My dreams are vague 11%  11%  [ 6 ]
I rarely remember my dreams 25%  25%  [ 14 ]
None of the above 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 55

KingExplosionMurder
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Nov 2018, 11:14 am

Does anybody else have extremely detailed and vivid dreams? Personally, I've always had dreams that are detailed to the point that I can make a story out of it, and when in a dream state it feels like I'm watching it on a TV or actually experiencing it. I can pinpoint exact details and occurrences and plot points because of how vivid they are. That is of course when i remember them. Is this similar for any of you?

EyeDash
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Dec 2018, 10:40 pm

I definitely relate. My dreams are usually very detailed and vivid, just like I'm actually in the situation. I can actually remember certain dreams that I had years ago (one was standing on a corner near where I used to work, waiting for an emergency vehicle to come down that street, and the person who was president back then was inside, and I was hoping to be away from there before they might come out - but the street and how it curved, the grassy area, the trees and clear sky and all are still very vivid in my mind). I used to keep a digital recorder on my nightstand and record interesting dreams right when I woke up.

Megs22
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Dec 2018, 10:51 pm

Yes, very much detail. I'm always disappointed when I can't remember a dream though. I'm usually more likely to remember the bad ones, but I remember some of the neutral ones.

Sometimes my dreams come in "series." Like I'll have a dream that continues the plot of a dream I had the previous night or maybe a few weeks before.

Also there seem to be a few imaginary places where my dreams tend to "take place." I like it when a dream story happens a familiar setting because in the dream it's like I know my way around. Idk if I explained that well enough, and if anyone else relates.

Last edited by Megs22 on 01 Dec 2018, 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2018, 10:53 pm

All of the above, varying from night to night?

graceksjp
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2018, 5:35 pm

I dream really vividly, but I dont remember them very well. Mostly, I remember them as events that actually happened and get really confused when things dont line up right in the real world.

graceksjp
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2018, 5:36 pm

graceksjp wrote:
I dream really vividly, but I dont remember them very well. Mostly, I remember them as events that actually happened and get really confused when things dont line up right in the real world.

Megs22 wrote:
Yes, very much detail. I'm always disappointed when I can't remember a dream though. I'm usually more likely to remember the bad ones, but I remember some of the neutral ones.

Sometimes my dreams come in "series." Like I'll have a dream that continues the plot of a dream I had the previous night or maybe a few weeks before.

Also there seem to be a few imaginary places where my dreams tend to "take place." I like it when a dream story happens a familiar setting because in the dream it's like I know my way around. Idk if I explained that well enough, and if anyone else relates.

SAME. I'll have dreams where Im like "oh Ive been here before". Those that I remember that is lol. Sometimes I'll have the exact same dream as months ago.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

03 Dec 2018, 9:07 am

My girlfriend is on the spectrum & is like that with her dreams. I tend not to remember mine thou but I have that face blindness disorder where I think in words instead of images & cant see pix in my mind so that may be some of it.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2018, 3:28 pm

Some meds can intensify this, I've heard (anecdotally).

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

03 Dec 2018, 4:09 pm

Redxk wrote:
Some meds can intensify this, I've heard (anecdotally).
I forgot to say it can be a side-effect of some meds from research I've done. There's also some meds that can reduce em, meds are sometimes used for people who have nightmares a lot.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 7:03 pm

What is meant by extremely vivid-dreams? Periodically, I experience those (more vivid than normal) vivid dreams. I can recall dreams which are more or less vivid.

Bumping-up discussion topics on dreams (regardless of whether or not specific dreams are vivid) with thread, 'Any Interesting (Sleep) Dreams Lately?'

LINK: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=385906&p=8483244#p8483244

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 7:36 pm

Dreams are mysterious. It's like you dream in both first person and third person at the same time.

My dreams are full of emotion and social interaction (is this supposed to be unusual for an Aspie?)

But lately I keep dreaming that I'm forced to be somewhere I really hate, like high school, but I am going to be there forever and it's only the first day. And in nearly every dream I have there are loud bells that I have to avoid but to fit in at the same time I have to hide the fact that I'm afraid of the bells. These dreams are becoming rather a bore.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 8:07 pm

My dreams are very vivid and usually completely absurd. I've been told that you can't die in your dreams without waking up, but that's untrue in my case. One time I died in a dream and I attended my own funeral as some kind of astral projection. In some dreams I have the ability to smell, but typically I am only able to do so if it's an important part of the dream. For example, if I was in a rundown building in a dream that had damp in the walls I'd smell the damp.

Textures can be surprisingly realistic but I notice them less then I would in real life unless I collide with them such as crashing into concrete. My dreams are often in a state of constant change. One moment I'll be driving a car, then I'll remember that I can't drive and suddenly I'm flying on an inflatable pool lilo.

However, I have a weak spot. I tend to struggle with recalling the voices of others, everyone speaks in a monotone in my dreams. Their voices seem faded, far away. As a result, my dream usually don't involve much dialogue- it's usually in quick passing conversation. They are more action based. Except for my internal monologue. Songs are also an exception. I've also had poems in my dreams before. There was one about a group of donkeys once. I still remember the lines "See that one with the crimson tail? Sure, he make look cute, but he's doomed to fail" which was said by a voice narrating over the scene in the way you'd tell a nursery rhyme.

My nightmares are especially vivid. I had one where giant gummy bears had been issued the task to see if I was lying. They started off as icons on a screen, then they stretched out and became three dimensional, breaking into the room. At first they were green and smiling (too sweetly, it seemed fake) whilst hugging me. However, they turned red, frowned and squeezed tighter. Then they exploded and I was drowning in gummy bear guck which turned into a vat of treacle. Needless to say, I don't like gummy bears. :lol:

*Shudder* The textures of that nightmare were horrible.

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 8:59 pm

I find that changes in my life result in vivid dreams. I had one recently at the start of the corona virus crisis. Remember places, real people, dialogue, etc. I would like to regularly have vivid dreams and hope to experience lucid dreams. I'll have to start doing something to shake up my life. Maybe talking to random strangers would do it :lol:. I should try that now, might be easier for me when we're 10 feet apart :roll:.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 9:16 pm

I typically have extraordinarily vivid and detailed dreams (and have for as long as I can remember, even before I was on any medication at all). I absolutely feel pain in dreams - the old "pinch yourself" trick doesn't work on me, and I've also felt the pain of being hit with a whip and being shot with an arrow, among other things. Sometimes I can feel objects I'm touching or holding, but that's not as reliable as something hurting when it should hurt.

I've had dreams where I've tasted or smelled things (including things we didn't have in the house, so it couldn't have been that I was sleep-eating and it was encroaching on my dream - although on that note, my mom likes to recount the tale of some relative of my dad's (I don't remember which) getting in the car, driving to a local fast-food joint, and ordering a hamburger, all while he was asleep), but those are rare.

My favorite dreams are the ones where I am a dragon or otherwise have wings, and I can feel the air beneath my wings supporting my body and muscles I don't even have in reality working to keep me aloft.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

JimSpark
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Mar 2020, 5:13 am

Medications can certainly impact how you dream. I have epilepsy, and take daily medication to treat it. I now take lamotrigine, and since I began taking it, I have experienced vivid dreams almost every night. For many years, I had taken Dilantin to treat it, and during that 16-year period, I never had any dreams.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2020, 1:18 pm

Sometimes it's possible to glean useful insights from sleep-dreams. With the current events, such insights might prove helpful.

Any notable dreams to discuss can also be posted to this WP thread: viewtopic.php?t=385906