Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2020, 8:35 am

That's how I'd describe myself . I can do something like this-

but apart from money management, which is quite good, I'm crap when it comes to daily(practical) living tasks . Without the support I get from my stepdaughter I'd be 'up sh*t creek without a paddle' as her mum would've said .

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2020, 8:46 am

That's pretty impressive. I understand what you mean. I think it's wonderful that people have different abilities. I've got a good memory but can barely find my way out of the supermarket. :lol:

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2020, 9:01 am

Alita wrote:
That's pretty impressive. I understand what you mean. I think it's wonderful that people have different abilities. I've got a good memory but can barely find my way out of the supermarket. :lol:

Just don't stick me in a maze and hope I'll get out before going hysterical .

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2020, 2:05 pm

People I know sometimes say I'm "smart" because of all the random facts I've managed to memorize, but I often feel the opposite. I don't have many actual skills and it takes a long time for me to properly learn + retain anything that doesn't relate to my special interests.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2020, 2:07 pm

I am the epitome of “smart but dumb”—though I’m not Mensa smart, nor in the 99.9999th Percentile.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 26 May 2020, 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2020, 2:22 pm

Not smart at all, I only retain information if I have a visual or experiential association, so poor if any retention from reading. I am streetwise though and I have fair emotional intelligence. Terrible sense of direction.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2020, 2:59 pm

I am also in that "smart but dumb" category. Got into Mensa. But can't figure out how to cook lasagna.

But even Mensa only puts me in the top two percent.

you're...what? In the top "point zero zero zero one" of one percent? 8O

That MUST put you up there with historic figures like Einstein, Newton, Da Vinci, Steven Hawking,Alan Turing, and like that.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2020, 3:46 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
I am also in that "smart but dumb" category. Got into Mensa. But can't figure out how to cook lasagna.

But even Mensa only puts me in the top two percent.

you're...what? In the top "point zero zero zero one" of one percent? 8O

That MUST put you up there with historic figures like Einstein, Newton, Da Vinci, Steven Hawking,Alan Turing, and like that.

A lot of high IQ societies have a score you need to get to join. This will be through an authorised numerical,spatial,verbal or mixed test. Mine are through verbal tests . 168 is the highest score I've got.

The lowest-

that was for a non-verbal/spatial test .

Quote:
3. The 'manifold' of variation between IQ sub tests increases with increasing IQ.

In other words, while people of moderately high intelligence tend to be all-rounders, about equally good at all the IQ sub tests; people of the highest levels of intelligence are much more specialized in their abilities. Their very high abilities tend to be restricted to particular sub tests or sub-domains of the intelligence tests.

A super-adept mathematician 4 SDs above average in number and symbol tasks is usually less than super at linguistic tasks (probably above average, but maybe not much above average) - while a literary super genius may be, often is, only very moderately good at mathematics.

Quote:
I repeat: the actual concept of 'general intelligence' of general intelligence (hence IQ) begins to break-down from around two standard deviations above average - in the top couple of percent of the population.

From around and above this point, therefore, ultra-high cognitive abilities tend to be specialized and found in isolation.

This may well explain the reason why super-intelligent individuals such as William Shockley and Richard Feynman were seemingly not picked-out by childhood intelligence tests.

Of course there are the possibilities of random measurement errors, under-performance due to illness and other factors, and ceiling effects - but most probably some super-intelligent people are super-intelligent in only limited domains, and their modest performance in other domains drags-down their average IQ score.

Quote:
4. Problems with discriminating between ultra-high IQ people.

The manifold effect means that discriminating between ultra-highly intelligent people may become merely a matter of weighting sub-tests, deciding which IQ test to use to put individuals into rank order.

Quote:
In sum -

IQs differences above about 130 are only approximate.

Extremely high cognitive ability is usually specific rather than general;

therefore differences between those of ultra-high intelligence tend to be misleading in terms of their predictive value.

http://charltonteaching.blogspot.com/20 ... gh-iq.html

As most of us,I believe, know a full scale IQ is contraindicated when there is a large gap between verbal(crystallised) and non-verbal(fluid) intelligence . The emphasis instead should be on strengths and weaknesses .

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2020, 3:48 pm

I'd also describe myself as such.

Due to my learning differences, I often struggle with simple tasks that you would expect to be fairly self-explanatory at this point in my life. However, I am also relatively intelligent. I am good at coming up with solutions and can make up entire worlds in my mind, yet I can't read a clock if it has roman numerals on it.

Right now, I'm passing my classes with high grades at a University level, but I'm aware that there are tasks that the average eight year old could probably do better than me. I don't qualify for any kind of help; growing up I was often assumed to be lazy due to the fact that I did so well in other areas. If you were to graph my abilities you'd probably get a somewhat spiky profile.

hannahjrob
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 May 2020, 5:14 pm

:wink:

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
People I know sometimes say I'm "smart" because of all the random facts I've managed to memorize, but I often feel the opposite. I don't have many actual skills and it takes a long time for me to properly learn + retain anything that doesn't relate to my special interests.

I completely relate to this.

warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2020, 7:12 pm

I feel this way too. People may say I'm smart in school, but in my mind, I'm completely clueless at times.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2020, 7:33 pm

had a feeling about firemonkeys I,Q. , Can do stuff i am interested in . Outside observations
have repeatedly told me am very intelligent , which mostly i just put off as people just want to be nice
Early on was fairly suspicious that it might be Good. But the other stuff in dealing wth people is obviously pretty poor , even to me . And if recovering from situations , Everthing goes out the window.....Avoidance behaviour on my part of some sitations can be obvious . Havng push through these things . Leaves me in certain burnout .

where ever you go ,there you are

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2020, 10:39 pm

Jakki wrote:
had a feeling about firemonkeys I,Q.

Good or bad?

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2020, 12:32 am

Yeah, I am smart but dumb for sure. Just look at my grades. I think from maybe 7th grade on the best I could hope for in any math course was a C. Then I got past trig into calculus and made straight A's.

I also love to write, and have published 16 peer-reviewed articles and book chapters in the past 6 years (four more since quarantine began, but those are still being reviewed)... yet I still can't spell to save my life. I am only just this year learning that "breadth" is spelled differently from "breadth", and that "discreet" is not spelled the same as "discrete".

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2020, 12:45 am

We had spelling tests each year at public school . I'd score about 55/70 . I wasn't a terrible speller, but neither was I that good at it .

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2020, 3:59 am

like firemonkey, i've scored @ gifted range on one test date, and borderline mentally ret*d on another test date. i don't believe i'm gifted because if i were i'd likely be wealthy and with proper mate. folks with brute force IQ can brute force think their way through life, they have a built-in "deep blue watson" in their craniums on their side. i've done lotsa dummmmmmm things in life, that made my sibs and folks scratch their heads in appalled wonderment. haven't done too many smart things and the ones that i have done i ascribe 99% to sheer dumb luck where opportunity and timing and ability happened to bump into one another and stick together.