About the documentary of Luke Jackson

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2020, 5:30 pm

I know this documentary is rather old now but I've searched the forum and noticed that it hasn't been discussed much here, so I thought I'd just say my views on it.

If you haven't heard of Luke Jackson but don't feel like watching the video, the documentary is of Luke Jackson, a teenager with Asperger's syndrome, and his older brother has dyspraxia and dyslexia, his younger brother has ADHD and his youngest brother has autism. Their sisters are all neurotypicals.
Now, this is what kind of irked me about the documentary. Don't get me wrong, his mother is a wonderful and patient mother, but the documentary seems to be saying how perfect the girls are because they're neurotypicals, and that they were all very happy, easy babies that grew into very popular teenagers, while the boys all have problems.

It's just the way I felt when watching the documentary, it was like telling you how perfect neurotypicals are, from cradle to grave. Maybe I have a skewed view about it, but I just wanted to see what other people think about it. I didn't want to comment my thoughts in the YouTube comments section in case people accused me of trolling (which I am NOT).

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2020, 6:27 pm

It seems pretty straightforward to me. The boys have diagnoses, and the girls don’t. I have no objections to this video.

The 14-year-ole kid with Asperger’s is the main narrator.

strings
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Jul 2020, 10:05 pm

I've only had time to skim over the video so far, but from what I saw I thought it presented a very positive view of the entire family. Luke is very articulate and does a good job of conveying how the family interacts. I didn't get any negative feelings at all.

I'm going to watch it all when I have some spare time.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2020, 10:21 pm

I don't see the problem.

Heck, the narrator speaks better than I ever could. :lol:

In terms of parent comparing their NT child as 'easier to handle'? This is technically true.
But coloring that doesn't mean 'more loved', 'more prized' and definitely not 'more important'.

And the observation is about the family with well raised NTs and sufficiently handled NDs.
Not all families could make well raised NTs, much so on top of handling NDs.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

strings
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Jul 2020, 9:50 pm

I watched the whole video last night. I thought it was a fascinating insight into the life of a mixed family of NTs and NDs. What impressed me the most was how they all got along so well, and how the single mother managed to cope with it all. Luke did a wonderful job of pulling the whole video together, and commenting with a little gentle humour and irony about the way they all made a life together.

That video was made quite a few years ago. I hope they have all managed to have fulfilling lives.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2020, 5:04 am

I do know that it is a good documentary, I've watched it several times because they're all brilliant, lovely people and I enjoyed watching it.

But I just feel a little irked how much emphasis had gone into how 'perfect' the NTs were, as if to say "the girls are NTs so typically they were happy, easy, placid little babies and now they're all popular, happy, successful teenagers. That's because they're NTs". It might give some Aspies the wrong idea that NTs are all 'perfect' and that their lives are as simple and easy as that.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2020, 6:30 am

The focus was on two of the boys for a good reason. The older boy was hardly in it.

One of the girls is also on the Spectrum, by the way. I wish she played more of a role in the video. Perhaps this is an example of girls being relatively ignored because of less behavioral symptoms—like what happens on a larger scale?

Luke, as an adult, wrote another, similar book. He grew his hair and sports a full beard.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2020, 7:19 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
The focus was on two of the boys for a good reason. The older boy was hardly in it.

One of the girls is also on the Spectrum, by the way. I wish she played more of a role in the video. Perhaps this is an example of girls being relatively ignored because of less behavioral symptoms—like what happens on a larger scale?

Luke, as an adult, wrote another, similar book. He grew his hair and sports a full beard.

I never knew one of the girls is on the spectrum. In the video it is said that they're all really popular.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2020, 7:50 am

I found that out while researching the family.

It should be remembered that the focus was on the two boys for a good reason. To educate people about ASD’s and related disorders.

It would have been nice if the girl was also prominent in the video.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2020, 9:00 am

(post removed)

Last edited by envirozentinel on 20 Jan 2021, 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.: at user's request