Do you detest people stating the obvious to you?

Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2020, 7:12 am

Karamazov wrote:
^ :lmao:
I do the same without intending it, for some reason I get accused of being “patronising” when this happens.

2 things:

1. I used to feel insulted also.
2. I used to do it myself, but now I add "you probably know this" and/or "I am just sharing".

The thing is,
I don't get insulted these days if someone treats me as though I am stupid or ignorant.
The difference being,
I have enormous self-confidence in myself now and just shrug it off.

I find it odd that people are so sensitive to someone else's attitude.
As I said,
I used to be also.
But now, I literally laugh (on the inside) when I catch myself reacting that way.
It is, after all, the other person who is presumptuous/foolish, right? :wink:

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2020, 11:43 am

Pepe wrote:
Karamazov wrote:
^ :lmao:
I do the same without intending it, for some reason I get accused of being “patronising” when this happens.

2 things:

1. I used to feel insulted also.
2. I used to do it myself, but now I add "you probably know this" and/or "I am just sharing".

The thing is,
I don't get insulted these days if someone treats me as though I am stupid or ignorant.
The difference being,
I have enormous self-confidence in myself now and just shrug it off.

I find it odd that people are so sensitive to someone else's attitude.
As I said,
I used to be also.
But now, I literally laugh (on the inside) when I catch myself reacting that way.
It is, after all, the other person who is presumptuous/foolish, right? :wink:

Well, I do laugh at such things quite often... although usually out loud.
Which can lead to enhanced irritation levels from the other human(s) in question.

To be honest the irritated thought I get these days is ”yes, yes: I know all that, can we skip to the next bit before my appetite for face to face sociability & capacity to cope with the sound of human speech are exhausted?”

I do get confused by the way the words “patronising” and “arrogant” are used.

How was saying I wasn’t much good at French and didn’t understand why I was in the top class for that subject arrogant? I’m not annoyed by this, and wasn’t at the time: but twenty-two years on the word choice still puzzles me. :shrug:

Why does trying to explain the complex web of interlocking & competing jurisdictions in medieval feudal societies count as patronising when the person I was talking to clearly didn’t know anything about the matter?
Again, no irritation: bafflement at the word choice, what was it they wanted to mean? :scratch:

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2020, 12:00 pm

I am pattern learner and once I learn a pattern, it doesn't take me very long to see the big picture. For client families, this means I don't need to hear the entire song and dance in order to understand what needs to be done. But families and providers feel the need to talk about their problems at great length. I used to have patience for this, but I don't anymore. I want to just say, "I got it, let's move on to fix it," but most people can't handle that.

It does drive me nuts when people in the Agency office instruct me on some simple process or concept as if I don't know what I am doing, and I even get that patronizing tone sometimes from them. At the rate of turnover in Agency staff, most of the people, even ones in higher positions, don't know anywhere near as much as I do about procedures and solving problems. I don't need to waste time going through their song and dance. But I have learned that patience and politeness gets my clients better results than me showing off my expertise and annoyance.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2020, 12:52 pm

A very wise business writer says that if you think that something goes without saying, you should say it to check before getting farther into negotiations. If you are expecting new data, and getting burned, that is irritating, but if you are checking that you both agree on some basics, that is reassuring. I tend to get irritated if someone repeats the same point. In conversation, a quick nod, sometimes with eye contact, will get them to move on, but in videos, I have to endure 3 versions while the slow class catches on. There is also a vast range in what is obvious to different people.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2020, 7:29 pm

Karamazov wrote:

Which can lead to enhanced irritation levels from the other human(s) in question.

To be honest the irritated thought I get these days is ”yes, yes: I know all that, can we skip to the next bit before my appetite for face to face sociability & capacity to cope with the sound of human speech are exhausted?”

How was saying I wasn’t much good at French and didn’t understand why I was in the top class for that subject arrogant? I’m not annoyed by this, and wasn’t at the time: but twenty-two years on the word choice still puzzles me. :shrug:

Why does trying to explain the complex web of interlocking & competing jurisdictions in medieval feudal societies count as patronising when the person I was talking to clearly didn’t know anything about the matter?
Again, no irritation: bafflement at the word choice, what was it they wanted to mean? :scratch:

What most people seem to miss is the *attitude* behind what is said.
Sharing is one thing,
But having a patronising attitude, while saying it, is another. <shrug>

I generally just avoid people in RL.
Problem solved. :wink:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2020, 7:33 pm

blazingstar wrote:
I am pattern learner and once I learn a pattern, it doesn't take me very long to see the big picture. For client families, this means I don't need to hear the entire song and dance in order to understand what needs to be done. But families and providers feel the need to talk about their problems at great length. I used to have patience for this, but I don't anymore. I want to just say, "I got it, let's move on to fix it," but most people can't handle that.

Then you would have a problem with me too.

I like to go over the same thing, over and over again.
I have come to the conclusion it is a type of mental "Stimming"

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2020, 7:34 pm

Karamazov wrote:

Sometimes, people just get their words mixed up.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2020, 9:49 am

I hate it when people state the the obvious to me. My dad did that to me so many times that I finally moved out at the age of 32. He really thinks I'm that slow.

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2020, 10:07 am

Pepe wrote:
Karamazov wrote:

Sharing is one thing,

Ahhh....
Mrs K has told me that I’m unreadable, and it took her a while to not just project onto me whatever intent on my part would best justify her own emotional autopilot.

So if the mere act of sharing x knowledge triggers a given individual due to whatever insecurity, they’ll assume I was purposefully seeking to put them down or display superiority?
Even though I only wanted to help them have a more nuanced understanding of the issue?
Because they just see their own insecurity reflected back at them?

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2020, 10:20 am

Dear_one wrote:
Karamazov wrote:

Sometimes, people just get their words mixed up.

Yeah, that does happen.
Add in colloquial usages that haven’t made it to dictionaries 8O

Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2020, 4:57 am

I don't detest them, I just ignore it. And them too when suitable.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2020, 5:46 am

Trucks have many gears :P

I wish I could have become a truck driver. But not in cities.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2020, 6:04 am

Karamazov wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Karamazov wrote:

Sharing is one thing,

Ahhh....
Mrs K has told me that I’m unreadable, and it took her a while to not just project onto me whatever intent on my part would best justify her own emotional autopilot.

So if the mere act of sharing x knowledge triggers a given individual due to whatever insecurity, they’ll assume I was purposefully seeking to put them down or display superiority?
Even though I only wanted to help them have a more nuanced understanding of the issue?
Because they just see their own insecurity reflected back at them?

Yup.
Funny how so many people put their own spin on what "you" say.
A lot of people don't have a developed "Critical Thinking" skill and choose to invoke their "Emotional Spirit" instead. 8O

Am I sounding arrogant yet?
If not,
I'll try harder. :twisted:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2020, 6:05 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

A goose is loose in the hoose. :mrgreen:

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2020, 6:32 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

For her birthday, my sister got a special one-day course in driving highway tractors. She loved it. There is also an old Road & Track with the story of a visit to the Kenworth school by a racing driver.

Back on topic, sometimes stating the obvious is just for a joke. I saw my friend driving a tractor, and started pretending to direct him.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2020, 6:58 am

I don't get too cranky about it, in case I deter people from stating the non-obvious. And I am very aware that my idea of what constitutes obvious and non-obvious things is substantially different from most people's. Practicality over pride.