, there's a risk of infection, but I try to go when there shouldn't be too many people, try to keep my distance from people even in the shop and take care of hygiene properly when I get home. The one thing that does concern me is that there can be difficulty to find the things I've planned to buy since they're sold out. Couldn't get canned peaches last time and had to go to another store for dried yeast.