Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Cloudman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 May 2020, 7:02 am

Does having friends on the spectrum help you gain a better relationship with your self?

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

25 May 2020, 8:57 am

For me, personally, no, not really. Because as they say, once you’ve met someone with autism, you’ve met someone with autism. Everyone is different.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2020, 2:36 pm

Autistic friends could:. Help, hurt, both or neither

Just like neurotypical friends

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2020, 7:12 pm

I once had a friend who was on the spectrum.

He was like a brother to me and we always had each others' backs.

Whenever bullies picked on me, him, or both of us, we were usually sent to the principal's office, not the bullies because bullies usually were very charismatic.

When I was 18, my mom told me to never see him again.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2020, 12:38 pm

I love my spectrum friends. I've met people on the spectrum who were very problematic, but most of the autistic people I've met I've really liked.

It feels good. A community that makes sense.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 May 2020, 2:17 pm

I think having good friends help me have better relationship with myself. Some are autistic, other neurodiverse in non-autistic ways, neurotypical... the only thing is, they like me for who I am and I like them for who they are.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2020, 9:40 pm

underwater wrote:
I love my spectrum friends. I've met people on the spectrum who were very problematic, but most of the autistic people I've met I've really liked.

It feels good. A community that makes sense.

I concur which is one reason why I have no plans to permanently leave Wrong Planet.

lvpin
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2020, 10:09 pm

I get excited when I make them. We usually get each other better and I have to explain less but apart from that I can't see any other great benefits. One autistic girl I tried to make friends with told me she hated me because I appeared less autistic so I guess that is a danger.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2020, 12:12 am

Before quarantine I used to always look forward to group meetings of HFA/Aspie adults in my area. I went 31 years of life before ever meeting a group of people who I felt comfortable stimming around. I think it's great, though I do hate having to introduce myself every time. I get nervous as the introductions come around the circle. Even though I like them, I'm not sure that any of them are very close friends. We hang out during meetings, but the only people who asked me to spend time with them outside of that were two misguided high school boys who wanted to go on a date XD (happened on different days). Flattering, but no. Since then I make sure to state my age when I introduce myself.