How's everybody doing during the pandemic?

Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

higgie
Raven
Raven

27 May 2020, 11:11 am

Hi, gang. I take medications and in order to be allowed to renew my prescriptions, I have to meet with a psychiatrist about four times a year. On May 20 we had a Zoom meeting, of course, and I said to him, "This is a time when being autistic actually comes in handy. I have NO problem with social distancing!" LOL! He laughed, too.

It is hard not to be able to go out to places I enjoy (I'm retired and don't need a full-time job), but I have tons of stuff to do at home, plus I've been working from home part-time for years, so this isn't hitting me that hard. I do feel for those who are suffering from it, though.

So how are y'all doin'?

higgie

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2020, 12:14 pm

In March I had severe mental health from the lockdowns being first announced and all the changes going on in the stores, etc. I thought I was going to descend into insanity but instead I grew used to it. But I'm still desperate for normality, because most of the things I enjoy involve being around people. It's clear that I will be unable to get any buses for a while because my reasons for getting the buses won't be considered essential, and only a certain amount of passengers will be allowed to board the buses.

I do hate all these restrictions. It feels like complete and utter control, and I can't go out anywhere without fear of being bossed about by staff in stores. Different stores have different rules; and are usually controlled by very tense women who stand by the door and look like they hate you for entering the store.

I've always been anxious at airports because of the strict rules in place, and now I'm feeling the same just going into a newsagents or a hardware store.

Weirdness
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 May 2020, 5:43 pm

Here's a solution: don't go out.

Whoa, what a revelation, not spreading a virus around...

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2020, 6:01 pm

Because on the news they say the lockdown is over, but the news comes from England, so many here in Wales don't know where we stand as we last heard we were u der lockdown? But many people keep visiting, so maybe it is over. No one knows. I saw one news saying Wales was under lockdown until september, and another said december and most of the news is saying the lockdown has ended.
So we are cautious because no one really knows if we are under lockdown or not. The planes have started flying again and the train services seem to be more frequent? Not sure.
It is more that no one seems to know so many assume the lockdown is over. It is strange.

Weirdness
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 May 2020, 6:35 pm

Vote for a clown, expect a circus.

I guess some people vote to die...

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2020, 6:42 pm

Just went out for the first time in two months to see the dentist.

I've been working from home and having groceries delivered.
And taking care of my lawn and flowering shrubs.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2020, 7:02 pm

Hi, Higgie

I am doing pretty well.

My life has not changed overly radically since the pandemic started. The radical changes in my life occurred 7 years ago when diagnosed with ASD and 5 years ago when I had a mild stroke, then tongue cancer which necessitated a partial tongue replacement.

I go out for daily walks sans mask or gloves and only put them on if I need to go get medications and when my aide comes.

People social distancing, not on top of me or crowding me, fantastic.

Not that there is not anxiety, especially which was at its highest during the APEX here in the hotspot of New York back in April. My health background and age puts me in the vulnerable population. In addition, my 80 something mom has lung issues prior to the pandemic, so she is very vulnerable

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2020, 7:22 pm

I lost a few really important childhood mentors thanks to this disease, and also a friend my age... I also almost got the job of my dreams... but it looks like they're probably going to cancel my hire because of revised budgeting under the economic crisis. At least I'm alive though. I'm appreciating every day above ground and what not.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2020, 10:31 pm

Weirdness wrote:
Here's a solution: don't go out.

Whoa, what a revelation, not spreading a virus around...

not feasible for everyone (i had to work 3-5 days a week through this whole mess) but yeah i wish more people stayed inside. you'd think limiting gatherings are such an easy guideline to follow, right?

i am holding up fine....i moved to a new state in early february right when things were starting to close own, and the reality was hitting us - am near to seattle and kirkland WA where the first recorded COVID cases appeared...but i am on an island only reachable by ferry, so even my autistically-oblivious arse managed to pick up a bit of cockiness among the islanders, that it wouldn't come here. obviously, it did sooner instead of later. parents sent me gloves, n95 masks and managed to snag soap and hand sanitizer. i saw the masks become more and more common. now, everyone wears one in public spaces, and you are looked down upon if you don't.

phase two of WA's "reopening plan" will commence soon...

i am considered an "essential worker" - apparently it's essential that i give people burritos and slice meat - i've been working throughout this whole pandemic and been going out to take bike rides and forest walks almost every day (so no meeting people)

my life has only gotten better. :|

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2020, 10:45 pm

Nothing’s really changed for me, since I don’t have a job, my mom is the one who runs errands, and I can’t drive and pretty much only have options like Uber for “public transportation” ($$$). I have been going out sometimes, I have an unrelated health issue (iron-deficiency anemia) and have had appointments for that that couldn’t be postponed, plus when I have the energy and am not too dizzy/lightheaded from the anemia, I still go out and walk my dog, so I don’t really feel “shut in” or anything. Basically, for me it’s just business as usual.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2020, 12:51 am

Quite well. Better even.
Downside would be that I can get bored sometimes.
I would volunteer or return to work earlier if that's possible.

For now I just know how to occupy myself from getting urges to break any laws involving quarantine.

But from where I live, the quarantine is comparably stricter and officials are rather more wary.
People here are just a more than willing to cooperate (collectively inclined) and are more than used to calamities involving displacements/being stranded and similar to house arrests (disaster prone).
Not to mention their usual habit of diffusing tension -- even in face of deaths and loss of livelihood is involved.
Sad, but it's just normal around here, pandemic or not.

The closest worry I have would be my mom being a local quarantine enforcer and my sister working at the hospital.

I trust enough that they are careful and strong enough for the job.
They have to -- as any frontliners should.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2020, 10:55 am

Initially, I was worried about the local medical system being overwhelmed. I had never considered it competent, and then a group of our doctors exposed themselves playing winter sports to confirm my suspicions. However, we did shut things down in time to flatten the curve. My life and plans have not changed much, as I'm retired in exile anyway. I had planned to desensitize myself to city life this year, but I am going to Zoom meetings instead, which covers much of the same ground.

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 May 2020, 11:17 am

higgie wrote:
Hi, gang. I take medications and in order to be allowed to renew my prescriptions, I have to meet with a psychiatrist about four times a year. On May 20 we had a Zoom meeting, of course...

I've been turning down these types of appoints after finding out it's always video. Phone, fine, but I'm not inviting my docs into my home via video. So, I'm actually finding it more stressful to make appts since everyone's pushing video ones.

I'm actually comfortable at home, but I'm tired of the new stress to go out to see everyone. With so many ppl refusing to wear masks, I don't want to go "hang out" while shopping or be around ppl like that. I've been stressed out by so many friends constantly txting. Go talk with other friends. Call someone else. I'm not lonely and can't help your lonely.

I'd love to go get a job or volunteer, but I just won't deal with co-workers or customers who won't wear masks, but I'm not putting myself at more risk because they're being selfish. I'm rather disappointed in ppl at-large.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2020, 1:44 pm

higgie wrote:
How's everybody doing during the pandemic?
Not much different than before, except now I wear a mask whenever I leave the house.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2020, 6:48 am

Blue_Star wrote:
I've been turning down these types of appoints after finding out it's always video. Phone, fine, but I'm not inviting my docs into my home via video. So, I'm actually finding it more stressful to make appts since everyone's pushing video ones.

I have a video corner, so I don't tidy up everywhere. I sit in my most comfy chair, and have a laptop near eye level. It sits on a board projecting from a table top, and is easy to slide around. I have a keyboard and mouse on my lap, and refreshments at hand. The lack of true eye contact on Zoom is a plus for us.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2020, 6:02 pm

I feel pretty normal since my life style is the same.