SCARY. Response to another thread but deserves a new thread

Page 2 of 6 [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2020, 2:06 pm

A sleep study won't solve anything if I don't actually have sleep apnea and changing my behavior won't solve anything either.

I can see it now, learn to take deep breaths Skibum, well that's kind of the ******* problem isn't it. When I try to take a deep breath, I kind of pass out!

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2020, 2:14 pm

Maybe they will give me strategies to deal with surviving the effects of being bullied in the ER.

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2020, 2:17 pm

I think they believe I am faking all of this. It must be some new attention seeking tactic or something. I can't even imagine why I haven't committed suicide yet!

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2020, 2:52 pm

Isabella I am not aiming any of my comments at you at all. I love you very much and I know that you have the best heart ever.

I just cannot tolerate these people treating me like I don't know anything about my own life. My GP didn't even have the courtesy and decency to talk to me or consult me in any way before referring me to some behavioralust person. At least the first doctor I spoke to told me she would talk to my GP. I never even got a chance to talk to my G about this at all before she decided that I needed behavioral therapy.

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2020, 2:58 pm

GP not G.
Don't know why I can't edit with my phone

Wreck It Ralph

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2020, 3:14 pm

It's perfectly OK and understood, skibum. Rant away. This is your thread to vent those feelings.

I only suggest a sleep study because I know you want a CPAP, and once you are there you will either a) be prescribed one or b) get to talk to a Respirologist who will study your neurology -- even better if you have a note from your doctor. It's one place where meltdowns seem to be understood because so many people have sleep related disorders which are similar to meltdowns. In that regard the doctors won't treat you poorly if you do have a hospital / doctor-provoked meltdown.

Regarding the referral for behaviour ... yes I'd be angry too. Rant away. I hear you and I know how frustrating it is.

My ASD psychotherapist gave me a leaflet on deep breathing and recognising signs of anxiety. Twice. I've had CPTSD for eighteen years and needed inpatient trauma care but she thought her leaflet would help.

I never went back.

I love belko61
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2020, 3:34 pm

I have breathing issues on a small but real scale. My body is almost always in tension - I think it is because I am usually "on alert" when around people. I don't necessarily "feel" anxious, more like my body reacts without my brains knowledge. I have learned to control it most times but on occasion it is overwhelming. Almost like I am hyperventilating very slowly, and not aware until I have a huge red blotch growing up my neck and my shoulders are raised, and my legs are getting rigid.
It's a chicken and egg thing - either my nostrils narrow limiting my air passages, or the tension caused my nostrils to partially close. I've never figured it out.
I've also noticed when I concentrate too hard for too long my breathing can get very shallow.
So I almost always carry a bottle or Otrivin in my bag for emergencies. It's not good to take it too often so I use it sparingly (if I don't have time to control it slowly, or when it scares me because it's worse than normal).
The alternative to the Otrivin is open mouth breathing for a few minutes, and I usually just distract my brain to make it go away. Shake out my arms and shoulders, sing a few lines of a childhood song (childhood songs distract me quicker because of the memories I guess). Laugh about something. Then I just snap out of it and it clears up within a few minutes.
I read something that it might be a deviated septum but I've never had it checked. (caused by birth, or nose injury like a fall or punch)

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2020, 3:36 pm

Thank you so much Isabella. You are right about the sleep study and I was planning to have one anyway. But we have to wait for the whole corona virus thing to blow over. They won't do those studies until then.

I just called my doctor's office and requested a new GP. The lady asked me why I wanted to change. When I explained it to her she put the request in immediately

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2020, 4:41 pm

Funny thing, I am lying in bed, consciously making my mind very calm. I am a classical vocalist. I know how to do diaphragm breathing. I am very relaxed, breathing from the diaphragm, my mind is cleared from a clearing meditation, my emotions are subdued into a clear pool of calm blue water, my eyes are closed (not when writing obviously) my soft nature sounds are on, it is quiet outside for a rare moment, I am completely relaxed, and with each breath I feel the tingling sensation all over my body and the sense that I could pass out at any time.

Does that sound like anxiety to anyone?

Wreck It Ralph

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2020, 5:16 pm

I don’t think so...

I remember feeling something like that repeatedly when I was a kid: I enjoyed it at the time...
peaceful?
Or am I totally mistaking your words?

I love belko61
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2020, 5:30 pm

skibum wrote:
Funny thing, I am lying in bed, consciously making my mind very calm. I am a classical vocalist. I know how to do diaphragm breathing. I am very relaxed, breathing from the diaphragm, my mind is cleared from a clearing meditation, my emotions are subdued into a clear pool of calm blue water, my eyes are closed (not when writing obviously) my soft nature sounds are on, it is quiet outside for a rare moment, I am completely relaxed, and with each breath I feel the tingling sensation all over my body and the sense that I could pass out at any time.

To me this sounds like when I try to meditate myself to sleep. Suddenly I get tingling in my head and it will radiate. I go with it and sleep, or stir suddenly and shake myself out of it.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2020, 7:28 pm

I love belko61 wrote:
I have breathing issues on a small but real scale. My body is almost always in tension - I think it is because I am usually "on alert" when around people. I don't necessarily "feel" anxious, more like my body reacts without my brains knowledge. I have learned to control it most times but on occasion it is overwhelming. Almost like I am hyperventilating very slowly, and not aware until I have a huge red blotch growing up my neck and my shoulders are raised, and my legs are getting rigid.
It's a chicken and egg thing - either my nostrils narrow limiting my air passages, or the tension caused my nostrils to partially close. I've never figured it out.
I've also noticed when I concentrate too hard for too long my breathing can get very shallow.
So I almost always carry a bottle or Otrivin in my bag for emergencies. It's not good to take it too often so I use it sparingly (if I don't have time to control it slowly, or when it scares me because it's worse than normal).
The alternative to the Otrivin is open mouth breathing for a few minutes, and I usually just distract my brain to make it go away. Shake out my arms and shoulders, sing a few lines of a childhood song (childhood songs distract me quicker because of the memories I guess). Laugh about something. Then I just snap out of it and it clears up within a few minutes.
I read something that it might be a deviated septum but I've never had it checked. (caused by birth, or nose injury like a fall or punch)
I am sorry I missed your post earlier and am just seeing it now. I have two ideas that might possibly relate to you. First, I have been told by a couple of doctors that the hypertonia that I have is an Autism thing and that from their experiences every Autistic patient they have ever had has hypertonia to a degree. Mine just happens to be particularly severe. I have also spoken to several Autistics and Autism parents IRL who also say that they (the Autistics) or their Autistic children are less flexible and more muscularly tense than their nt friends and relatives. So that could explain your muscle tension.

Your hyperviligence could possibly be explained if you are a primal Autistic. I learned about primal Autism through a YouTube video by Carol Bird. I had never heard of that before but when I watched her video the description fit me so well. I don't know more about it than what I learned from her video but I recognized my traits so much in her description that I reccomend you checking it out.

Once I am back near my laptop I will try to put the links in. I can't do it on my phone

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2020, 7:29 pm

Please forgive the typos. I can't edit on my phone

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2020, 7:31 pm

Karamazov wrote:
I don’t think so...

I remember feeling something like that repeatedly when I was a kid: I enjoyed it at the time...
peaceful?
Or am I totally mistaking your words?

Peaceful sounds about right! :D Too bad it's short lived because of the car stereos outside

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2020, 7:32 pm

I love belko61 wrote:
skibum wrote:

To me this sounds like when I try to meditate myself to sleep. Suddenly I get tingling in my head and it will radiate. I go with it and sleep, or stir suddenly and shake myself out of it.

That is very interesting

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2020, 7:37 pm

I have pretty much ruled out that, at least in my case, it's definitely not a behavioral issue. I just don't think my doctors will be willing to look beyond that.

I did do some research online and one possibility could be TIAs which I know run in my family and I have had a couple of them before. And the hypertonia could be a factor in that as well.

The only thing I do know for sure is that we need to investigate this much further medically and neurologically and not just be content to throw me into some pseudo ABA therapy.

Wreck It Ralph