Page 4 of 19 [ 294 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 19  Next

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2020, 10:54 pm

Carpeta wrote:
Nades wrote:
I think all it does is make the stigma worse by people wrongly assuming autistic people can only cope in society if society conforms to them.

This reminds me of this Ted Talk I saw. The autistic speaker is arguing that society needs to adapt for autistic people, rather than the other way around. A quote: "I'm actively being disabled by the society around me."

I hate this idealogy. Like atleast for me it's just not true. Like the only thing this would solve is the social skills thing and maybe sensory the rest nope. THis could only be true for people who are high functioning. Secondly who are you to have society catter to you. Societies job isn't to accommodate the minority it's to accomidate the majority. IMO, The majority should not have to change to fit the minority.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2020, 1:09 am

firemonkey wrote:
Nades wrote:

A little bit of give and take from both sides is ideal. I've sadly seen many fellow aspies who just use their diagnosis as an excuse to plead perpetual invalid status to everyone they meet and they're not even subtle about it. One woman in particular just sat at home and if she needed to travel just expected her aunt to pick her up in her car.

In the UK we have a motorbike training scheme called a CBT which is basically a days training on a motorbike, it's not even a test and it's almost impossible to fail. When i recommended she tried doing the training and getting a cheap moped so she didnt need to call her aunt every time she wanted to travel more than a mile her reply was basically "what? I have autism, I'll crash" and I was thinking. .....have you even considered how annoying you must be for your aunt and how much independance a simple cheap moped would give you? Talk about shooting herself in the foot.

Anyway, she still needs her aunt to drive her everywhere and she's 34 years old.

Have you ever stopped to think that there may be a reason why some people need such help? I have a bad sense of direction and a degree of agoraphobia. That means I'm very reliant on my stepdaughter taking me places. I didn't purposely decide to be bad at orientation .

Personally I find your glib and snide putting down of other people really annoying .

The issue is not whether she can or can't ride a motorbike, it's the fact she never tried and it quite rightly annoys me to no end to see her call on her aunt to transport her everywhere as a result.

The whole context of this thread is not what people can't and can't to do but if they're being encouraged not to irrespective of their ability.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2020, 1:12 am

Pieplup wrote:
Carpeta wrote:
Nades wrote:
I think all it does is make the stigma worse by people wrongly assuming autistic people can only cope in society if society conforms to them.

This reminds me of this Ted Talk I saw. The autistic speaker is arguing that society needs to adapt for autistic people, rather than the other way around. A quote: "I'm actively being disabled by the society around me."

I hate this idealogy. Like atleast for me it's just not true. Like the only thing this would solve is the social skills thing and maybe sensory the rest nope. THis could only be true for people who are high functioning. Secondly who are you to have society catter to you. Societies job isn't to accommodate the minority it's to accomidate the majority. IMO, The majority should not have to change to fit the minority.

The tyranny of the majority? That has not worked really well for the LGBTQ and native populations historically, as an example.

I find you position interesting. You are a member of society. Should society not try to work for the greatest good for the greatest number of people? Or should society simply be ordered by those with the most power and influence for their own needs?

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2020, 1:33 am

League_Girl wrote:
Temple Grandin has said something about it too in one of her books. She feels autistic kids are being held back and she says how autistic people are more employed in Japan than they are here. She also has met parents who said they don't want to bother teaching their autistic child social skills when they are in fact fine how they are. She has even said how there are those who have less severe autism than her but can't even order their food at a McDonalds.

My mom used to make me order my own food. The more I had to practice, the easier it became. She also wrote about how every time she had a "tantrum," she would always get a consequence. Unless it was sensory related, she got no consequence. She was pretty much forced to follow the rules and any rules her mom set out, she was expected to follow them too like the rest of her siblings. She was also expected to use table manners.

She feels autistic kids are not getting any of this stuff and it's not being enforced onto them. She even said it frightens her to imagine if she were an autistic child today. She does not think she would be where she is now if she were born in today's time.

Temple Grandin also came from a wealthy family. She was given tremendous advantages that most at her time and even today don't have. While I am inspired by Temple's story, there needs to be some context.

And is employment higher in Japan? The only statistic I have found is 20%, which is not that good. Having lived in Japan for 16 years, the culture around disability is not that good either. We are also talking about a very collective culture that makes comparisons difficult.

All of this is very anecdotal--I have met NT parents that don't want to teach their children social skills, but a very few. Temple's advice is sounding a bit Victorian: spare the rod, spoil the child type of thing. What data do have to show that autistic children are not taught social skills, that are what manners are? This sounds more like the perennial stereotypes that old people project on the young.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2020, 1:33 am

Nades wrote:
I imagine to most of you it's no mystery that Autism has some degree of a "childlike" stigma to it. Indeed, most of the social groups for people with autism are mostly focused on parents with autistic children. All the social media groups relating to autism I have joined are almost exclusively parent and child orientated and very little is for adults despite the fact most people with autism are over 18. I have managed to find out very good group for adults with autism in my area but that's so far it.
Becoming? I'd say it's been this way for years.
Yes, Autistic adults are often overlooked. Personally, I've never really been into social media. I used twitter for a few months in 2016. so I can't really comment on that. Personally i've never had any desire to be in a support group. I can imagine it'd be difficult to find one for autistic adults.
Nades wrote:
Another issue (at least in my eyes) that has been grating on me is this sudden increase in making public places autism friendly despite personally thinking it does more harm than good and is far too specific to work in practice. I think all it does is make the stigma worse by people wrongly assuming autistic people can only cope in society if society conforms to them. Not only does that concept slightly annoy me but I think long term it harms the people it's supposed to help by effectively trying to make a societal and social "bubble" for them to live in that's removed from the norm.
I watched this one episode of atypical (it might've been more than one) Where this girl who was the boyfriend of the main character sam was trying to get them to have an autism friendly dance and i'm sitting there like. Yes because every autistic person has the same sensory issues. I don't think it's possible to have an autism friendly dance because everyone has different sensory issues. Admittedly I don't know that much about hyposensitivity to light, but i'm sure a low light dance wouldn't be that helpful to them. I know personally wearing headphones for any extended period of time is extremely uncomfortable for me. As I said in the previous post, I despise people who expect the rest of society to conform to you. That's not how society works it's your job to conform to society. Secondly i'm sure alot of people who don't have those sensory issues enjoy the flashing lights and loud music atmosphere and would be put off by it. Like one kid in the entire f*****g school is autistic let's change the entire dance for him. :roll: Like if you can't handle teh loud music or the lights guess what you do. DON'T GO TO THE f*****g DANCE!
Nades wrote:
Over the years I have seen autistic adults who make me wonder just what they could have achieved if it wasn't for the never ending shielding from their parents (Some parents are FAR worse than others). It's almost like some of them have been stuck in an arrested development where they question their own ability every time they're confronted with a challenge despite them being perfectly capable deep down inside. Driving licences, part time work, intimacy with a partner, just...taking on a challenge or going outside their comfort zone a bit, a lot of those recommendations have been shot down by some autistic friends and I wonder why.

My parents are like this and it can be frustrating. They only want to push me out of my comfort zone if they are there to observe. But like with me they couldn't stop me from learning new things if they wanted to. I have a drive for self-improvement that is unhealthy. Recently, i've became extremely defiant as well. I guess the whole rebellious teenager thing came a little late. If I want to do something nothing will stop me. I agree wholeheartedly that this is a huge problem. I'm sure lots of autistic people need to be pushed to learn these things. Using atypical as an example sam's mom is resistant for him to try things. She doesn't want him to go shopping for clothes. She doesn't think it's a good idea for him to start dating. As for why you are being shot down by your friends. I don't know your friends but not all autistic people are capable of driving or getting a part time job. I know, I wouldn't be able to get a part time job. I don't think it's a good idea for me to drive either. I'm open to learning it. It's just there's the danger of my motor skills misbehaving and it causing an accident. Especially now with my motor skills being worse. I'm sure pushing people to go outside their comfort zone is a good thing but you don't need to be extreme about it. It can be as simple as trying new things or going to places that are stressful.

Nades wrote:
I'm not deluded however, I know full well not all people with Aspergers or autism in general can blend in seamlessly with society, autism is autism and it effects everyone different including myself but Iv'e always thought it's good to at least try.

I have no idea what anyone's ideas are on confronting "normie" society instead of hiding to a limited extent from it.

Has anyone else noticed or had the same thoughts as me on the subject?
Me personally, I've always been open about being autistic on the internet. and Have done my best to educate people on it. I've never had any desire to hide the fact that i'm autistic. I know I have enough problems without trying to pretend I don't have them. I already burnout quickly without trying to mask if I do to much. I'm sure masking would make it that much faster and for me it isn't worth it.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2020, 1:44 am

Jiheisho wrote:
Pieplup wrote:
Carpeta wrote:
Nades wrote:

The tyranny of the majority? That has not worked really well for the LGBTQ and native populations historically, as an example.

I find you position interesting. You are a member of society. Should society not try to work for the greatest good for the greatest number of people? Or should society simply be ordered by those with the most power and influence for their own needs?
I think society should work for the good of the greatest number of people. and I feel like it's not for the good of the greatest number of people to try to accommodate a small minority of the population. Autistic people are at most 3% of the population. I don't think it's realistic for everyone to go out of the way for that 3%. I have the same view for LGBT. It's great that you are that way, but don't try to force your views on me. I have enough trouble remembering people's names. I'm not going to be able to remember your prefered pronoun. I'm sure my viewpoint comes from my childhood of no one giving a damn about my needs and what's best for me. Why should I go out of my way to accommodate others if they aren't gonna do the same to me? Society is ordered by those with the most power and influence and since those people more often than not are neurotypical. It's designed around those people. Is it ideal? No. Is it the way things are? Yes. I think that the LGBT community sets themselves apart from other people when they shouldn't be celebrating their differences but their similarities. Everyone is so focused on how they are different from the person besides them instead of how the person beside you is like you. I'm not saying people should be discriminated against. I stand up for anyone who I feel like is being treated unfairly. I have in the past stuck up for neurotypical members of this community. Diversity of thought is good. Neurotypical people could provide unique insight on the issues autistic people face and that is in the best interest of this community as a whole. If you shun neurotypical people because they aren't autistic are you any better than those who have shunned you for being autistic?

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2020, 2:44 am

firemonkey wrote:
Nades wrote:

A little bit of give and take from both sides is ideal. I've sadly seen many fellow aspies who just use their diagnosis as an excuse to plead perpetual invalid status to everyone they meet and they're not even subtle about it. One woman in particular just sat at home and if she needed to travel just expected her aunt to pick her up in her car.

In the UK we have a motorbike training scheme called a CBT which is basically a days training on a motorbike, it's not even a test and it's almost impossible to fail. When i recommended she tried doing the training and getting a cheap moped so she didnt need to call her aunt every time she wanted to travel more than a mile her reply was basically "what? I have autism, I'll crash" and I was thinking. .....have you even considered how annoying you must be for your aunt and how much independance a simple cheap moped would give you? Talk about shooting herself in the foot.

Anyway, she still needs her aunt to drive her everywhere and she's 34 years old.

Have you ever stopped to think that there may be a reason why some people need such help? I have a bad sense of direction and a degree of agoraphobia. That means I'm very reliant on my stepdaughter taking me places. I didn't purposely decide to be bad at orientation .

Personally I find your glib and snide putting down of other people really annoying .

On a more serious note though, having a bad sense if direction is very common to many people, autism aside and plenty can drive hopeless sense of direction and all. You'll be surprised how few changes of direction can get you from one end of the country to the other. In the grand scheme of things how often do we all travel to the same places day in and day out too? It's only a matter of time before even someome with the worst sense of direction can make it to a destination. Nobody truly has NO sense of direction.

It seems to me that you can drive but the learning curve will be steeper. The two problems you listed certainly doesn't preclude you from driving and I think you jumped the gun a bit by assuming they do preclude you.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2020, 3:34 am

Nades wrote:
firemonkey wrote:
Nades wrote:

On a more serious note though, having a bad sense if direction is very common to many people, autism aside and plenty can drive hopeless sense of direction and all. You'll be surprised how few changes of direction can get you from one end of the country to the other. In the grand scheme of things how often do we all travel to the same places day in and day out too? It's only a matter of time before even someome with the worst sense of direction can make it to a destination. Nobody truly has NO sense of direction.

It seems to me that you can drive but the learning curve will be steeper. The two problems you listed certainly doesn't preclude you from driving and I think you jumped the gun a bit by assuming they do preclude you.

I think they might be talking more about spatial awareness than sense of direction. or awareness of where they are ins space. which is a struggle fr alot of people on the spectrum. and would absolutely impeed your ability to drive. Sometimes i just don't register changes in ym envirnment and that would cause problems with me driving.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2020, 3:45 am

cberg wrote:
firemonkey wrote:
Nades wrote:

We're not helping each other's cases. :roll: Some people have more obvious difficulties than others, which is not an excuse to act like one's own struggles are the greater issue at hand. Simply put none of you want to know what I went through to achieve what I have nor where I'm coming from. Nobody here was thinking hierarchically, you projected that on us. People who may seemingly have effortless active lives may actually struggle with anything you might, or anything else.

Could I build a medical case for it & apply for disability? Sure, but I trust American doctors about as far as I can throw them; less than my own ability to get stuff done. Our healthcare is a ripoff even with the insurance I work for. Blindness to theory of mind is a problem for basically everyone. Yes, I have thought about getting SSDI for a long time. I also lived with sufficient pressure to just go & find liveable work anyway.

I wouldn't expect anyone to understand at a glance.

It would be pretty stupid to do that considering you're privileged enough to be hired and not only hired, but hired for your chosen profession.

Some autistic people are underemployed, with degrees far outstripping their work collecting trolleys.

Most autistic people are unemployed.

In my case, if I was just to apply cos I'm autistic, I would be put on UC and expected to take the job in McDonalds when it became available (bear in mind I'm auistic). I get ESA because I've got anxiety issues.

I never heard of someone who's healthy and autistic being put on ESA rather than UC. UC is a nightmare.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2020, 3:49 am

Pieplup wrote:
Jiheisho wrote:
Pieplup wrote:
Carpeta wrote:
Nades wrote:

I think society should work for the good of the greatest number of people. and I feel like it's not for the good of the greatest number of people to try to accommodate a small minority of the population. Autistic people are at most 3% of the population. I don't think it's realistic for everyone to go out of the way for that 3%. I have the same view for LGBT. It's great that you are that way, but don't try to force your views on me. I have enough trouble remembering people's names. I'm not going to be able to remember your prefered pronoun. I'm sure my viewpoint comes from my childhood of no one giving a damn about my needs and what's best for me. Why should I go out of my way to accommodate others if they aren't gonna do the same to me? Society is ordered by those with the most power and influence and since those people more often than not are neurotypical. It's designed around those people. Is it ideal? No. Is it the way things are? Yes. I think that the LGBT community sets themselves apart from other people when they shouldn't be celebrating their differences but their similarities. Everyone is so focused on how they are different from the person besides them instead of how the person beside you is like you. I'm not saying people should be discriminated against. I stand up for anyone who I feel like is being treated unfairly. I have in the past stuck up for neurotypical members of this community. Diversity of thought is good. Neurotypical people could provide unique insight on the issues autistic people face and that is in the best interest of this community as a whole. If you shun neurotypical people because they aren't autistic are you any better than those who have shunned you for being autistic?

At least you're honest about your transphobia here.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2020, 4:11 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
Nades wrote:

Yes I think overdependency like that happens, and a disability or an illness is sometimes used as a convenient excuse for it. And it's often hard to know exactly who could do more to help themselves and who couldn't. One of my own ideas is that if only we didn't all get pushed around so much, people might take a bit more initiative. In short, I suspect that people act as if they're powerless because most people are somewhat disempowered by the ruling hierarchy. But that political indictment of society might not readily explain why your motorbike refusenik acts like she does, or indeed why her aunt continues to do all the running. It's easy enough to see that as long as the motivation to help herself isn't there, she won't. What we don't know is what would happen if the help were removed and the motivation thus restored. The subject might firm up and find a proactive solution, or she might not be able to, and if not then the reasons why not might be soft-wired and psychological enough to be influenced by reasoning with her skillfully, or they might be too hard-wired to move one iota.

Judging by the apparent heat in some of the comments on this thread, you've touched a nerve. I guess that's because the subject of dependency is so politically charged, with the right wing appearing to use the sad spectacle of overdependency as a cloak for redistribution from poor to rich, while there's a perception of a leftist view that giving everybody unlimited, unconditional handouts would make for a great new world.

Some people can't overcome their problems while a great deal in my eyes can if they where shunted a bit. The main issue is have is AS people wrongly assuming they can't do a myriad of tasks because they've had them done for them with no questions asked and are either in serious self doubt as a result or know they can but like others doing it for them. Both assumptions are destructive long term to the AS sufferer.

There is a happy middle ground in what society can do but when someone with AS assumes they can't do somethig without even trying.....well that does annoy me a bit.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2020, 4:16 am

KT67 wrote:
cberg wrote:
firemonkey wrote:
Nades wrote:

We're not helping each other's cases. :roll: Some people have more obvious difficulties than others, which is not an excuse to act like one's own struggles are the greater issue at hand. Simply put none of you want to know what I went through to achieve what I have nor where I'm coming from. Nobody here was thinking hierarchically, you projected that on us. People who may seemingly have effortless active lives may actually struggle with anything you might, or anything else.

Could I build a medical case for it & apply for disability? Sure, but I trust American doctors about as far as I can throw them; less than my own ability to get stuff done. Our healthcare is a ripoff even with the insurance I work for. Blindness to theory of mind is a problem for basically everyone. Yes, I have thought about getting SSDI for a long time. I also lived with sufficient pressure to just go & find liveable work anyway.

I wouldn't expect anyone to understand at a glance.

It would be pretty stupid to do that considering you're privileged enough to be hired and not only hired, but hired for your chosen profession.

Some autistic people are underemployed, with degrees far outstripping their work collecting trolleys.

Most autistic people are unemployed.

In my case, if I was just to apply cos I'm autistic, I would be put on UC and expected to take the job in McDonalds when it became available (bear in mind I'm auistic). I get ESA because I've got anxiety issues.

I never heard of someone who's healthy and autistic being put on ESA rather than UC. UC is a nightmare.

I was put on ESA. What's wrong with McDonald's too? They're not that bad of an employer and it's a start nonetheless into employment. There is nothing wrong with working crappy jobs nobody likes. Only a rare few can work in their ideal professions and I'm not one of them but unless it's a truly horrific job nobody should ever overlook the chance of employment.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2020, 4:20 am

When I type in "adults with autism" into Google I can find loads of information about it.

The only thing I can't find much about is teenage girls with autism. My teenage years is when I struggled the most, and I'd like to find out more about teenage girls on the spectrum.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2020, 6:15 am

KT67 wrote:
Pieplup wrote:
Jiheisho wrote:
Pieplup wrote:
Carpeta wrote:
Nades wrote:

At least you're honest about your transphobia here.
How does that make me transphobic? If i was transphobic I'd be saying transpeople aren't people.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2020, 7:25 am

When you grow out of your edge-lord phase, you'll realise that if you're not transphobic, you use people's pronouns and respect them.

I understand that when you're young, it's cooler to be edgy, though.

And when you're young, it's easy to think that the world is going to be set up for you.

Lol - the idea of someone who struggles socially doing well in McDonalds? OK then... :lol:

This site is getting worse and worse for trolls and right wing bigots which will put regular people off coming on here. I think it's due to the fact that it's anonymous so people have no shame in what they're saying & it's online so people really don't know who they're talking to & there's no block button so it's easy to say offensive things and have people in minority groups use them.

Trans women are women.
Trans men are men.
People that don't accept it are transphobes.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2020, 8:03 am

KT67 wrote:
When you grow out of your edge-lord phase, you'll realise that if you're not transphobic, you use people's pronouns and respect them.

I understand that when you're young, it's cooler to be edgy, though.

And when you're young, it's easy to think that the world is going to be set up for you.

Lol - the idea of someone who struggles socially doing well in McDonalds? OK then... :lol:

This site is getting worse and worse for trolls and right wing bigots which will put regular people off coming on here. I think it's due to the fact that it's anonymous so people have no shame in what they're saying & it's online so people really don't know who they're talking to & there's no block button so it's easy to say offensive things and have people in minority groups use them.

Trans women are women.
Trans men are men.
People that don't accept it are transphobes.

The crux of the thread is basically are autistic people being over catered for in today's society to the point where it harms their development and courage to take on challenges that they find intimidating.

The fact you automatically assumed someone can't even flip burgers if they have mild autism seems to be pointing in that direction. You've seriously given up on life if you wouldn't even entertain a burger flipping job for being too much of a challenge.

My employers know I have some social skills problems and I haven't told them about my autism. If I have a problem during the day they just think "he's having one of his moments again" and that's pretty much the end of the issue in their eyes. I don't get punished for it and they usually leave me alone. They don't however make much in the way special treatment. I still work the same grueling hours in unpleasant conditions and it's fine by me.