Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

swashyrose
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Jun 2020, 7:59 pm

I would say autism is a brain hardware issue
And anxiety/depression/ptsd etc are treated as software issues
But when your mental health problems are so intrinsically linked to your autism, surely it takes more than conventional methods to fix them? The only thing that has helped me with any of my issues in a noticeable way is medication (antidepressants and antipsychotics). No kind of therapy has helped me. Surely it’s not just me. It sometimes feels like I’m so broken I’m the only one none of these methods will help, but it’s obvious to me that the autistic brain should be given an entirely different approach when it comes to therapy.
I’m so frustrated, I’ve seen psychologists, counselors, psychiatrists, they tend to be good at digging up my painful stuff but their advice has never helped. I still struggle as much as every with severe anxiety, bipolar swings, trauma and deeply entrenched self esteem issues. I don’t want to struggle my whole life with these things instead of being able to pursue my dreams and goals.
Is there any unconventional or autism-tailored approach to treatment or therapy that actually helped you?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2020, 8:22 am

I wish I could offer good advice for you.

I feel like you really want to rise from how you are feeling at present.

What actually makes you happy, and keeps you from thinking about how you are feeling?

timf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2020, 8:35 am

The "hardware" "software" distinction has some validity. However, I would quantify a little more in the hardware category. I consider Aspergers (now swept into the miscellaneous category of autism) a neurological variant. I suspect that neurological speed, intensity, or complexity combine to produce the symptoms observed. This would favor a greater "hardware" component to things like anxiety.

For most, coping becomes better with age. This gives the appearance that symptoms diminish. The neurological variant that presents as ADHD is "treated" with amphetamines. It may be that the dissonance between hardware and software is reduced by accelerating the hardware. I assume that there would be a price to pay physiologically.

Since there is significant variability with neurological issues, it is incumbent upon the individual to experiment to find techniques and strategies that provide greater function. It sounds like you are encountering the limits of what "experts" can provide. You may actually be set back by some of these encounters. For example, if you are approached to dig up parental trauma, you may begin to follow a path of excessive self-focus that can exacerbate problems.

It might be more helpful to consider one element that you would like to have improvement with and work to experiment with things to see what works.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2020, 12:33 pm

Have a look at the new science of neuroplasticity - how the brain can re-wire itself. It is so good that the pons device, which helps the process, is being kept off the market.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2020, 11:14 pm

Aspies experience significantly more stress than the average NT. So much so it should almost be our middle name. Stress energy is cumulative. Unless it is vented properly it will over time produce distress (such as anxiety/depression/ptsd).

There are two ways to treat the state of distress. These are a psychological approach or a physiological approach.

The psychological approach, sometimes called talk therapy generally attempts to uncover the root cause of the traumatic event(s) and often leads to the prescription drug route to normalize behavior.

The physiological approach is a completely different approach. It looks at the problem from a chemical approach. Stress instead of viewed from an emotional level is viewed from chemistry (hormones), animal behavior and how the brain operates.

The human brain consists of many components, which are layered like an onion. There is the core, which is similar to the brain of an infant. It resides in the Vagus Nerve and Dorsal Vagal systems and is responsible for “Immobilization” or “Freeze” response. There is the middle layer within the Sympathetic Nervous system that controls the “fight or flight response”. And there is the outer layer, within the Myelinated Ventral Vagal system, the social brain.

Stress can be vented in the core by using techniques that produce neurogenic tremors.

Stress is also part of the middle layer, the fight or flight response. This stress energy is also stored in the body, in the limbs (the arms, legs and neck). Exercise is the key to venting this stored chemical stress energy. But it is a very specific form of exercise called Maximal or Supramaximal exercise, interspersed with passive recovery intervals.

If these stress chemicals are properly vented from the body, the body will reach a state of homeostasis and the effects of reduced emotional stress loads in my humble opinion will make panic attacks, trauma and PTSD symptoms less frequent and less intense.

If you are interested in learning more about the physiological approach, I would suggest a book by Peter A. Levine titled "In An Unspoken Voice".

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2020, 2:44 pm

swashyrose wrote:
I would say autism is a brain hardware issue
And anxiety/depression/ptsd etc are treated as software issues
But when your mental health problems are so intrinsically linked to your autism, surely it takes more than conventional methods to fix them? The only thing that has helped me with any of my issues in a noticeable way is medication (antidepressants and antipsychotics). No kind of therapy has helped me. Surely it’s not just me. It sometimes feels like I’m so broken I’m the only one none of these methods will help, but it’s obvious to me that the autistic brain should be given an entirely different approach when it comes to therapy.
I’m so frustrated, I’ve seen psychologists, counselors, psychiatrists, they tend to be good at digging up my painful stuff but their advice has never helped. I still struggle as much as every with severe anxiety, bipolar swings, trauma and deeply entrenched self esteem issues. I don’t want to struggle my whole life with these things instead of being able to pursue my dreams and goals.
Is there any unconventional or autism-tailored approach to treatment or therapy that actually helped you?
Learning to let go of my past trauma is one of the hardest things, I've ever had to do. I think the thing with autism and trauma is that it affects you differently. That and Autistic people get fixated on things. I got fixated on that as well. Probably was PTSD tbh. For a long time all I saw was that. I projected that pain onto everything around me. What helped me was not focusing on it. I had to accept that, I prolonged my torment by focusing on it. Some problems can't be fixed. Only managed. It's like when you break a mug. You can try to put it back together again but it'll always be there. I can't really explain to you how I did it. You just gotta move on. It's incredibly difficult to do so. Some advice, I can give you is. Do you have flashbacks. I used to always remember this scene of my mom beating me trying to get me to do things for her. It wasn't so much about the physical pain but what it represented and meant. I suffered from Physical abuse emotional abuse and neglect. I like to use a scar metaphor. Your trauma is like a wound. If you keep picking at it it'll never heal. You need to let it go so it can heal. But the scar will always be their and will affect you.

• Don't focus to much on it.
  • It's not about fixing the problem, it's about letting it go so it can no longer hurt you.
  • It can help to forget about it focus on your special interests
  • It takes time to learn to let it go
  • Talking about it helps, however only if you are ready to do so.

I think part of the problem is autistic people aren't always that self-aware and can have trouble processing emotions. I know, I do. Even before the emotional blunting I had whatever that condition is called where you can't differentate between emotions. Locking out your emotions or feelings or memories doesn't work. They always come back. By choosing to block out your memory (Choosing isn't really the right word as it's more of a sub-concious thing) not only are you blocking out the good and the bad. You also are giving those bad memories more power. For years i let myself live in my own personal hell, because i couldn't let that go. Even now, I'm still affected by it. It's not realistic to expect it all to go away. As with physical injuries Healing takes time. OFC i'm assuming you have PTSD or atleast something like it. As to specific therapy. I've not really responded that well to therapy. All OT did was instill the idea that i can use willpower to fight anything. Which is why i burned out at 13. As for Talk therapy, I haven't done that in over 5 years so. I'm thinking about going back into it. Cause my lense of perception has been broken so long that i'm not sure if i'm even seeing things clearly anymore. and I think having someone completely out of my life who could help me confirm ideas might help.
The biggest thing is not focusing on it. You need to stop focusing on it for it to heal.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2020, 3:05 pm

^^ I was stuck in PTSD, and still am maybe 2/3 recovered, but by digging through what happened, I found a much deeper understanding of people's hard-wired reactions than I have seen in books.