Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2020, 5:41 am

I have so many things I need to do that I never get them done. Many are pending due to not having the funds to do them. Some are pending because they need my attention and I am not really up to doing them just yet. I have loads of these since the last few burnouts and from even before that date.
The problem is that I can get up out of bed in the morning and want to achieve something, and either be side tracked or be in a situation where I have so many things needing my attention that I don't know where to start... So I don't start.
But the fear is that if I write them all down, I will look at them all and be overwealmed by the list and still not do anything?
Right now my throat is half closed up. We are supposed to dial 111 which is the non emergency line but our phone diverts it to 999 and the operator has a go at us for wanting a doctor and not an ambulance. I don't know why but all the mobiles I have had divert 111 calls to 999 calls... We do not have outgoing calls on out landline. I do not know how to get a doctors appointment as my local surgery is closed and we are supposed to dial 111. So how I am supposed to get medication to stop my throat and nose from closing up I do not know.
So yet another delay to the above plans while I try to sort things out. Sometimes it feels like life is a delay and othing gets done and I just pro... Whatever the word is.. I just go to bed and lie down or I just sit there having lots that need doing but not knowing what to do!

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2020, 7:00 am

I can't get on with anything at the moment. Drove down to my doctors and a receptionist happened to go out to check their postbox whilw I got there. Signs up that they can only do appointments booked via the phone. I asked her and she said I needed to phone the normal doctors surgery number, so I drove home so I can ring. Managed to get to phone after second attempt. (I had calmed down enough to phone as my Mum tried to phone, and it said to press 2 on the keypad, and she didn't know how to get the keypad to come up on her mobile phone).
I am waiting for a doctor to phone me back as the reception was a little concerned to just repeat a past perscription which is understandable, as last time doctor perscribed a much lower dose so it may not be that effective.
So it could be an afternoon of doing nothing but wait. Which is ok..As at least I have an excuse to myself to do nothing again!

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 May 2020, 7:27 am

To do: create a dedicated "to do" book.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2020, 7:30 am

magz wrote:
To do: create a dedicated "to do" book.

Thanks. I could do with a dedicated "To do" book! The problem is I would likely spend so much time writing lists that the items would get buried under other items within the book...I could do with a system within the book. Seperate sections and also urgencies.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2020, 7:41 am

MG, I have that same problem. Lists help, but if there are too many things "to do" it is so overwhelming I just go to bed and pull the covers over my head. It really bothers me that when I am in that state, I can't even do things that I love to do, such as canoeing or gardening or playing my banjo.

I have to manage and coordinate services for about 130 people with disabilities. The intricacies of the work flow and processes are high. I have an office assistant, but she can't do anything unless I explain it to her.

If you have access to internet and computer, you might look into Trello. I just started working with it yesterday and it looks promising. It may not suit you, but there are other work flow products. I didn't even know there were a lot of these apps. They have a funny name I can't remember now, the type of app, but I read it in a web post from Forbes and googled it. It may not work in the end, but at least I am trying and moving forward. It is free for the basic app.

In the absence of a way to organize your thoughts and to do-s, you might want to try being kinder to yourself. Take a nap or read a book. We have to rest our brains when things are overwhelming. It doesn't matter that you "shouldn't" be unable, but we are. We have poor executive functioning.

You are okay. You are not going to die of a panic or anxiety attack. Try to take loving care of yourself.
(((MG)))

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2020, 8:33 am

First off, Mountain Goat, it sounds like you are in distress. Why is your throat half closed down? Are you sick with a viral flu or is it an allergic or stress reaction. Anyways that is the first problem that needs to be solved. And it looks like you are trying.

When I saw a Dedicated "To Do" Book, the first thing that popped into my mind was something called "a bucket list". This is a list of all the things you would like to accomplish before you died.

Here is a link to a website of a woman who created a massive bucket list and it also shows many photographs of her accomplishing many of these items. Bucket List Journey

A "Bucket List" is a good way to provide a solid anchor to your long term goals. Rather than becoming overwhelmed, I have found it to be a means of unburdening. Once I put something on the list, it frees my mind. It is in writing now and I am free to move onto other things.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2020, 10:27 am

I'd want one, too, except...
It had to be one that I can openly read and bring along. I'd forget it exists if I don't.

Yet I want one that is also protects my privacy, a certainty that no one's going to able to read it.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2020, 10:46 am

I have lots of to-do lists and I lose them all the time. They're on my phone, on my calendar and on multiple notepads or scraps of paper around the house / in my handbag. To reduce all that confusion I give myself one main task to accomplish in the day, if anything. If I don't do it, it moves to the next day. The less important tasks get kept at the back of my notebook, so I'll have a list to choose from if I ever find the list.

I also have a way of doing random or small tasks in the spur of the moment. It works for me. Any time I get up from my chair, I try to do six tiny things. I don't mean six things from my list. I mean, random things. For example, wash my cup, put away two pieces of paper, brush my hair, straighten a mat, and fluff a pillow. Whatever. Just six little things that are within reach that will help tidy the house or be no effort. Some days I have more energy to do slightly bigger things for my six things (run the vacuum, sweep a floor, scrub a sink). Sometimes I can't do six things even if they're tiny, so I only do one or two. It's better than nothing. It depends how much energy I have. The six things really add up though, over the course of a day, if I try doing six every time I get up.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2020, 10:50 am

Things To Do Today:

1. Post about needing a "To-Do Book".

2. Read replies.

3. Reply to the replies.

4. Browse other threads.

5. Come back to this thread.

6. Buy a cheap notebook and write "To-Do Book" on the cover.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2020, 10:56 am

I have a week-to-view desk diary: A5 page size with two lines for each hour between 9am and 5pm for weekdays.
I find it helpful because it means I can not just list tasks: but designate specific time slots to them.
Would that be the sort of thing that you’re after?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2020, 12:02 pm

I am not quite sure what form would work best. I would not do a to do list on a computer. I like old fasion ways.
My problem is that I usually write on scraps of paper and end up with piles of such lists.... Written plans, rough model railway designs and all sorts of things. Everything gets in a mess with piles of things all over the place. So I need to dedicated book... But I need to find ways where things don't get lost in pages as two things. One is whatever I write, I over write as I don't seem to be that good at bullet points. The other thing is that I often ignore this when other things crop up.
Example. I rarely read a book and finish it. I would get disteacted half way in... And have to re-read the whole book again several times from thw start before I will eventually finish it.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2020, 12:03 pm

Stress. Last few days has been a little stressful due to trying to sort car out. Taking the car down to the garage and collecting it. This involves walking and cycling a few miles a time.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2020, 12:07 pm

I use the back of a used envelope. Write stuff down. Cross stuff off. Transfer "to dos" to another envelope.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2020, 12:11 pm

BTDT wrote:
I use the back of a used envelope. Write stuff down. Cross stuff off. Transfer "to dos" to another envelope.

Yes. I do too! Haha. Until I ed up with so many I have to have a clearout.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2020, 12:23 pm

I toss the old envelope. Which is why I transfer "to dos."

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2020, 2:00 pm

Don't spend so much time on planning how to plan that you never get anything done.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.