Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2020, 3:16 am

Anyone here with the MTHFR mutation?

What do you take for it and how did you find out you had it?

I read some find out via the 23 and me gene test and I’m in two minds whether to bother or not.

I mean does taking folate really improve one’s autism symptoms? In the high % of us apparently effected by this? If it did everyone would be doing this would they not?

- George Bernie Shaw

Lely
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Jul 2020, 9:42 am

https://blog.23andme.com/health-traits/ ... thfr-gene/

Quote:
Some websites have spread the idea that having one or two copies of an MTHFR variant can lead to dozens of negative health consequences. There are a couple problems with this claim. First, it’s unlikely that variants in a single gene could cause dozens of unrelated health problems. Second, the C677T and A1298C variants are very common: in some ethnicities, more than 50 percent of people have at least one copy of one of these variants. Most disease-causing genetic variants are not this common.*

Quote:
Based on the existing data, scientists at 23andMe have concluded that people should not interpret their genotypes at the common MTHFR variants as having an effect on their health.
In order for a connection between a genetic variant and a health condition to be considered real and clinically meaningful, well-run scientific studies need to show convincing and consistent evidence for that association. As statements from multiple scientific and medical organizations indicate,[14] [15] that is currently not the case for the common MTHFR variants. Our team will continue to monitor research in this area – as we do for a wide variety of genetic research – and evaluate new information as it becomes available.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2020, 9:47 am

carlos55 wrote:
Anyone here with the MTHFR mutation?  What do you take for it and how did you find out you had it?  I read some find out via the 23 and me gene test and I’m in two minds whether to bother or not.  I mean does taking folate really improve one’s autism symptoms?  In the high % of us apparently effected by this?  If it did everyone would be doing this would they not?
Here is some relevant info on the subject...

What is an MTHFR mutation?

Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase, or MTHFR, is an enzyme that breaks down the amino acid homocysteine. The MTHFR gene that codes for this enzyme has the potential to mutate, which can either interfere with the enzyme’s ability to function normally or completely inactivate it.

People have two MTHFR genes, inheriting one from each of their parents.  Mutations can affect one (heterozygous) or both (homozygous) of these genes.

There are two common types, or variants, of MTHFR mutation: C677T and A1298C.

Mutations in MTHFR genes occur in approximately 25% of people of Hispanic descent and 10–15% of North American Caucasians.

These mutations in rare occasions lead to high levels of homocysteine in the blood, which may contribute to numerous health conditions, such as:

• birth abnormalities
• glaucoma
• mental health disorders
• certain types of cancer

In This Article, we look at MTHFR mutations in more detail, including related health conditions, diagnosis, and treatment options.  We also discuss how MTHFR mutations can affect pregnancy.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2020, 4:42 pm

Please tell me that this is a put-on.

The name of this thing is too funny to be true.