Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2020, 10:55 am

I find it easier to communicate over the internet... When I'm not in front of them, it seems easier to communicate... Thoughts?

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Jul 2020, 12:37 pm

I find it easier to write than to talk.
In written words, I don't need to worry for intonation and other aspects of body language. I can also take time to edit my words so the meaning is clearer.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Last edited by magz on 19 Jul 2020, 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2020, 12:40 pm

As far as work goes, email is the easiest, followed by zoom (no camera on me!) followed lastly by face-to-face. There's been none of that since covid though.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2020, 12:46 pm

I communicate best online as well. I write far better than I speak, and with much less effort. It also allows me some time to think about what I’m going to say since I don’t have to reply immediately, it’s okay if I take a few minutes. Also it allows me to go back over and edit whatever I typed, whereas that’s not so easily done in person.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2020, 1:05 pm

I’m the same way, but occasional IRL communication is OK as well.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2020, 2:58 pm

I think most autistic people prefer digital to online. Digital communication is a lot more straightforward.

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2020, 5:12 pm

magz wrote:
I find it easier to write than to talk.
In written words, I don't need to worry for intonation and other aspects of body language. I can also take time to edit my words so the meaning is clearer.

I guess most of us do. But you may get the feelings of the people once you imagine how the text sounds during reading it. And you like and dislike the way that certain people and their humor are. But don't worry - I totally like the way you are. And there are some few people who have a really awsome feeling for the language. It's a lot easier to read their texts because they are kind of more fluently to read. It's not me if it comes to English but I get this.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2020, 6:00 pm

I definitely find it easier to write than to talk. But communicating online is fraught with the possibility of misunderstanding and sometimes devolves into awful arguments that would not have happened in person. People are less likely to say awful things to someone's face.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2020, 7:14 pm

Autistics seem to lean towards digital writing.

In my case...
Depends on the language, the purpose and my state of mind.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2020, 1:08 am

Me too, but it's because I have an auditory processing deficit. For me speech is difficult and tiring to concentrate on. Changes in vocal intonation (such as the voice getting higher at the end of a question) are auditorily offensive (like screaming or shouting) and make focusing on the meaning of the words even more difficult.

And people use a lot of "um"s and "uh"s when they talk; I have to auditorily process those sounds and then discard them to understand, which is an annoying waste of energy.

Also I prefer typing to talking. I can type faster than I can talk, and I don't much like the feeling of speaking.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2020, 10:32 am

I prefer trying to communicate on-line, but neither seems to work.