Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2020, 1:32 am

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "sense" AS/HFA? It doesn't seem to me that animals massively notice/care about the differences in people with and without ASD. I've heard from a fair amount of autistic people that they get along with and connect with animals easier than people though, and certain animals often seem to be more relaxed around and drawn to people who keep to themselves more, which I think autistic people are more likely to do. Due to that I've noticed autistic people and animals sometimes get along better, but I don't think the animals notice anything specifically relating to the person being autistic besides for the fact they might just act in a way the animal is more comfortable with.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2020, 12:45 pm

B19 wrote:
OP, your topic here seems interesting to me, and you invited people to speculate on it. However unfortunately one member has tried to make it into a scientific debate, which I don't think was your intention.

As one poster has pointed out, people are entitled to their own opinion in a thread like this, and (I would add) without being harassed.

There is no rule here against expressing views which have not been empirically demonstrated. IF there were, we would hardly have any posts in this forum.

OP please continue and if further disruption to your thread occurs, please report.

Thank-you.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2020, 5:45 pm

And thank you JFH for taking a kind interest in what I had to say as this is such a huge and important part of my life. I appreciate your open mind and heart so much. :heart:

Wreck It Ralph

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2020, 6:32 pm

allow me to suggest a theory . Suppose that Autism is not a advanced , Situation of the Brain .
lets say it is exactly the opposite ? But older less developed parts of the brain wired differently ,
Perhaps more akin to a older less developed part of the brain is abit more active or wired into the
Nervous system . primitive types of abilities might have been more developed and necessary to survive. Including intuitive abilities that lie across the spectrum of concious living beings ?
Hunting skills that relied on intuiting movements of animals . To forcast the seasonal changes without the use of Aides.. To sense and use maternal instincts moreover than rather basic knowledge of feeding and keeping chilldren safe. To intuit , ? anticipate danger. both males and females. Modern society andits mechanisms blurr the basic intuitive process in Autistics and , worse NTs may have had some degree of these , bred out of them.
Consequently Earlier iterations of our species may have had a degree of understanding even sensing urges or feeling or communicative abilities of cross species .
Possibly why various societies placed high value on more Shamanistic members of there society .
The idea that humans are the only ones whom attempt cross species communications. Through mechanical or electronic sensory aides .
Could be more of a egoccentric concept that a natural one.
Might add here as growing up had noted myself several times daily , imitate animal sounds at animal particularily cats , that lived around my house. once or twice had seem one of our cats attempting to imitate bird sounds in order to lure them to her. ( when you see your cat alone in the middle of your yard , looking directly at the birds , it had so many times try to jump on before they flew away . And its staring at birds on a branch maybe 17 ft away , with absolutely no obstruction between them making a higher pitched modified meeooow sound . Unlike you have ever heard in the cats normal dialogue . Since you had been around it raised from a kitten. This was not a isolated event) You have to consider this animal was attempting a luring type of mimicry of bird sounds.
That might be considered a empathic attempt to cross communicate between species .
Merely speculation on my part but it came to me as a complete concept .

where ever you go ,there you are

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2020, 6:45 pm

Very interesting thought process Jakki. Could be much to be explored there.

Wreck It Ralph

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2020, 7:20 pm

skibum wrote:

thank you.......".thinking outside the box using a razor knife " ie. provided the box was actually cardboard.

where ever you go ,there you are

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2020, 7:22 pm

Jakki wrote:
skibum wrote:

thank you.......".thinking outside the box using a razor knife " ie. provided the box was actually cardboard.
:lol: Love that!!

Wreck It Ralph

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2020, 2:38 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:
I seem to remember that our cat may have sensed AS/HFA - as our cat sometimes appeared struck by even subtle responses to (the cat's) perception of playtime.

Anybody similar experiences?

Related content came to mind: The book: 'All Cats Have Aspergers Syndrome - Kathy Hoopmann'

ADDENDUM: I also sensed our cat was sometimes puzzled during playtime; where it got up a walked-away. Yet our cat also liked us during mellow, relaxed times (that is our cat, and us humans often knew when to relax--at the same time)! !

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2020, 4:20 pm

Not exactly AS/HFA, or even just animals sensing things one way.
Yet I could've figured if animals notice that there's this subtle part of myself that they can sense, reach and communicate.

Unfortunately, the less subtle and forefront part of myself have other plans.
Had I've been an animal lover, I'd consider it a blessing and a joy. But I'm not and it's as annoying as being poked at by any person, I don't want any animals' 'reaching' any time soon.
If it happens and I'm not able to ignore it, I'd leave before the presences starts pissing the hell out of me like any human presences are just as noisy and annoyingly insistent of interacting.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2020, 7:14 pm

Animals can sense a lot of things. For example dogs and cats know who has the status in the family. Know which people are the parents, and which are the children. And like that. They pick up on the body language of the human family members. Or that's mine, and most pet owners, experience.

And you see the odd news story on TV about how a lady's dog warned her about a skin tumor by constantly sniffing and licking the spot on her leg that had the tumor.

But I dont understand how they would pick up on whether or not your are neurotypical. Nor how that would make a difference in how they would relate to you. Hard for me to image that. Its such an abstract thing to wrap your head around: both how an animal would conceptualize it, and how if even they could -hard to imagine how WE would be able to observe and discern them telling aspies from NTs.